Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 2019 Discussion

weatherwiz

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

image.png

One thing that I really noticed today was pine pollen.  Cars were clean this early AM and now are dusted green.  It's cool enough to keep windows closed.  Don't know when it peaks but hope we get some pop up showers from time to time to keep it down.  Here comes one now moving south from Plymouth.  

4 hours ago, tamarack said:

Back in the cold 1960s my (future) boss at my 1st forestry job woke up on 6/17/64 to see 3" snow had fallen during the overnight, on the NW Maine border across from St.-Pamphile, PQ.  No snow was reported at Clayton Lake, 25 miles to the SE, but they had temps 53/33 with 0.32" precip that day so maybe if the cookee had gone outside at 3 AM he'd have seen some flakes.

Been through that crossing several times on my way to nine mile bridge area on the St. John. Might as well still be Quebec. 

Ended up being a beautiful evening in the hood out this way. 

8 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

I contacted Lyme in 1994, it was virtually unknown. I was afflicted by the Babesiosis strain spending 3 days in the fetal position unable to move with a fever of 105. Seriously thought it was over. 2 teenage kids died while I was in South County hospital from the same. I again contacted regular Lyme the next year unknown to me, I thought I had the flu. It passed and I went on with my life. The next summer I developed joint pain so bad I sought help. Luckily for me one of the first Drs to correctly diagnose Lyme treated me. He immediately put me on Doxcycline with a port for regular treatments for 90 days. Gradually I got better but never fully recovered from the arthritis.  Never forget at the time Drs were ostracized by CDC and the medical community for diagnosing Lyme. The govt developed Lyme as a biological weapon at their Fishers Island Plum Island secret animal disease test facility.  The first cases were detected directly across from Plum Island in Lyme Ct. One of the greatest undercover secrets. 

I have had Lyme three times (work outside). First time was a little nasty since I didn't know what was going on and let it fester. Subsequent cases I spotted the bulls-eyes quickly, trip to the clinic, Doxycycline and good to go. Ten years ago, I suspected a case of Lyme coming on but no bulls-eye so I figured flu.  Went to bed as soon as got home. Chills, sweats, hallucinations, I literally could not turn my head.  GF wanted to take me to the hospital but I insisted I could drive myself.  Hospital is three miles away and I got lost!   Lived in the neighborhood for 20yrs.  Anyway, temperature of 106 and dangerously low white blood count - Anaplasmosis.

At that time the chances of contracting Anaplasmosis were literally one in a million. I had the CDC and Boston Department of Health calling and asking all sorts of questions :)

https://www.cdc.gov/anaplasmosis/stats/index.html

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, kdxken said:

I have had Lyme three times (work outside). First time was a little nasty since I didn't know what was going on and let it fester. Subsequent cases I spotted the bulls-eyes quickly, trip to the clinic, Doxycycline and good to go. Ten years ago, I suspected a case of Lyme coming on but no bulls-eye so I figured flu.  Went to bed as soon as got home. Chills, sweats, hallucinations, I literally could not turn my head.  GF wanted to take me to the hospital but I insisted I could drive myself.  Hospital is three miles away and I got lost!   Lived in the neighborhood for 20yrs.  Anyway, temperature of 106 and dangerously low white blood count - Anaplasmosis.

At that time the chances of contracting Anaplasmosis were literally one in a million. I had the CDC and Boston Department of Health calling and asking all sorts of questions :)

https://www.cdc.gov/anaplasmosis/stats/index.html

Damn

16 hours ago, StormSurge said:

Yeah, I doubt Fishers had any craziness going on. Plum Island is locked down like Fort Knox & the Navy property for the sonar testing is pretty accessible, even with the fence.

On an unrelated note, I finally got a chance to go do an informal survey of the FI tornado path. Interesting stuff. That spot where the road turns towards the waterworks took a pretty solid smack. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NW_of_GYX said:

Been through that crossing several times on my way to nine mile bridge area on the St. John. Might as well still be Quebec. 

Ended up being a beautiful evening in the hood out this way. 

Did you go there hunting?  Chasing "Esox alligators" (muskies)?  Canoeing?  I've got loads of memories from the almost 10 years (1976-85) working in that country.

Finally saw a bit of sun after 6 yesterday afternoon

1 hour ago, OSUmetstud said:

May was our coldest since 1974. This -NAO thermohaline slowdown thing means business. I was on a boat tour yesterday with temps in the mid 40s yesterday. Frigid. 

This is fascinating conjecture for me ... Or perhaps, more than merely conjecture, sure ...

I've also been strongly considering the 11, 22 and ( I think it's ) 300 year super-position of the solar cycle nadir.  Solar mins in general are statistically correlate with blocking at higher latitudes ..and I am noticing that the negative atmospheric teleconnector bias in the negative has also been taking place in the N. Pacific arc ... WPO/EPO region. 

Things is ... I wonder if the haline cycle stuff effects the Pacific side; even if so, I don't know if it would even "mechanize" the atmosphere in the quasi-coupled state, the same way ... I think differently.  The reason is because it is such a vaster region of ocean-atmospheric physics by comparison, 1, but 2, the entire distribution of AAM off Asian is also not the same ... Both those factors would intuit the forcing could very well result differently.   Obviously.. .the underpinning reasoning here is that blocking in the EPO prooobably isn't forced by the N. Atlantic oceanic surface density model.  

All that said...we know that the -NAO relationship with thermohaline cycle is real.  Given recent fresh cold water/glacial melt fluxing ...heh, it's factorable one way or the other.  It's just hard to separate how much of that is present, and accountable...when also factoring in the depth of the solar nadir - this latter factor is important as that science is very clearly connecting.   interesting..  There's also a temporal consideration, too; such as, are these correlations more prevalent in winter vs summer.