Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June 2019 Discussion

weatherwiz

Just now, Dr. Dews said:

Another day another dew today, then we dry down for a very warm,Coc outdoorsy weekend. This is what we all wanted and it's here to stay...mid-summer

If this is mid-summer in your mind, sign me up.  Perfect out there today.

64/52 on the way to 70F.

Mansfield Stake snow depth down to 5".  

Any day now could be the last.

Driving through the Notch on RT 108 two days ago though I was surprised to see a couple patches of snow still surviving just off the road at 2,100ft.  Those must've been some massive drifts from mid-winter to survive this long at that elevation.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

If this is mid-summer in your mind, sign me up.  Perfect out there today.

64/52 on the way to 70F.

Sorry but the real hot temps don't arrive until the middle and latter part of mid-summer.

Early summer=mid April-early June. Mid-summer=early June-late July. Late summer=late July-early October.

Then it's winter

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

Just what we needed, .84" overnight and 1.22" for the entire event,  :(  We won't dry out here until august at this rate, Farmers are real late planting here this year, Cant even work the soil its so saturated.

0.40" overnight, maybe a cent or 2 after 7 AM, to go along with yesterday's 'T'.  That's enough to water the fresh plantings in already moist soil, but come July-August we'll need bigger events to avoid mucho watering.   Heard one lone (but loud) rumble - on April 19 - and that's it for 2019 so far.  Significant convection typically dies (or is severely wounded) just before reaching here.

I'll let you know if we ever buy one.

Most recent install here was July of 2013.  Like the fans, however, especially the one in the loft pulling cooler night air past us in the living room.

8 minutes ago, tamarack said:

0.40" overnight, maybe a cent or 2 after 7 AM, to go along with yesterday's 'T'.  That's enough to water the fresh plantings in already moist soil, but come July-August we'll need bigger events to avoid mucho watering.   Heard one lone (but loud) rumble - on April 19 - and that's it for 2019 so far.  Significant convection typically dies (or is severely wounded) just before reaching here.

I'll let you know if we ever buy one.

Most recent install here was July of 2013.  Like the fans, however, especially the one in the loft pulling cooler night air past us in the living room.

Same here on the convection, Sea breeze does a number on those cells as the reach here or we get 7-10’d for the most part.

1 hour ago, Whineminster said:

Ours was around 12:30, nice cell right over me.  Lots of thunder and lightening, huge tropical downpours. 

All the rain seems to be coming in the middle of the night so far this season.....it's like we're on Oahu. 

We had one close strike right around 12:30    Woke me with a start, cat went flying, wife was all in a tizzy, asking me to check on the kids...  they aren't babies anymore...I ignored her

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Mansfield Stake snow depth down to 5".  

Any day now could be the last.

Driving through the Notch on RT 108 two days ago though I was surprised to see a couple patches of snow still surviving just off the road at 2,100ft.  Those must've been some massive drifts from mid-winter to survive this long at that elevation.

What's the record latest of a trace up there??  Is this year the latest?

5 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

What's the record latest of a trace up there??  Is this year the latest?

Nope.  I don't know about Trace but 1" is June 13th.  Won't make it this year.  They can usually report a trace for up to another week with patchy cover lingering under the evergreens around the measurement site.

15 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Nope.  I don't know about Trace but 1" is June 13th.  Won't make it this year.  They can usually report a trace for up to another week with patchy cover lingering under the evergreens around the measurement site.

Can you decipher this? Missing snow data, but "approx 3" of wet snow on the ground" in the comments around mid month.

http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/orders/IPS/IPS-8C3A9F7D-A393-4F84-B46F-FA8CFF91B0B4.pdf

nm...all of this is in NOWdata. I figured PF had looked there and had no trace information so I went peeking into the early coop forms. But it's all there in NOWdata. Latest T on Mansfield is 6/25/1986. Earliest trace is 7/5/1979.

The snow season technically runs from 7/1-6-30 (unless maybe thy recently changed that?), but there's usually a cool season carryover into the beginning of July sometimes. There's a gap of no trace obs from 7/5 until 8/30/1976.

28 minutes ago, dendrite said:

nm...all of this is in NOWdata. I figured PF had looked there and had no trace information so I went peeking into the early coop forms. But it's all there in NOWdata. Latest T on Mansfield is 6/25/1986. Earliest trace is 7/5/1979.

The snow season technically runs from 7/1-6-30 (unless maybe thy recently changed that?), but there's usually a cool season carryover into the beginning of July sometimes. There's a gap of no trace obs from 7/5 until 8/30/1976.

I was looking at snow depth not snowfall in NOWdata... latest date of 1" on ground in the snow depth column was giving me June 13, 1965. 

But there's no data for that 1959 sheet you found with 3" wet snow handwritten in.

IMG_3461.PNG.92cb74098b4a8edadbfa97f6536ae78c.PNG

29 minutes ago, dendrite said:

And I just realized they're talking depth and not actual new snow so FML. (f my lunch?)

Ha sorry.  But wouldn't wet snowfall that's on the ground go as depth?  Like that hand written note of 3" on the ground but nothing filed in the depth.

But I think it's really when the winter snowpack ends, so I wouldn't consider a rogue snowfall after the pack melts out as the last day of snow cover?

Just now, powderfreak said:

Ha sorry.  But wouldn't wet snowfall that's on the ground go as depth?  Like that hand written note of 3" on the ground but nothing filed in the depth.

But I think it's really when the winter snowpack ends, so I wouldn't consider a rogue snowfall after the pack melts out as the last day of snow cover?

Ya I agee.  So the latest(when the snowpack ends) is June 13th...of an Inch still left at the stake?

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

It should count. It’s still part of the snow season. The only thing I can think of would be there was nothing at the 12z ob, but at some point during the day it reached 3”.

The best weekend ever?

Saturday and Sunday...

Beautiful weekend in store for southern New England with lots of
sun, low humidity, and light winds. Surface high pressure in control
under mid level ridging and associated subsidence will keep rain
away and high temperatures in the upper 70s to low 80s. Seabreezes
should keep the immediate coast cooler. Lows dip into the 50s and
even upper 40s Saturday night, a bit warmer Sunday night. Trended
toward cooler MOS guidance given good radiational cooling setup.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

It should count. It’s still part of the snow season. The only thing I can think of would be there was nothing at the 12z ob, but at some point during the day it reached 3”.

Ahh yeah possibly.  The Mansfield obs were usually taken around 5pm...i saw one of those sheets referenced 17z time.  When WCAX still manned the summit I saw several instances of early/late season snow get drastically reduced by 5pm observation.  Like 6" at 7am turns to 2" at 5pm because afternoon temps of 40s when the snow fell the previous night.  Some of the October events drove me nuts because of that.