Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June 2019 Discussion

weatherwiz

5 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Are they worse in Maine than elsewhere?  The only times I have been really bothered by them has been in Maine.  

Everything is delayed because of how wet it’s been, I think it’s a NNE thing between them and the black flies, Brian had them over in NH, The Mosquitos are next up and they will be bad this year with all the standing water for them to breed.

7 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Everything is delayed because of how wet it’s been, I think it’s a NNE thing between them and the black flies, Brian had them over in NH, The Mosquitos are next up and they will be bad this year with all the standing water for them to breed.

The mosquitoes have been as bad here as I’ve ever seen them. But they do seem to be waning a bit.   Today was the first day this summer that deer flies have been bothersome.   Cycles....

6 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Ticks are the worst here.  Just had one on my leg while getting the charcoal grill going, enjoyed tossing him in the fire.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moneypitmike said:

What a COC late afternoon/evening.

Good riddance to that warm, moist airmass.

You live near ORH now right?

The dew point is 68F there right now...

The only reason I looked is because I thought it was still pretty humid up here (just dropped to 59F dew in a storm) and saw your post and thought you were enjoying some 53 degree dew point.

43 minutes ago, dryslot said:

The bugs have been pretty damn bad over this way too.  On the mountain it's incredible, once at elevation they can just swarm you in calm conditions during the day.  I have no idea what they are, black flies, or something else, but they are small and they bite & annoy en mass.  Late afternoon and especially twilight, the mosquitoes at home are insane. 

Luckily up on the mountain/trails there's usually a breeze, and there's a very firm level at which point the bugs just disappear...maybe 10mph?  It's funny, there's a certain wind speed at which the bugs just can't compete.  Down here in town we are almost always calm and it's a feeding frenzy.

Just now, powderfreak said:

The bugs have been pretty damn bad over this way too.  On the mountain it's incredible, once at elevation they can just swarm you in calm conditions during the day.  I have no idea what they are, black flies, or something else, but they are small and they bite & annoy en mass.  Late afternoon and especially twilight, the mosquitoes at home are insane. 

There called Noseeums, Smaller then a black fly and the ferocious little buggers, Out in full force here.

• Like 1

Worked out in the yard most of the day under mostly cloudy skies and high dews but for some reason the mosquitoes were absent. Don't think I got hit once. I even ventured into the jungle beyond my fence line to cut down a small tree and nothing. Seems like they definitely have an up and down cycle through the summer.

14 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Is that 3' away from your window?emoji16.png

13 hours ago, MaineJayhawk said:

The OPEN window no less 

I don't think that window will be open if it's cold enough to be running the pellet stove. ;)

13 hours ago, BrianW said:

Does not look like that it is up to code. You need 4ft of clearance I believe to a window.

Did you pull a permit and get it inspected? Does your insurance company know? They will  most likely want to see the permit/town inspection.

If you did none of the above and that causes a fire you can be guaranteed your insurance is going to fight not covering that loss.

No permit was needed, but I will let insurance know. Installers followed code. They weren't aware of anything pertaining to vent distance from window. Stove had to be a certain distance from walls and couldn't be vented under the porch. It's about 3 feet away.

• Like 1

The Triazicide looked promising until I read about the danger to aquatic life. We're near the bottom of a hill with the lowest part technically wetlands. Cross the small street and there's lakefront property on the other side. So it's a no go for me. Any thoughts on something else that might work - no pets here but we have a garden (and the Triazicide would have worked there) and the wetlands issue.

The ticks have been terrible! Last time we hiked, we were on some class 6 roads one of which that needed to be mowed. I think we had about 30 ticks on us from maybe a 20 minute portion in tall grass. And we've found plenty just in the garden, etc.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, monadnocks said:

The Triazicide looked promising until I read about the danger to aquatic life. We're near the bottom of a hill with the lowest part technically wetlands. Cross the small street and there's lakefront property on the other side. So it's a no go for me. Any thoughts on something else that might work - no pets here but we have a garden (and the Triazicide would have worked there) and the wetlands issue.

The ticks have been terrible! Last time we hiked, we were on some class 6 roads one of which that needed to be mowed. I think we had about 30 ticks on us from maybe a 20 minute portion in tall grass. And we've found plenty just in the garden, etc.

I’d rather keep my family safe from tick diseases over some remote chance I can save a goldfish.

High of 71F up here so far today...nice day that we managed only a couple brief showers/thunder cells and have had a decent amount of sunshine.  

Despite the high of only 71F, the dew has been around 60F providing a summery feel.  Much different appeal than the 71/40 type days we enjoyed just a week or so ago.