Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June 2019 Discussion

weatherwiz

18 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

There’s not much incentive to spend $15k+ on central air imo. We were quoted around $18k and I practically kicked the salesmen out my house. 

I admit I put them in my last house when we converted heat and ac.  This place (and every house in my hood) has it and it was pre existing.

21 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Central air is one thing$ , but not having a window unit in a space you spend most of your time in and having to instead just move very slow , expending as little energy as possible , take multiple cold showers is being cheap. Unless they aren’t compatible in your windows . 

Cheap is different to different people.  Like some on here can't imagine paying $10 a month for high-res Euro model data... 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, West Mtn NY said:

The lack of Central AC on this sub forum resulting in hundreds of post regarding installing/not installing is astounding. 

This is a big decision in New England.  Sure is in my area.  In NYC south there is no point in even commenting,  AC's are in and necessary.  Full stop!

33 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Installs are the way to do it . The thing I don’t agree with is the people that wait until it’s summer and hot to install them.  Why not put them in later April or May and get it over with 

Maybe because I'm still using heat in April and early May?

37 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Installs are the way to do it . The thing I don’t agree with is the people that wait until it’s summer and hot to install them.  Why not put them in later April or May and get it over with 

I put mine in Tuesday, 15 minutes later it was done. I would like rather have my windows all open. I turned them off and opened all the windows last night to fully enjoy the awesome cool night with low dews.  Hot out here today but not humid, back to my regularly scheduled program, stay wet.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

This is a big decision in New England.  Sure is in my area.  In NYC south there is no point in even commenting,  AC's are in and necessary.  Full stop!

Up north though, especially in the mountain valleys we cool off really quickly.  I see people talking about setting AC at 72F or 70F... ambient outside temperatures are often below that value by 7-9pm so it makes more sense to use window fans and we have 3 sliding doors accessing the decks, so open those up and we get great air flow.  

Even on the hottest evenings my wife wakes up freezing and shuts all the doors at like 2am.

Take yesterday, hot day in the mid-80s... but between 6-8pm the outside temperature went from 82-66.  So by 8pm when it's still light out, the fans are moving mid-60s air through the house.  

The days I will use AC (a couple times a summer) is if I'm off work and at home and it's above 85F outside.  

I refuse to use AC when the outdoor temp is lower than the AC set temp.

6 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It doesn’t get hot there though 

Yeah my wife would push window units out into the lawn if they were cycling in April/May air in here because the windows weren't secure.  

I just paid a $150 heating bill for May to early June lol.  I have to remember to stop the heat from coming on (set usually at 64F) at night when I leave the windows open.  I'll wake up with screen doors and windows letting 48F air in the house at 3am and the heat cranking in June. 

It may be fake cold but it's real enough to trigger the heating system ha.

2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yes it did for 2400sq ft. Even if I can get a quote for $15k I still won’t do it....yet.

Best bet is to get a quote in  mid to late fall .  Install prices are usually less expensive then because contractors realize people will be preoccupied with holiday spending and tuition payments that are due in late Dec or early Jan.  And it is easier to negotiate a price at that time of the year. 

6 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Best bet is to get a quote in  mid to late fall .  Install prices are usually less expensive then because contractors realize people will be preoccupied with holiday spending and tuition payments that are due in late Dec or early Jan.  And it is easier to negotiate a price at that time of the year. 

The quote was from last fall. If I ever get desperate I’ll get more quotes but it’s not worth it for now. I can allocate money on more important matters.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

What if I installed in April and dropped dead before I needed to use them?   All that time and effort wasted.  

Put it off until the last minute I say

6 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

The quote was from last fall. If I ever get desperate I’ll get more quotes but it’s not worth it for now. I can allocate money on more important matters.

A real estate friend in CT said most buyers these days won't even bother looking at a house that doesnt have central air.  It will add a massive resale value to your home. I will never buy another home without it. Have you ever had it? Its incredible to have your entire house cool and comfortable.