• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June 2019 Discussion

weatherwiz

That’s a northern water snake. We had one in our basement when I was younger when someone left the basement door open... it was nearly 6 feet long and fat
Speaking of snakes, my wife and I were hiking in the Quincy Quarry section of the Blue Hills this afternoon and heard then saw our first timber rattlesnake. It was a little one, and took off pretty quickly. Turns out my wife had heard another one just a few feet back. Glad we ran across the little ones and not mom or dad.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, HimoorWx said:

Speaking of snakes, my wife and I were hiking in the Quincy Quarry section of the Blue Hills this afternoon and heard then saw our first timber rattlesnake. It was a little one, and took off pretty quickly. Turns out my wife had heard another one just a few feet back. Glad we ran across the little ones and not mom or dad.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

That's cool to see the species seemingly doing well there. Once in awhile they wander down to Wood Rd in Braintree and give some folks a scare..lol. 

8 hours ago, J.Spin said:

Yeah, our valley in MT was only in the 3,000’ – 4,000’ elevation range.  If you go up in elevation, you essentially knock down both the low and high temperatures, and that makes the upper end much more appealing.  With Steamboat Springs at 7,000’, that will have a noticeable effect.  I’m not a huge fan of the zero clouds for such long stretches, although going up in elevation can help with that as well.  It looks like annual precipitation there is about 24 inches, so roughly twice what we got in Hamilton.  All in all we actually have it pretty good here in the mountain valleys of the Northern Greens in terms of a summer mountain climate, but for folks who want that drier climate with big diurnal range, Steamboat is pretty sweet.

The lower annual precipitation in the major intermountain/front range valleys out there (Salt Lake, Denver, Missoula, etc.) means that we typically crush them with respect to snowfall and snowpack, but Steamboat is getting up there with respect to valley elevation.  I’m seeing snowfall numbers reported in the 150” to 180” range, so that certainly contends with the valleys of the Northern Greens.  There’s probably less overall moisture in that snow though, since our average winter precipitation here at our site is as much as Steamboat’s precipitation for an entire year.

The problem with the Greens is that it clouds up by 10am and rains every day. 

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

That's cool to see the species seemingly doing well there. Once in awhile they wander down to Wood Rd in Braintree and give some folks a scare..lol. 

Yeah, somebody was bitten last year at on of the hotels on Wood Road.  They do seem to be expanding their territory in the Blue Hills.  I've been hiking there for 20 years, and this was my first encounter.

28 minutes ago, HimoorWx said:

Yeah, somebody was bitten last year at on of the hotels on Wood Road.  They do seem to be expanding their territory in the Blue Hills.  I've been hiking there for 20 years, and this was my first encounter.

The little ones venom is concentrated and more dangerous than the adult ones 

33 minutes ago, HimoorWx said:

Makes sense by the Quarries. 

Mm.. .the FRH grid is unremarkable over SNE as suggested by the three-point triangular mean between LGA-ALB-BOS...  It's a trick we learned prior to having all these "I don't have to analyse" conveniences available to even lay-people..  Anyway, LI's are -1 or -2 out in the western sections, and +2 over the east...  Lifted Index is a decent base-line metric for being related specifically to vertical temperature/lapse rates among other variables - lacking buoyancy isn't a bangy vibe... 

We'll see...  things can change between now and then. 

I rather like the appeal for D6/7 out there ... it's like the pea-hailer signal from two days ago on 'roids... That's got an EML air mass ( or hybrid variant ) near by and should that error in the Euro and GGEM and get into the region as that wind max slides overhead from the NW  ( similar to Saturday ...) ..we have NW -- SE strafed convection.   It's been on the charts for a two or three days ... and probably wouldn't mention it until mid week, but just sayn' cuz of the subject matter.  It would be a west wind at the surface, with rapid mid level height falls and wind streak over from the NW/NNW ..which makes bulk shear very positive albeit rotated around the dial - we sometimes get severe in this region from that rotation of vectors.   Substantive heating notwithstanding...

26 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

The little ones venom is concentrated and more dangerous than the adult ones 

Glad I know that now and not yesterday! I'm not fond of snakes at all, so my reaction was a bit odd - I herd the rattle and didn't really react except to look down and see the little guy about two feet to my left.  The snake took off before I did, and then I finally put it all together.  Rattle + snake = rattlesnake.  :poster_oops:

14 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Makes sense by the Quarries. 

Yeah, plenty of rocky terrain there.  This was just south of Ricciuti Drive, not across the street where all the rock climbers go.  Funny, we were just out in snake country in Utah at Arches and Canyonlands and never saw a hint of a rattler and then I come back here and find one.

On 6/22/2019 at 6:56 AM, Hoth said:

On an unrelated note, I finally got a chance to go do an informal survey of the FI tornado path. Interesting stuff. That spot where the road turns towards the waterworks took a pretty solid smack. 

Yes, that was definitely the spot with the most damage. It's amazing that the house there (Roadview) only sustained minimal damage. Trees fell all around it.

When I walked Isabella Beach Rd. the day of the storm, I didn't think tornado until I reached the end where it meets Old Mallory Rd. That's when I saw tops of trees with twisting damage. Once I came back onto the main road, it was pretty evident.

• Like 1

I remember reading something about how easy it was to wipe out timber rattlesnakes as they all den together over the winter. You would find there den and could kill a few dozen easily. 

Heard a story from my friends grandfathered who had a place in VT near Rutland in the 50s. Found a den of them smoked them out and killed like 2 dozen of them with a shotgun in minutes.  

timber rattlesnake 02.jpg

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, MetHerb said:

One of my favorite places to visit out west is Stanley, ID.  It's a great basin and climate.  Nice warm days and cold nights.  Lots of recreation out there and the mountains look like the Tetons but without the crowds.

Yeah, Stanley is an incredible/unique location.  Unless it’s socked in or something and you can’t see the surroundings, it’s really impossible to head through there and not have some sort of WTF exclamation.  The town is in the 6,000’ – 7,000’ elevation range and surrounded by mountains in all directions, including the dramatic Sawtooths at 10,000’ – 11,000’.  That area is pretty extreme when it comes to the dry climate and diurnal range we’ve been talking about.  Even up at that elevation, it looks like they only get about 12 inches of precipitation a year, and if you check out the average minimum temperatures they’re within just a few degrees of freezing throughout the entire summer.  So, frost/freeze is possible essentially any day.  Not that it really matters unless you’re trying to grown your own food, but I’m not sure if they really have much of a growing season.  It’s hard to figure out why the town is even there though, (I guess tourism nowadays), but it looks like the population at the most recent census was 63, down from 100 at the previous census.  It’s certainly a unique place.

tc-overview-hero-1800x828.jpg

OverView-01-b-1500x600.jpg

38 minutes ago, BrianW said:

I remember reading something about how easy it was to wipe out timber rattlesnakes as they all den together over the winter. You would find there den and could kill a few dozen easily. 

Heard a story from my friends grandfathered who had a place in VT near Rutland in the 50s. Found a den of them smoked them out and killed like 2 dozen of them with a shotgun in minutes.  

timber rattlesnake 02.jpg

Why ...  

just for the yee-haw shits and giggles ?

19 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Why ...  

just for the yee-haw shits and giggles ?

There was a bounty paid on them in NY untill the 70s. Supposedly  a guy named Art Moore in NY claims to have killed 15,000 and its thought he just about wiped out the species. 

9 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

meh.

There may be some stuff during the morning with that batch that moves through but don't think we see much develop during the afternoon. 

12z NAM is more unstable...  regionally - 

not sure it will/would translate to whatever folks have in mind, but... get west of the marine influence with those RH fields suggests some SB CAPE production under less stable LI's than the previous model cycle. 

I've mentioned this in the past, the NAM isn't a terrible model for convective initialization ... We seem to be teetering for tomorrow, oscillating just above and below neutral buoyancy in the NAM.