• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June 2019 Discussion

weatherwiz

That patterning is also consistent with water moccasin ... a decidedly more dangerous species ( btw ).   Have to look at the head's geometric configuration and other anatomic features, which are unfortunately not well exposed in that photo.  It probably is a common water snake - by virtue of the fact that cottonmouths aren't northern species ( I don't think?) ... Many species of non-venomus reptiles are mimickers of other more dangerous variety.  There's one species, ...I can't recall, but it is native to the north, and even splays its neck like a cobra... But, that's off course impossible 

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Jackets and sweatshirts by 8:00. No thanks. You want warmth and dews so you can hang out with no shivering . Summer is not 55 and chill as soon as sun sets . Puff puff pass 

It's still 70s at 8pm... this time of year with the long daylight it's really only chilly when you are actually sleeping, like 12a-4a.  

But just to get this right, you want high heat and dews so you can enjoy the outdoors after 8pm?  Why not just enjoy it during the actual day?

There's no doubt in my mind if I polled everyone at the mountain today enjoying outdoor activities that today's weather would rank near perfection for them.

Yep, this is the definition of summer imo..mid 80s, little bit of humidity, light haze off in the distance, long days, you get the idea! All we need is a bit of a light show in the late evening to keep the bbq in our stomaches from getting too settled and we call it a day! Seriously though, this is perfection this time of year..

29 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It's still 70s at 8pm... this time of year with the long daylight it's really only chilly when you are actually sleeping, like 12a-4a.  

But just to get this right, you want high heat and dews so you can enjoy the outdoors after 8pm?  Why not just enjoy it during the actual day?

There's no doubt in my mind if I polled everyone at the mountain today enjoying outdoor activities that today's weather would rank near perfection for them.

No one is enjoying a swamp azz kind of day, No one.

53 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Crappy day in VT I hardly worked up a sweat :)

lake.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Nice!  I love that hike and it's the best lake in VT in my opinion.  

Unfortunately it sounds like it was a crappy day everywhere, not only VT ;)

Yeah but the lake was cool, clean and relatively bug-free for an after hike swim. If only we had oppressive dew points!

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yesterday's max/min was 75/48 and today so far is 79/47... nothing better than sunshine with temps in the mid/upper 70s and overnight lows in the 40s. 

I could do this weather for months.

26 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It’s one of the huge appeals of a mountain climate like we have in many parts of NNE, and why so many people love the summers in the intermountain west.  It was quite pronounced when we lived in Montana, where it would typically drop into the 40s F at night throughout the summer.  The cooling at night was perfect for getting a great night’s sleep.  There was a big diurnal temperature range, but it was produced by a more pronounced effect on both ends though, and the daytime effect was less appealing.  Yeah, sure, it’s a “dry” heat, but going for what seemed like weeks on end with blazing sun and temperatures around 90 F was tough.  The average annual rainfall in town was 13 inches, so as you can imagine, you’re not getting a ton of precipitation days for relief from the heat.  If I do a quick check on July high/low temperature averages it’s easy to see that bigger diurnal range in MT.  Here in Waterbury, VT the averages are 79°/56° whereas where we lived in Hamilton, MT it’s 85°/50°.  You can see there’s essentially a 6 F extension on each end.  If your average high is 85 F though, it’s going to be fairly easy to get up toward 90 F on a lot of days, so stretches of hot and dry are common.

I guess holding onto heat and dews is something to look for if you’re keen on hosting a late night pool party, but in general, night warmth and high dews seems like a hassle.  That’s literally a recipe for breeding bugs and requiring air conditioning.  The beauty of the cool nights is that you just leave those windows open and let the cool mountain air waft right in and do its’ thing.  If you’re outside you just pop on a sweatshirt or whatever and let the fire pit blaze.  It’s a mountain climate/culture thing that’s appealing to a lot of folks, but it seems like the same sort of thing that takes place on the beach for people in that environment.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ineedsnow said:

Anyone know wth kind of snake this is??? My friends  mom saw it dead on the side of the road yesterday as she was walking in Feeding Hills!! I didnt even think we had anything  like this around  here!! I dont mind snakes but seriously I would freak

64718657_681376255644495_655134051971104768_o.jpg

That’s a northern water snake. We had one in our basement when I was younger when someone left the basement door open... it was nearly 6 feet long and fat

7 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

It’s one of the huge appeals of a mountain climate like we have in many parts of NNE, and why so many people love the summers in the intermountain west.  It was quite pronounced when we lived in Montana, where it would typically drop into the 40s F at night throughout the summer.  The cooling at night was perfect for getting a great night’s sleep.  There was a big diurnal temperature range, but it was produced by a more pronounced effect on both ends though, and the daytime effect was less appealing.  Yeah, sure, it’s a “dry” heat, but going for what seemed like weeks on end with blazing sun and temperatures around 90 F was tough.  The average annual rainfall in town was 13 inches, so as you can imagine, you’re not getting a ton of precipitation days for relief from the heat.  If I do a quick check on July high/low temperature averages it’s easy to see that bigger diurnal range in MT.  Here in Waterbury, VT the averages are 79°/56° whereas where we lived in Hamilton, MT it’s 85°/50°.  You can see there’s essentially a 6 F extension on each end.  If your average high is 85 F though, it’s going to be fairly easy to get up toward 90 F on a lot of days, so stretches of hot and dry are common.

I've always been jealous of the inter-mountain west summer climate.  Some of those ski towns see stuff like highs well in the 80s and lows in the 35-45F range for like 2-3 months straight.

Just looking at the extended forecast for say Steamboat, CO reveals days like we just experienced here in New England on repeat.  Highs of 79-85F and lows of 43-48F for days and days...with zero clouds.

17 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

That’s a northern water snake. We had one in our basement when I was younger when someone left the basement door open... it was nearly 6 feet long and fat

As N. sipedon ages, the color darkens, and the pattern becomes obscure. Some individuals will become almost completely black. The belly also varies in color. It can be white, yellow, or gray. 

Must be an old one I've never seen one that dark . 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I've always been jealous of the inter-mountain west summer climate.  Some of those ski towns see stuff like highs well in the 80s and lows in the 35-45F range for like 2-3 months straight.

Just looking at the extended forecast for say Steamboat, CO reveals days like we just experienced here in New England on repeat.  Highs of 79-85F and lows of 43-48F for days and days...with zero clouds.

Jackson Hole in late summer is hard to beat . 

72° F high today. Still haven't hit 80° F here. In fact, the highest reading so far is 75° F back on May 19th. 

It would be awesome to go the entire summer without reaching 80° F. I doubt that happens, but it pretty much takes an act of God to get it to 85+° F here. 

Sprinkler is running on the new grass. I haven't had a significant rain since last Sunday and the top couple inches of the dirt is beginning to get dry. 

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

So sitting outside on a  cool summer night in a sweater is unpleasant but when it's hot, sticky and bugs are swarming around your head, everything is nirvana. You can't reason with that logic. It's either BS or insanity. 

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah, I'd love to experience that weather/climate.  That area and the West Yellowstone weather station can put up some impressive diurnal ranges. 

One of my favorite places to visit out west is Stanley, ID.  It's a great basin and climate.  Nice warm days and cold nights.  Lots of recreation out there and the mountains look like the Tetons but without the crowds.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah, our valley in MT was only in the 3,000’ – 4,000’ elevation range.  If you go up in elevation, you essentially knock down both the low and high temperatures, and that makes the upper end much more appealing.  With Steamboat Springs at 7,000’, that will have a noticeable effect.  I’m not a huge fan of the zero clouds for such long stretches, although going up in elevation can help with that as well.  It looks like annual precipitation there is about 24 inches, so roughly twice what we got in Hamilton.  All in all we actually have it pretty good here in the mountain valleys of the Northern Greens in terms of a summer mountain climate, but for folks who want that drier climate with big diurnal range, Steamboat is pretty sweet.

The lower annual precipitation in the major intermountain/front range valleys out there (Salt Lake, Denver, Missoula, etc.) means that we typically crush them with respect to snowfall and snowpack, but Steamboat is getting up there with respect to valley elevation.  I’m seeing snowfall numbers reported in the 150” to 180” range, so that certainly contends with the valleys of the Northern Greens.  There’s probably less overall moisture in that snow though, since our average winter precipitation here at our site is as much as Steamboat’s precipitation for an entire year.

40 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

72° F high today. Still haven't hit 80° F here. In fact, the highest reading so far is 75° F back on May 19th. 

It would be awesome to go the entire summer without reaching 80° F. I doubt that happens, but it pretty much takes an act of God to get it to 85+° F here. 

Sprinkler is running on the new grass. I haven't had a significant rain since last Sunday and the top couple inches of the dirt is beginning to get dry. 

The Woodford RAWS was 75° today...so 3° higher than your 72°. They hit 92° on 7/22/2011 so maybe that would’ve been 87-89° at your place? 90° has to be damn near impossible.

• Like 1