Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June 2019 Discussion

weatherwiz

Anyway, back here on planet Now ...

Hey, a warm week looking more likely.  Could it be, we actually succeed this time? 

The GFSX MOS ... despite the synoptic evolution of that particular model looking like a cool distraction whenever physics can allow it to ... has maintained warmer series of days relative to that synoptic appeal.  It's funny when its machine numbers do that - look warmer(cooler) relative to its synoptics ... its like 'actions speak louder than words.'  Its telling us lube up on the cool(warm) side in those instances, yet the statistics prove that under similar circumstances in the past, it must have busted - so the model kind of 'gets caught' lying.  Heh. 

I don't know of any Euro MOS in existence ... but its synoptic evolution has now survived some four cycles back-to-back where it maintains 850 mb temperatures over +12 C for pretty much everyone in the pan-sub-forum, with the plausible exception of seagull-fecal glazed low-tide cays off Kennebunkport ME.  Nick may be SOL up his way as the vestigial tendency to not establish a westerly component off the continent will still plague the NF/NS maritime regions... But for here back through the OV... provided there isn't substantive cloud contamination ... that's probably mid 80s to near 90 every day from D4 to 9.

Tell you the truth, D6 threatens a very serious couple of days of SW heat releases but ... phew, duck. The pattern just gets it that close and then doesn't pull the trigger to really bulge the Chicago ridge axis in...which would probably ignite a continental conveyor out of the SW if that happened... But instead, despite the clear aggressive ( at long last ) rising NAO modeled by it, and the GEFs mean ( btw ) for that matter, the model deflates and re-establishes a NW ablation of the heat signal by late D9  ... It's close.  I'd watch it... I'm not totally opposed to the notion so long as the NAO looks like this out there in time:

image.png.d85279e66d411a28e2c8c13586f61390.png

The PNA is less correlative in JJA ... that reduction in that particular teleconnector is thought to be because the R-wave structuring around the globe becomes less orderly and also, meandering ... So statistically, a ridge in x doesn't correlate to a trough in y as frequently as it would in January...and on and so on.  However, the NAO ... by virtue of both being a smaller domain space, and...close to us, might be why of the two it appears to maintain at least some usefulness during JJA N. hemisphere.

Usual caveats apply...  This is notwithstanding continuity ...  We've seen stochastic behavior in the NAO prognostics from the GEFs mean.   Also... the EPS ( thanks Steve ) was a little less emphatic with the NAO rise ...although it still had some.  These curves above are also mop-ended... which means there's some disagreement with how positive the domain gets - which quite likely means 'where' is a problem too.  But by and large, the mean is positive...

If it finally breaks that way ... mm, okay.  We heat up.. however much

Right on cue... when models and machines and man start the warm discussion, for very empirical reasons ..not merely speculative, too, snow finds a way into the fray. These utterly antithetical winter/snow themes ... they always happen.  Not just because someone out there is snowing now - if they weren't ... we'd up on crag in the Himalayas somewhere...

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Right on cue... when models and machines and man start the warm discussion, for very empirical reasons ..not merely speculative, too, snow finds a way into the fray. These utterly antithetical winter/snow themes ... they always happen.  Not just because someone out there is snowing now - if they weren't ... we'd up on crag in the Himalayas somewhere...

I just picture you having a minor stroke at the keyboard.  

That snow out west is getting down to relatively low levels for the summer solstice.  

Had an exciting low of 48F last night and now up into the 60s.

Yeah... still yet another way to look at it... some have real angst issues with summer weather/climate, to the point where they have to do whatever they can to offset and escape the unmitigated horror of an 82 sunny outside -

Anyway ...nice towers out there.  A few even glaciating already.

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Tippy is triggered 

Close to a 7-paragraph psych analysis time.  

I mean, people post lightning videos from Oklahoma, huge hail from Nebraska, wind from Italy...hell, 18 soundings from Iowa by Wiz but nothing triggers though like posts of a widespread winter storm after the summer solstice :lol:.

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Close to a 7-paragraph psych analysis time.  

I mean, people post lightning videos from Oklahoma, huge hail from Nebraska, wind from Italy...hell, 18 soundings from Iowa by Wiz but nothing triggers though like posts of a widespread winter storm after the summer solstice :lol:.

You have any isolated patches on the mountain to post? LOL

12 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

You have any isolated patches on the mountain to post? LOL

Lol a rotting dirty pile under an evergreen at 4kft?  

So as to not show my angst and inner hatred for 82F weather, I'll post some crispy Cu today... this cell coming over the ridge line from the west side led to an isolated 5-min downpour on the mountain.  

IMG_3584.JPG.6a88cbed9849a9f89627a107afc1d17d.JPG

See ... NAM's convective parameterization kind of saves that models usefulness in my mind.

I've noticed this in the past... particularly at < 36 hour leads ...tho this one it seemed to peg further out in time... It sees these sort of tower days pretty well...  I said two days ago, tongue-in-cheek, that SPC would hash New England out when it got closer in time ... based solely on the NAM.  

8 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Just came in from a couple of hours of mowing.  Screen shot from webcam a little while ago.  Lots of towers/anvils around.  These things are booking SSE.  Free visual entertainment as I mowed with my 52" zero turn.  Listen to music as I went along....  all is good.

Untitled.jpg

We got the lapse rates but lack CAPE

These remind me of desert SW/western plateau capillatus that start forest fire - heh... but seriously - they seem to explode more so into virga shrouded messes with only brief tendrils of rain making it all the way down.

• Like 1