Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June 2019 Discussion

weatherwiz

3 hours ago, dendrite said:

LCI 79/25

Just wow.

SLK 74/18

Wow.  That's some rare stuff in June to see dews across NY/VT/NH dipping below freezing at spots. 

Dews in the teens while temps are in the mid-70s is some Arizona stuff.  Their 12% RH is as low as I can find for an ASOS this afternoon.

KSLK 081951Z AUTO VRB05KT 10SM CLR 23/M08 A3021 RMK AO2 SLP231 T02331078 TSNO

Edit:  CON with another good one at 80/30 for 16% RH.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Dews said:

it's going to be a frigid night

I was thinking that... these low dew points in the teens/20s/30s are going to lead to an absolute plummet of temps after sunset.  The cirrus has cleared and there's not a cloud in the sky with a calm wind here, it has that feel where we are going to lose 20 degrees in 2-3 hours once the sun finally disappears.

Then tomorrow we have moderating temps at 925mb and 850mb...so should see some real good diurnal temperature changes, especially for the radiators and mountain valleys where we could tickle 30s tonight and then see 80s tomorrow.

38 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I was thinking that... these low dew points in the teens/20s/30s are going to lead to an absolute plummet of temps after sunset.  The cirrus has cleared and there's not a cloud in the sky with a calm wind here, it has that feel where we are going to lose 20 degrees in 2-3 hours once the sun finally disappears.

Then tomorrow we have moderating temps at 925mb and 850mb...so should see some real good diurnal temperature changes, especially for the radiators and mountain valleys where we could tickle 30s tonight and then see 80s tomorrow.

Yeah, already dropping fairly quickly here. Enjoy your 30's

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

MAV has 82/35 at BML tomorrow.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, ineedsnow said:

Couple weeks to go and the days start getting shorter again :)

As much as I love winter, and I do, it’s hard to beat these type of summer nights when the light lingers in the sky late and the smoke from backyard fires lingers in the air. This is as much of the reason that I love living in NNE as fall and winter. Now, I f I could get rid of mud season, life would be nearly perfect. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, mreaves said:

As much as I love winter, and I do, it’s hard to beat these type of summer nights when the light lingers in the sky late and the smoke from backyard fires lingers in the air. This is as much of the reason that I love living in NNE as fall and winter. Now, I f I could get rid of mud season, life would be nearly perfect. 

We have had a beautiful  summer so far. Only a couple humid hot days .. Hoping  it stays that way.. looks like it might. I use to love spending summer nights in Baldwin mills quebec right on the lake.. very cool nights warm to cool days .

Glancing over all these numbers ...

Temperatures did not really average appreciably negative for the Meteorological spring ( March-April-May). There did occur a bit more of a neggie signal in March, but that appeared to differentiate for April and May, with an interesting altitude dependency ... Worcester, for example, averaged negative for all three months combined ...whereas the Hartford and Providence rolled-up more 'noisy' decimal negative for the time period, due to April and May actually being modestly positive. So a split.. It's hard to know why that took place. 

By and large... where 90-some-odd percent of civility resides ( and note...I do not include the ole boy traditional a-hole stalwart impediment to progress Logan Airport "climate" site ), spring temperatures were not significantly cold.  Unless you live atop a pine canopy at 1,200 feet.

Seems a fair assessment was a modestly negative spring considering all.

I suspect the impression of this spring as being so horrible may have more to do with lack of sunny days?  Recall... despite Memorial Day weekend, last weekend, ...and now this weekends utopia days these are more at fortunately timed. For the beleaguered denizens, the historic number of cloud/measurable rainfall days that was also registered empirically along the way, feeling so deprived may be understandable.  I just wonder if a sunnier spring had taken place at the same general temperature, would folks be grousing about 'days getting shorter in just two weeks.'  

Others in this supposed "weather" -related support group social media even go so far as all but admittedly wish the summer away by making that statement, others commiserate the notion..  But, it's a slow slow process...  Unless OCD and/or some form of S.A.D. so acute is involved... most won't even notice the loss of daylight until circa August 20th at our latitude(s)... After which it starts to accelerate, granted, but that's still some two months and ten days away... Numerically, 1/6th of a year.  See? You can put a spin on matters the other way, just the same...  No one ever efforts to do that though - intriguing. 

Plus, it'll probably end up the the hottest July-September in history or something ... This is what I want for those that wish summer away... I was musing the other day about the faux poetica of weather; it's a good thing there really isn't any, because if it never snowed or even got cold again, we'd know who to blame.   Ha!

17 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

This is beautiful

Who wants 90s?

You'd be surprised... ( maybe, maybe not)

Most people that I know, in my own Bacon-sphere ... about half of those like 90s with low dew point -  Arizonian outback stuff.

Which may not be what you had in mind when you mentioned "who wants 90s?"    If you are thinking 90s/70s ... even 90s/60s, then the average preference does slope off when DP enters the consideration.  But even so, there are still those that like torridity in there, too.

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Glancing over all these numbers ...

Temperatures did not really average appreciably negative for the Meteorological spring ( March-April-May). There did occur a bit more of a neggie signal in March, but that appeared to differentiate for April and May, with an interesting altitude dependency ... Worcester, for example, averaged negative for all three months combined ...whereas the Hartford and Providence rolled-up more 'noisy' decimal negative for the time period, due to April and May actually being modestly positive. So a split.. It's hard to know why that took place. 

By and large... where 90-some-odd percent of civility resides ( and note...I do not include the ole boy traditional a-hole stalwart impediment to progress Logan Airport "climate" site ), spring temperatures were not significantly cold.  Unless you live atop a pine canopy at 1,200 feet.

Seems a fair assessment was a modestly negative spring considering all.

I suspect the impression of this spring as being so horrible may have more to do with lack of sunny days?  Recall... despite Memorial Day weekend, last weekend, ...and now this weekends utopia days these are more at fortunately timed. For the beleaguered denizens, the historic number of cloud/measurable rainfall days that was also registered empirically along the way, feeling so deprived may be understandable.  I just wonder if a sunnier spring had taken place at the same general temperature, would folks be grousing about 'days getting shorter in just two weeks.'  

I wouldn't read into that too much... in December when folks say the days get longer in two weeks, it's not some subliminal message for "lets end this winter and get on with spring". 

Regarding the spring temperatures... there was a pretty good gradient across New England, cooler departures north and more normal temperatures the furthest south in New England.

It's weird that ORH at elevation was so much cooler relative to normal than say BDL, but maybe it's a latitude thing. 

Up north here, we put up -2.8F for May with over 8" of rainfall...so the "cold and wet" mantra certainly seems spot on when averaging .25-0.3" of rain per day at steady negative departures.  For MET Spring we did -3.5/-0.4/-2.8 for the monthlies, averaging -2.2 for the spring.  Solidly below average.

Looks like by and large, it's a pretty good split from NNE to SNE in terms of spring departures....with SNE the buffer zone between the absolute bake-off happening in the mid-Atlantic and the chill that never left NNE into Quebec.

90dTDeptNRCC.png.aa87995477c5c7de47490436fe35216c.png

Even June has started cold up this way...as we are currently almost -4F through the first 8 days of the month up this way.  Makes sense I guess when 4 days of June never got out of the 60s and one of those days was a 59/41, which is some decent neggies for June.

Heck, St Johnsbury's 1V4 ASOS there in NE VT is -5.2 so far for June.

MonthTDeptNRCC.png.df8474fe4b67dad37f58a0ceed564275.png

17 minutes ago, Cyclone-68 said:

Hi everyone. Since today is the anniversary of the Worcester tornado of ‘53, any guesses how the day would have been outlooked for the NE  if Norman OK had been up and running in those days? ex. Slight, moderate, high risk ?

As an outsider, I'm going to guess Enhanced or Moderate.  I don't believe it would have been a High Risk... those are just so ridiculously rare in the northeastern part of the country.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I wouldn't read into that too much... in December when folks say the days get longer in two weeks, it's not some subliminal message for "lets end this winter and get on with spring". 

Regarding the spring temperatures... there was a pretty good gradient across New England, cooler departures north and more normal temperatures the furthest south in New England.

It's weird that ORH at elevation was so much cooler relative to normal than say BDL, but maybe it's a latitude thing. 

Up north here, we put up -2.8F for May with over 8" of rainfall...so the "cold and wet" mantra certainly seems spot on when averaging .25-0.3" of rain per day at steady negative departures.  For MET Spring we did -3.5/-0.4/-2.8 for the monthlies, averaging -2.2 for the spring.  Solidly below average.

Looks like by and large, it's a pretty good split from NNE to SNE in terms of spring departures....with SNE the buffer zone between the absolute bake-off happening in the mid-Atlantic and the chill that never left NNE into Quebec.

I don't know why or how you comprehended what I wrote the way you ( seemed ) to, but I wasn't "reading into" anything.

I was asking a question as to whether the lack of sun made folks feel ripped off - period. 

But also gave reasons why they "might" be predisposed to feeling that way, too, as a supposition.  

Sounds like the your reading into what I wrote as someone reading into something ...hahaha... 

Jesus christ around here - wow