• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June 2019 Discussion

weatherwiz

36.0° F low here off a high of 54.5° F yesterday. The wind and cool weather kept the black flies totally at bay yesterday afternoon. I wouldn't complain at all if the rest of the summer was like this. 

33° F up in Woodford so they likely had a light frost. They seem to radiate a little better than I do, but I CAD better.

Over 9" of rain since May 1st. 

I see on the news there was a major landslide in Stowe.  Estimated at 20 acres wide (that's huge).

STOWE, Vt. (WCAX) An active landslide has damaged a popular trail in the Mount Mansfield State Forest in Stowe.

Officials have blocked off the Cottonbrook Road trailhead off the Nebraska Valley Road, and those familiar with the area say the damage is devastating.

"The road was somewhere right here," said Steve Torrey with Snowmobile Vermont. "Trees falling, rocks tumbling, mud moving."

Torrey saw the damage when he rode his ATV up Cottonbrook Road early Sunday morning. "Acres upon acres of the forest completely disappeared. It had just slid off the side of the mountain and the river was washing it away. There was cracks in the soil leading up to the edge of the slide where you could tell that there had been structural damage to the mountain side" he said.

A group of mountain bikers alerted Torrey to the slide Saturday afternoon. When he saw it Sunday morning, he estimated it was about 20 acres wide, and actively taking out Fosters Trail and portions of Cottonbrook Road. Since then, he guesses it's grown exponentially. "There's a good chance it doubled in size overnight" he said.

This is really interesting ... tho, excruciatingly tedious.  It's a nerd's paradise to follow, but the NAM's synoptic handling of the best perceived warm frontal axis it has slated to set up roughly from just N of Albany NY ...across southern VT/NH to perhaps Portsmouth, tomorrow, is unusually stable across multiple model cycles.   I mean ..yeah, blah blah it is the NAM but the Euro's been persistently allowing the warm fropa clear to PSM too. More typically ... a dangling boundary in that particular position ends up down somewhere in the vicinity of NYC.

First, I think the local media coverage ( which I happened to spy while running 'mill at the gym last nigh) are too cold on the cool side of that boundary.  This particular air mass we are enjoying now ... it is not/was not delivered by way of over-top mass ...like the previous high pressure regions this season. I think that preponderance has them a bit prone to being too cool.. This particular air mass, albeit presently cool, is an under delivery... That means that as the high shifts east, the winds continue to back ...all the way around the dial and what was once a NNW flow becomes NW...W to SW, as opposed to NW then ENE vomit.  In other words, we don't have to suffer our geographic unique propensity to lay down GOM slabs and have them stagnate because of an ENE flow out of a retreating high/stymie warm frontal arrivals.   This is a sort of rare scenario for us...where the warm front does not encounter that typical front-side resistance ... as much.  The DP may be more indicative of where the boundary is ...when it is where it is... heh. 

Anyway, or... if there is a lead side cloud band and showers... forget the above paragraph.  :) ... In that case, there is a bigger bust potential along the front.  HFD with laze faire flag wobbles from the SW would be 86/67 while ASH may be 59/58 ...  

Either way, any time we have that kind of temperature differential and boundary/SRH in the region .. we gotta wonder about thunder -

Low was near 40, maybe just below, as the winds stayed active much of the night, as GYX had forecast.  Bunch of mid-deck clouds about done passing over Augusta after the earlier cloudless skies. 

"Twenty acres wide"??  Conflates an area measure with a linear one.  I'm guessing it's about twenty acres, and quite wide.  :P

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Haven’t seen anyone upset since the rainy stretch Mid May. Since it’s warmed up and dried out in this new pattern, it’s been fun and frolic in here 

Yeah, it was the rainy stretch with high dews that affected some folks. Most of us have been even keel and well-adjusted.

what the hell are you dudes talking about ...  moods this and well-adjusted that... What is that -

Then, if someone lucid offers and educated opine re the psycho-babble "support group" nature of the 'between the lines' antics in here, they get admonished?  

I'm just starting to wonder if this isn't a concentrated consortium of weirdos that happen to be in an era where they can find each other using the web. 

In any case...  That is a humid and warm 24 hours in coming tomorrow, with thunder probable ... when obviously to be determined. So, for those that enjoy summery fair... enjoy.   We'll see what the pattern does after but it looks ( to me ) like several days of seasonal to perhaps a tick or two above normal ( in other words ...not very well noticeably so) with decent days...  

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Over 9" of rain since May 1st. 

I see on the news there was a major landslide in Stowe.  Estimated at 20 acres wide (that's huge).

STOWE, Vt. (WCAX) An active landslide has damaged a popular trail in the Mount Mansfield State Forest in Stowe.

Officials have blocked off the Cottonbrook Road trailhead off the Nebraska Valley Road, and those familiar with the area say the damage is devastating.

"The road was somewhere right here," said Steve Torrey with Snowmobile Vermont. "Trees falling, rocks tumbling, mud moving."

Torrey saw the damage when he rode his ATV up Cottonbrook Road early Sunday morning. "Acres upon acres of the forest completely disappeared. It had just slid off the side of the mountain and the river was washing it away. There was cracks in the soil leading up to the edge of the slide where you could tell that there had been structural damage to the mountain side" he said.

A group of mountain bikers alerted Torrey to the slide Saturday afternoon. When he saw it Sunday morning, he estimated it was about 20 acres wide, and actively taking out Fosters Trail and portions of Cottonbrook Road. Since then, he guesses it's grown exponentially. "There's a good chance it doubled in size overnight" he said.

DIT-approved

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I'm just starting to wonder if this isn't a concentrated consortium of weirdos that happen to be in an era where they can find each other using the web. 

is this your first time using the internet? i mean, that describes pretty much every forum that exists

• Haha 2