• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May 23/24 SNE/NNE Thunder Thread

Torch Tiger

Looks like crap for sne, but even without much instability the line is producing. we'll see what happens.

DISCUSSION...A line of convection stretching from southern Ontario
   into central OH has shown some signs of intensification early this
   morning. Several reports of 35-45 kt gusts have been noted across
   central OH with one severe gust of 55 kt at Cleveland. While the
   line is likely somewhat elevated, current track indicates the line
   is shifting east/northeast at around 60 kt. Inhibition downstream
   into northwest PA and far western NY per 12z mesoanalysis is weak
   and will continue to weaken has the boundary layer warms this
   morning. Strong vertical shear and an MCV evident in surface
   observations and radar should be adequate to maintain some organized
   threat for strong to locally damaging gusts through the morning
   hours despite weak instability. As such, a watch may be needed if
   trends continue.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

Looks like crap for sne, but even without much instability the line is producing. we'll see what happens.

DISCUSSION...A line of convection stretching from southern Ontario
   into central OH has shown some signs of intensification early this
   morning. Several reports of 35-45 kt gusts have been noted across
   central OH with one severe gust of 55 kt at Cleveland. While the
   line is likely somewhat elevated, current track indicates the line
   is shifting east/northeast at around 60 kt. Inhibition downstream
   into northwest PA and far western NY per 12z mesoanalysis is weak
   and will continue to weaken has the boundary layer warms this
   morning. Strong vertical shear and an MCV evident in surface
   observations and radar should be adequate to maintain some organized
   threat for strong to locally damaging gusts through the morning
   hours despite weak instability. As such, a watch may be needed if
   trends continue.

I mean there is barely a marginal risk into SNE, so I wouldn't be getting my hopes up for anything more than isolated severe. Models support that at least as a low chance risk.

22 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Several hodos over NY/PA suggest right moving supercells possible today...could be locally significant b/c that would vastly increase t'storm shear (there is a term for this I think) locally. 

The nice part about the wind field today is that a right mover is going to do just fine with SW winds at the surface. That's why NW flow is great, it's still a 90 degree angle to veered surface winds.

9 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I mean there is barely a marginal risk into SNE, so I wouldn't be getting my hopes up for anything more than isolated severe. Models support that at least as a low chance risk.

Yeah, I never had my hopes up for ENE. Lol That was just in reference to SW or WNE. "SNE" was a bit vague.

5 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

The nice part about the wind field today is that a right mover is going to do just fine with SW winds at the surface. That's why NW flow is great, it's still a 90 degree angle to veered surface winds.

I'm sure there could be some valley enhancement too going on. HREF really likes NE PA and it's kinda hard to go against that. 

I am a little surprised though that the marginal risk for extreme western SNE is due to wind probs as opposed to hail. I can see some window of opportunity for gusts (likely outflow driven) but I would think our isolated severe is more for hail...MUCAPES may still spike near 1000 over western sections. 

10 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I'm sure there could be some valley enhancement too going on. HREF really likes NE PA and it's kinda hard to go against that. 

I am a little surprised though that the marginal risk for extreme western SNE is due to wind probs as opposed to hail. I can see some window of opportunity for gusts (likely outflow driven) but I would think our isolated severe is more for hail...MUCAPES may still spike near 1000 over western sections. 

My biggest concern for PA is storm coverage. That's a little more uncertain on CAMs. But quite a few valleys there are SW to NE oriented so that channeled flow is actually pretty favorable in this environment. 

There is good hail CAPE still available in parts of SNE, but I would like to see it a little lower in the sounding and not as close to the storm top as it is.

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

My biggest concern for PA is storm coverage. That's a little more uncertain on CAMs. But quite a few valleys there are SW to NE oriented so that channeled flow is actually pretty favorable in this environment. 

There is good hail CAPE still available in parts of SNE, but I would like to see it a little lower in the sounding and not as close to the storm top as it is.

Yeah storm coverage is something I've been thinking too. Smaller storm coverage may locally further enhance potential for storms to produce. If storm coverage is greater though we could see more of a widespread damaging wind threat. Maybe organized activity will form and they can survive off a cold pool into SNE lol