Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mid to Late May 2019 Severe Threats

Quincy

Just now, Calderon said:

Jefferson City tornado also destroyed the Riley dealerships, a Toyota and GMC/Chevy/Buick are adjacent to each other. Numerous vehicles thrown considerable distances from the lots.

It is possible vehicles were seen in the CC drop with debris likely thrown 25,000 feet high, cars could be lofted that high with that violent tornado.  I saw an image on twitter and it was a monster.  Joplin is in the crosshairs.

I haven't looked super closely at later today, but just glancing at data in more depth now - there will probably be several more tornadoes and a swath of heavy rain across KS/OK again. Thankfully it's a bit farther west than the areas hit hardest on Wednesday/Wednesday night, but still... Wind profiles are impressive for so far south this late in the season, but SW/SSW upper level flow suggests there may be some veer-back signatures aloft. Convective mode should be mixed and most guidance initiates convection relatively early, later this morning. As convective advects north and east, you'll probably see renewed development by early to mid-afternoon across the panhandles and western Oklahoma.

• Like 1

I humbly present a video frame as a tornado neared Golden City (I am competent with stills, but not at pulling them from video). This was from about six miles away. Anyone care to guess the size based on that?

The cats have gone to hide under the bed as another storm moves into Joplin. I think I'll join them. Wish us luck.

--

Steve Holmes

4B4A4403_Moment 2.jpg

• Like 4

I can’t figure this cell out west of Oklahoma City.

Looked like it was going to get eaten up by shear like the rest of the storms I chased today, then it looked like it was starting to weaken, then a cell merger and now it re-intensifies with wings starting to show.

8 minutes ago, Calderon said:

Jefferson City tornado also destroyed the Riley dealerships, a Toyota and GMC/Chevy/Buick are adjacent to each other. Numerous vehicles thrown considerable distances from the lots.

I've seen unconfirmed damage reports all the way to the Missouri River, which would be about a 3 miles stretch from Riley Toyota.

7 minutes ago, sigerson said:

I humbly present a video frame as a tornado neared Golden City (I am competent with stills, but not at pulling them from video). This was from about six miles away. Anyone care to guess the size based on that?

The cats have gone to hide under the bed as another storm moves into Joplin. I think I'll join them. Wish us luck.

--

Steve Holmes

4B4A4403_Moment 2.jpg

Hard to tell, but that is at least a massive wall cloud. 

Just now, fourseasons said:

I guess the Weather Channel doesn't give a crap about midwest tornado warnings after 2 a.m. eastern, because, reruns.

Yeah, no kidding.  They had just got confirmation of major damage and trapped people in Jeff City, several tor warns still ongoing, and once they hit midnight central it was basically a quick T&P's and See Ya.

18 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

It is possible vehicles were seen in the CC drop with debris likely thrown 25,000 feet high, cars could be lofted that high with that violent tornado.  I saw an image on twitter and it was a monster.  Joplin is in the crosshairs.

Eh, it would take unbelievable upward vertical motion and bending of physics to loft a 2-4k lb vehicle that high into the atmosphere. 

And no, Joplin is not. They're just fine with just some thunderstorms.

Just now, SnowGoose69 said:

Would be surprised if the cell on I40 in Oklahoma isn’t tornadic soon 

You would think...

Merged with the sister cell, re-intensified and now has an evident inflow notch.

1 minute ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Would be surprised if the cell on I40 in Oklahoma isn’t tornadic soon 

It may be a bit elevated, but still that's pretty impressive that it's been more or less maintaining intensity for so long.

2 minutes ago, Quincy said:

It may be a bit elevated, but still that's pretty impressive that it's been more or less maintaining intensity for so long.

The fact that this cell is still alive, after several tried and failed to do the same during the daylight hours, is stunning. If this somehow goes on to produce tornadoes too...

Core aloft with the storm approaching Binger has been coming down a bit over the last ten minutes. The Fort Cobb mesonet, about 8 miles south of the storm, has north winds. I don't believe the storm is entirely surface-based. It is after 1 AM here after all. Of course, I thought the same thing early Tuesday morning and ended up with a tornado four miles to my northeast, so we'll see. 

EDIT: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand OUN just added the 'TOR Possible' tag back again. See? I'm on a roll this week. :poster_stupid:

3 minutes ago, David Reimer said:

Core aloft with the storm approaching Binger has been coming down a bit over the last ten minutes. The Fort Cobb mesonet, about 8 miles south of the storm, has north winds. I don't believe the storm is entirely surface-based. It is after 1 AM here after all. Of course, I thought the same thing early Tuesday morning and ended up with a tornado four miles to my northeast, so we'll see. 

EDIT: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand OUN just added the 'TOR Possible' tag back again. See? I'm on a roll this week. :poster_stupid:

Trying to figure out southern, southwest and central Oklahoma this year has been a mess