• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA Spring/Summer 2019

16 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I look at the forecast for Thursday through Sunday and smile broadly...that is all. 

Looks like any heat is gone for the season. We'll of course have warm spells but warm in late September isn't warm in July or August, and I'll gladly take a few 80 degree days here and there. 

46 minutes ago, canderson said:

Looks like any heat is gone for the season. We'll of course have warm spells but warm in late September isn't warm in July or August, and I'll gladly take a few 80 degree days here and there. 

Just looked last evening after being in the mountains and enjoying some refreshing weather, and yeah, I have to agree that it looks like the worst is past, and we start into an early fall regime.  Looking forward to it.  Wearing a sweatshirt around a campfire felt wonderful.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Just looked last evening after being in the mountains and enjoying some refreshing weather, and yeah, I have to agree that it looks like the worst is past, and we start into an early fall regime.  Looking forward to it.  Wearing a sweatshirt around a campfire felt wonderful.

Tomorrow looks pretty miserable but yea we're almost home free.

We'll be in Rehoboth Beach the rest of the week playing with Dorian and Dogfish Head beer. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MAG5035 said:

Sandy was definitely the windiest system here of any recent central PA major tropical system incursions, which back this way would involve Fran (96), Isabel (03), Frances (04), and Ivan (04). The flooding issues of the latter two are certainly well documented but they didn't have too much wind. Sandy of course was an extremely anomalous event all around. It was several hours of near constant wind, which we ended up losing a tree or two out of it. But just a couple miles away there was an area that pretty much a whole section of woods got laid out from the high winds. I probably still have the velocity image somewhere on my laptop of the 80-90kt velocities over the whole area. 

Edit, I found it:

sandy_CCX.thumb.png.ceb68696e436914e3e803488f20d7776.png

Sandy was the windiest event I witnessed.  I remember several gusts into the 60's and a peak of 71mph which still stands as my highest ever recorded.

26 minutes ago, canderson said:

Tomorrow looks pretty miserable but yea we're almost home free.

We'll be in Rehoboth Beach the rest of the week playing with Dorian and Dogfish Head beer. 

enjoy the less crowed beaches.  Drink one for me....preferably not IPA though....:P

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

Sandy was the windiest event I witnessed.  I remember several gusts into the 60's and a peak of 71mph which still stands as my highest ever recorded.

Same for me...though I think solely based from memory that I had stronger sustained winds from Isabel.

Actually, from records at LNS Lancaster had sustained winds of 36mph with gusts to 51mph from Sandy. Isabel saw sustained winds of 38mph with peak gust to 52mph. Very similar events locally. (both events had gusts in the 60-70mph range in other areas of the county) 

On 9/2/2019 at 4:45 PM, Voyager said:

Thanks MAG! 

Next interest is the 21-23 timeframe when the wife and I do her birthday vacation in Cape May. The Atlantic basin has become quite active, so I'll be watching the tropics for the next few weeks.

OCMD now in a tropical storm watch that was issued earlier on, as I'm sure your aware. You might get to see some action after all. 

28 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

OCMD now in a tropical storm watch that was issued earlier on, as I'm sure your aware. You might get to see some action after all. 

Yup. Just saw that. We roll out of here at 11am Friday, but I'm sure I'll see some effects. I almost with we were staying until Saturday now...lol

It funny though. I can't even do a coastal location with a approaching tropical system right. It was supposed to get going (for what it was going to do) by this evening. What happens? He slows down and now tropical conditions might be here almost 24 hours later than originally thought...AFTER we leave for home.

• Haha 1

On 9/2/2019 at 12:18 PM, canderson said:

Honestly most tropical storm systems are overrated. You get waves of varying intensity but not enough to be exciting, just annoying. 

Irene here was an exception but that was a different type of system really.m

Surge can be a problem but I know little about it and water scares me so that’s always a concern if you’re immediately on the water.

It is the 1 or 2 week power outages which cause the most non land falling harm in my opinion.   I know people of yesteryear used to wear clothes from head to toe, in Florida, and somehow deal with it but after being used to AC and running water having neither for 1-2 weeks is worth wish casting "Canes away!

On 8/30/2019 at 9:08 PM, Voyager said:

Looks like I'm going to be doing a 4 day, 3 night charter to OCMD this week from Tuesday to Friday. Wonder what it's going to be like down there late week. Latest GFS seems to bring him pretty close. 

Just saw you have a TS Warning...looks like it is not going to be too bad but hopefully you are leaving early and miss most of the heavy rain.   Main shield just heading in right now. 

12 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

Just saw you have a TS Warning...looks like it is not going to be too bad but hopefully you are leaving early and miss most of the heavy rain.   Main shield just heading in right now. 

We rolled out at 11am. Rain wasn't too bad yet at that time.