• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA Spring/Summer 2019

21 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

So I have a part time job with the Barnstormers. Last night around 6:30 the sky was green. I mean...it was really green. I've heard people describe seeing that before but until last night I'm not sure I ever did. I was commenting about this to fans who were adjacent to me. One guy kind of laughed and then when he looked he got this look of horror on his face, turned to his wife and said "holy f*ck, it is green!" Then he looks back at me and says...what does that mean? I say, I'm not sure exactly but it ain't a good thing. 

I didn't find out until after the fact that Lancaster city was under a Tornado Warning at the time...

I've seen the green wall before.  My guess is major uplift causing wall of water to form.  Thats what I've always thought it to be anyway.

wind was rather "swirly" last evening.  Reminded me of snow squalls. 

MMMMMM.....SNOWsqualls... 

1 hour ago, pasnownut said:

I've seen the green wall before.  My guess is major uplift causing wall of water to form.  Thats what I've always thought it to be anyway.

wind was rather "swirly" last evening.  Reminded me of snow squalls. 

MMMMMM.....SNOWsqualls... 

I had read CTP's afternoon disco where they all but completely dismissed a severe weather threat yesterday, so as an acting weather weenie I was trying to prepare fans last night for lightning and heavy rain. I went beyond my duties and started asking people to leave the seating bowl due to all the cloud to ground strikes going on, people seemed oblivious to it. Anyway, the sky got really ominous to the southwest...probably one of the scariest skies I've seen. I wasn't prepared for that based on the information I was getting from weather outlets. 

My wife was driving home and she stopped at various spots and took like 50 pictures. I posted the one because I've never seen anything like it. She did say that what I posted lasted seconds before it dissipated. 

4 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

My wife took this picture about a half mile from our home last evening. I've never seen anything like it...any ideas? I was at the ballpark in Lancaster working when the storm hit. 

12101 (002).jpeg

Mike I'm pretty sure that is scud clouds.  They can sometimes look like tornadoes but are not. Still neat to see.

59 minutes ago, daxx said:

Mike I'm pretty sure that is scud clouds.  They can sometimes look like tornadoes but are not. Still neat to see.

Thanks Brian! I don't think my wife really appreciated what she was seeing anyway. :) I texted her last evening and asked if we got a lot of rain or wind, her response was "it rained a little I guess." I got home and discovered we got over 1.5" in less than an hour. She definitely will never get a job in any type of media...my wife is probably the biggest under-exaggerator I know. (She was in Boone, NC last December when 22" of snow fell in 15 hours. She called me and said she was disappointed that it wasn't that much.) 

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Thanks Brian! I don't think my wife really appreciated what she was seeing anyway. :) I texted her last evening and asked if we got a lot of rain or wind, her response was "it rained a little I guess." I got home and discovered we got over 1.5" in less than an hour. She definitely will never get a job in any type of media...my wife is probably the biggest under-exaggerator I know. (She was in Boone, NC last December when 22" of snow fell in 15 hours. She called me and said she was disappointed that it wasn't that much.) 

Ha ha.  You need to take her to the Tug Hill.  I'm sure you would get an oh wow response.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, daxx said:

Never heard of scud cloud.  I've learned something today.  thx

To me it looks like tight rotation that captures clouds/debris/water droplets....but yes over land.  Was just an uneducated guess coupled with a hint of logical deductions. :P

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Never heard of scud cloud.  I've learned something today.  thx

To me it looks like tight rotation that captures clouds/debris/water droplets....but yes over land.  Was just an uneducated guess coupled with a hint of logical deductions. :P

I heard of them but wouldn't have been able to identify one until Brian came along.