• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA Spring/Summer 2019

I can’t imagine driving a U-Haul and what I just went through. I had to drive to Shermans Dale, on 114 over the mountain. The outflow hip when I was on 114 and it hit it with a fury. I was going about 45-50 when up ahead I see a big tree moving awaked. Split second later I see it’s going to fall, fall toward the road, and timing looks about perfect to nail me. I just go bought a used Infiniti G35 a couple weeks ago and thank god I did because I floored the sucker and cleared the tree as it fell by less than second. I hit a twig basically. Then tried not to hydroplane slowing down because I was going 90+ in torrential rain. If I could have stopped before I got to where the tree fell I would have, but the darn thing basically wanted to be play chicken and I would have been in bad bad shape if I tried to stop. So now I’m going to get a 6-pack of 9% beer, sit on my porch, enjoy The rain cold air air and the fact that I am still breathing.

. Pro

On 6/28/2019 at 12:28 PM, daxx said:

I may hit 90 for the first time this year. Unless a storm pops up before that.  One good thing it's only 86 days,15 hours and 25 minutes and counting until the first day of fall.

I was out back earlier this afternoon before the thunderstorm rolled through Marysville. 

I was enjoying reading a chapter of my KU Northeast Winter Storm book. I was dreaming about an approaching snowstorm, but then the family & I needed to head inside to dodge the thunderstorm.

Here, It turned out to just be a little thunder & some heavy rain, along with a little wind for about 20 minutes.

Also, it is only 2 months & 2 days until Met. Fall begins on September 1st !

I am hoping to fire up the grill later on this afternoon. Do you guys think that there will be any more storms later today ?

Left the house this AM with a 30% chance of scattered thunderstorms and was in Hanover around 3:30PM and the cops are closing 194 into town because of hail damage and a reported funnel cloud as a derecho is bulldogging the whole LSV.  Our forecast products have been worse than bad lately.  They are misleadingly bad.   Temp dropped from 92 to 68 in 45 min. Impressive. 

2 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

Left the house this AM with a 30% chance of scattered thunderstorms and was in Hanover around 3:30PM and the cops are closing 194 into town because of hail damage and a reported funnel cloud as a derecho is bulldogging the whole LSV.  Our forecast products have been worse than bad lately.  They are misleadingly bad.   Temp dropped from 92 to 68 in 45 min. Impressive. 

How bad was the hail in Hanover?

37 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I did not see any of it as I was south of town at that yesteryear Antique place.  I just know they had 194 North closed and the cop said they were doing it out of precaution because the hail was so bad over near the mall.  

Thanks, did anyone else get hit with bad hail in CTP today ?

I thought heard that State College had some hail.

@NWSStateCollege
Replying to @JohnBanghoff
Had a gust 43MPH at the office and then 10 mins later small (pea sz hail).
 29 Jun 2019

Myself I had over inch of rain with the first storm. Along with some pretty strong winds

Tomorrow morning  I will check my gauge for a total.

The issue with temperature busts isn't new, and it happens year-round on both high and low forecasts. One thing I noticed specifically for today was it was 76 with full sun at 7:45am. Even with NW flow you had to think it was going to get pretty toasty with pretty much full sun on the last day of June.

Why it happens so much is probably a complicated answer.

4 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

Glad I am not the only one pointing it out.  We can blame the NWS but all they do is use models for guidance so that is where the blame lies IMO.  

Right, not bashing CTP by any measure. Models - all - have really struggled this year. 

Saturday i drove through that storm coming from a SB tourney in Kutztown on I78, interesting to say the least. Like Mike said about yesterday, early on i knew we would pass their prog. high temp. Though there was a breeze, i baked. I think Saturday was our 3rd 90 degree day and it looks like after today we string a couple 90s together into the weekend. 

8 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

The issue with temperature busts isn't new, and it happens year-round on both high and low forecasts. One thing I noticed specifically for today was it was 76 with full sun at 7:45am. Even with NW flow you had to think it was going to get pretty toasty with pretty much full sun on the last day of June.

Why it happens so much is probably a complicated answer.

I think the larger issue is real feel per se.  Yesterday was supposed to be a pleasant summer day with moderate temps in the low 80's (actually the day before they had us pegged in the upper 70's)  and a nice wind to really keep things cool.  The winds never really materialized at the rate advertised and it went into or almost in the 90's everywhere making it feel like a fairly brutal day so the degrees of bust was not as important as losing out on a nice day before the coming heat wave.

48 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I think the larger issue is real feel per se.  Yesterday was supposed to be a pleasant summer day with moderate temps in the low 80's (actually the day before they had us pegged in the upper 70's)  and a nice wind to really keep things cool.  The winds never really materialized at the rate advertised and it went into or almost in the 90's everywhere making it feel like a fairly brutal day so the degrees of bust was not as important as losing out on a nice day before the coming heat wave.

It was windy here...I work part time for Lancaster's minor league baseball team. :) Yesterday, we had vendors with tables set up with information on their business products and they were getting frustrated because all of their literature was flying around the ballpark. I heard many fans telling each other and or me how refreshing it was to be out yesterday. I myself thought it was beautiful...and I despise hot weather. 

Official high for Lancaster was 86. With the wind and lower dews it felt pretty good over this way. 

10 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

It was windy here...I work part time for Lancaster's minor league baseball team. :) Yesterday, we had vendors with tables set up with information on their business products and they were getting frustrated because all of their literature was flying around the ballpark. I heard many fans telling each other and or me how refreshing it was to be out yesterday. I myself thought it was beautiful!

Official high for Lancaster was 86. With the wind and lower dews it felt pretty good over this way. 

A mid 80's day with a breeze and low humidity makes for a perfect summer day!

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

It was windy here...I work part time for Lancaster's minor league baseball team. :) Yesterday, we had vendors with tables set up with information on their business products and they were getting frustrated because all of their literature was flying around the ballpark. I heard many fans telling each other and or me how refreshing it was to be out yesterday. I myself thought it was beautiful...and I despise hot weather. 

Saturday at the softball Tourney, when the wind blew, it felt like someone was holding a hair dryer on you. Yesterday, though there was a breeze if anyone was doing physical labor, the breeze didn't help. I'm not bothered by the heat, but the guys i was working with were taking a beating.

1 hour ago, Voyager said:

A mid 80's day with a breeze and low humidity makes for a perfect summer day!