Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mid-Atlantic summer hottest temperature contest

PrinceFrederickWx

On 5/7/2019 at 9:19 AM, PrinceFrederickWx said:

Forecast the hottest temperature that will be recorded at the four airports (BWI, DCA, IAD, RIC) at any time between the start of met summer (June 1) and the end of astronomical summer (September 23). For the tiebreaker, choose only one of the following three locations: Charlottesville (CHO), Salisbury (SBY), or Hagerstown (HGR).

As of right now, this will be a one-time contest, but if it goes over well I may make this an annual summer event. Thanks to @Roger Smith for the idea! Winner will be the person with the lowest absolute value departure and will be announced on September 24 (or sometime around then). Good luck! :sun::sizzle:

I'll start this off with mine:

BWI: 102
DCA: 100
IAD: 99
RIC: 101

Tiebreaker HGR: 98

DCA:97

BWI:98

IAD:98

RIC:100

tiebreak SBY:98

Reasonably good turnout for a first time contest, I for one would not mind seeing an extension through the weekend with a final push for more entries. There's no real "tells" on tonight's GFS that's for sure. But then again, June 1936 was not a very hot month. Little known fact, there were actually some record lows a few days before the big east coast July 1936 heat wave. I think you'll find some for BWI daily max earlier in the month. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Roger Smith said:

Reasonably good turnout for a first time contest, I for one would not mind seeing an extension through the weekend with a final push for more entries. There's no real "tells" on tonight's GFS that's for sure. But then again, June 1936 was not a very hot month. Little known fact, there were actually some record lows a few days before the big east coast July 1936 heat wave. I think you'll find some for BWI daily max earlier in the month. 

We have 23 people playing which is about the best I'd hoped for given it's summer and many aren't around. Since there's no real game-changing temps on the horizon at the moment, I'm ok keeping it open this weekend if any stragglers show up ( @WxWatcher007  perhaps?)

It reminds me of 2012- blowtorch spring, early June cooled down, then all hell broke lose later in the month (BWI was 103 and DCA was 104 on the day of the derecho).

summer 19.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...