Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
NNE Warm Season Thread

powderfreak

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 1:34 PM, alex said:

I posted one a couple of days ago lol. It's definitely noticeable if you pay attention. About 10-20% of trees have the more muted and at times bronzish colors that prelude to foliage season

White birch at the head of the driveway is shedding a few brown leaves each day, like it always does starting mid August.

4 hours ago, tamarack said:

White birch at the head of the driveway is shedding a few brown leaves each day, like it always does starting mid August.

At the red light in Bristol NH today I happen to notice the hill and snapped this picture.  No color correction here but the first trees are showing some lightning of their deep summer green.  Guess they know that daylight and sun angle is decreasing.

mt.jpg

A sure sign of the time of year is when the Trail Crew starts their mowing operations... big lawns but historically the bulk of the vertical growth is done by now, wild flowers have bloomed, grass is high and it's time to start prepping the trails for winter. 

Mowing makes it possible for some to ski this stuff with 6" of October snow.

Absolute bluebird today.  Not a Cu in the sky.

68690510_10103847549930960_6171194927142

51 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

A sure sign of the time of year is when the Trail Crew starts their mowing operations... big lawns but historically the bulk of the vertical growth is done by now, wild flowers have bloomed, grass is high and it's time to start prepping the trails for winter. 

68690510_10103847549930960_6171194927142

There is no denying the seasons are changing, My red oak is shedding some leaves.

11 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Cloudless here as well.  This is the NNE summer of sunny days and (mostly) modest dews.  Those two facets are not unrelated.
Another benefit of mowing late is that ground-nesting birds have already fledged at least one clutch by now.

A comment in the main discussion thread had me pull up some of the first snowfall of the season data for Mansfield, but I’m putting it here for archival/discussion purposes as well.

In a few more weeks and we’ll definitely be watching for those first dustings in the peaks around here in NNE.  The earliest recorded accumulations on Mt. Mansfield are actually only a week from today (see inset in the graph below), and of course on Mt. Washington it can happen at almost any time.  I ran the early snowfall numbers for Mt. Mansfield a few years back and found that first snows occurred in September at an average rate of about twice a decade, and only about once a decade do we not have that first snow by October.  I recently assembled the actual numbers though, and I’ve plotted those below.  The occurrence of first snow by October is actually a bit higher than 90% though, so the absence of snow by October is closer to once every 15 years vs. once a decade.  First snows are potentially a bit more frequent than the numbers indicate too, since there are some seasons with chunks of autumn data missing, and with the ephemeral nature of early season snow and the variability in personnel making those observations, some occurrences of snow could have easily been missed.

21AUG19A.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Was checking out the COOP forms from the April 12-13, 1933 event up here. What a doozy.

Franklin 35"
Newport 31"
Wolfeboro 26"
Fitzwilliam 24"
Hanover 23"
Keene 21"
Plymouth 20"
Glencliff 20"

That was a RA to SN blue bomb too. Wish we had the charts.

Only 7" from that one at the Farmington co-op, but 4 years earlier they got 17" on those same dates, and the year before that 18.5" on 4/22-24.

8 hours ago, dendrite said:

Was checking out the COOP forms from the April 12-13, 1933 event up here. What a doozy.

Franklin 35"
Newport 31"
Wolfeboro 26"
Fitzwilliam 24"
Hanover 23"
Keene 21"
Plymouth 20"
Glencliff 20"

That was a RA to SN blue bomb too. Wish we had the charts.

Bennington VT COOP reported 2.06" of rain..ouch. 

Maybe they had some snow and it wasnt reported?? who knows with some of those old COOP reports/forms.

5 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Bennington VT COOP reported 2.06" of rain..ouch. 

Maybe they had some snow and it wasnt reported?? who knows with some of those old COOP reports/forms.

They reported snow during that winter so it very well may have been just rain. Saw a few 12-20" totals perusing around the forms and a 21.6" in S. Londonderry.

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

They reported snow during that winter so it very well may have been just rain. Saw a few 12-20" totals perusing around the forms and a 21.6" in S. Londonderry.

If it was E/NE flow firehose off the Atlantic, DDH could've been rain despite over 2" of QPF.  My guess is given that they would be downsloped (that doesn't mean a sharp QPF drop off necessarily, but temperatures will respond) and see a lot of "white rain"... big wet flakes that despite the rates still can't truly accumulate besides a wet slop.

16 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yea, noticed a few 15-20" reports on the eastern slopes in SVT--Readsboro, Londonderry--like you said.

Though think RUT had 7" I think when I looked earlier today.

14 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

If it was E/NE flow firehose off the Atlantic, DDH could've been rain despite over 2" of QPF.  My guess is given that they would be downsloped (that doesn't mean a sharp QPF drop off necessarily, but temperatures will respond) and see a lot of "white rain"... big wet flakes that despite the rates still can't truly accumulate besides a wet slop.

So goes life on the western slopes during many winter synoptic setups

10 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

So goes life on the western slopes during many winter synoptic setups

That's life in the mountains.  Unblocked or blocked flows mean a lot depending on the wind direction.  Unblocked east flow can crush the west slopes.  Blocked east flow will hit the eastern side.  Vertical wind & thermal profiles mean a lot. 

August Precipitation: 3.88”

2019 Precipitation: 41.46”

2019 Water Year Precipitation:  59.93”

August was just a touch below, but essentially average on precipitation.  With the comfortable temperatures, the month was really just how you’d write it up around here.  With 1 month to go, the water year precipitation is right around 60 inches, and it looks like we’ll add a bit onto that as we head into September.

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I've been watching the clearing back to the west in an attempt to get the dog out for her 3-mile loop. 

Looks like this last round should finally be it for rain.  Crazy it started last night at like 11pm and it's just finishing up here at 6pm the next day.

This burst looked to put down a quick quarter inch or so with some of the heavier rain rates of the event.  I see a lot of Underhill stations are now over 2" and so are the ones a little further up the road by the ski area.  Down here in town it looks like 1.3-1.4".  I'm assuming you are likely on the higher end there too as the westerly flow looked to be doing its business over the Spine the whole event.

LBNO32s.gif

The clearing is so close!

Looks like the sun is already out in the northern Champlain Valley for the 90 minutes or so of the daylight.

wD0tgXL.jpg

Good call, indeed it looks like we're a bit over 1.5" here for the event.  That's a good start to moisture on the month, and puts us over 60" for the 2019 water year.  The forecast suggests that we’ve got some great late summer/early autumn weather coming up.

12 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Cold, windy, some rain last night.  MVL had almost a half inch of rain but only 0.15” in Stowe.

Gondola is on a rare summer Wind Hold, 43F with wind chill near 32F.  

Feels like fall.

Highs only upper 50s to mid-60s today: 

69381937_2985586571513224_85000639518143

I was up at Bolton Valley this afternoon for some hiking and backcountry recon, and it was 55 F at 2,000’ in the Bolton Valley Village.  The brisk fall feel was in full effect, and it was great weather for hiking around.  Early fall color was very obvious in the hills above the Village.  The boys had home soccer games at Harwood yesterday, and the early color was even evident there in the hills above school.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, how are there not some sort of flood warnings out there?  I just drove from Burlington to Waterbury and it was like driving through a blizzard with the incredibly low visibility from extremely heavy rainfall.  Even the fastest windshield wiper speed was no match for gaining visibility.  There was ponding on the roads in many places, with several inches in a few low spots, and people had to drive really slowly.  I’m just not sure where all this water is going to go around here, because this heavy rainfall is certainly not all that localized.  The rainfall was nonstop heavy all the way from the Champlain Valley, into the mountains, and my wife said she had the same thing heading out to the Mad River Valley.