Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Warm Season Thread

powderfreak

9 hours ago, J.Spin said:

We’ve had a couple of days with what seemed like orographic clouds up here over the past two or three weeks, but certainly not many.  I actually like how those clouds come in, help keep the temperatures comfortable, and add variety to the weather.  It’s not as if they always mean rain, sometimes they just build, give you a half hour of cooler shade, then you get a break of blue for a while, and the cycle repeats.  In some cases you’ll get a passing shower as well, but it’s part of what keeps mountain weather interesting.

Yep, I agree. I actually would appreciate some clouds in the afternoon to keep the house cooler and moderate the solar heating as I don't have much afternoon shade at my house.

But with mostly low dews, even the sunny skies hasn't been oppressive.  Last 3 days were 75F, 77F, 80F---perfect. 

18 hours ago, alex said:

No bears at my place, but the coyotes were close enough last evening for me to hear the pitter-patter of little feet on the leaves.  With undergrowth in full leaf, visibility toward the sound was less than 30 feet and I'm guessing they were twice that far from the house.  Then they sang again this morning from about 100 yards distance.

But with mostly low dews, even the sunny skies hasn't been oppressive.  Last 3 days were 75F, 77F, 80F---perfect. 

Here it was 75, 77, 77 with lows 50, 44, 49.  Now 7 of 9 days this month sunny or mostly so - we'll pay in the coming weeks, but thanks for the CoC.

22 hours ago, powderfreak said:

We are only +0.7 for July so DIT’s  “furnace” seems a bit of hyperbole. 

Last 2 days are 74/48, 80/43 and today probably 82/46.  

Sunday was -7 departure, Monday -6, today likely -4 or so.  

5 above normal days, 4 below normal days...pretty standard fare up here.

30 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Yep, I agree. I actually would appreciate some clouds in the afternoon to keep the house cooler and moderate the solar heating as I don't have much afternoon shade at my house.

Agreed, it’s been really nice.  I was glad to catch PF’s post on some of the month’s numbers for our temperatures and see that they’re about average, so the great weather we’ve had is essentially what we “should” be seeing.  Aside from PF’s input, the “discussion” thread is sort of a mess to follow and get a sense for practical weather up here with DIT’s continuous torch trolling, his biased use of tweets and selected stations to fill some sort of agenda, and the fact that the temperatures being thrown out are the notably hotter SNE numbers to begin with.

23 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Agreed, it’s been really nice.  I was glad to catch PF’s post on some of the month’s numbers for our temperatures and see that they’re about average, so the great weather we’ve had is essentially what we “should” be seeing.  Aside from PF’s input, the “discussion” thread is sort of a mess to follow and get a sense for practical weather up here with DIT’s continuous torch trolling, his biased use of tweets and selected stations to fill some sort of agenda, and the fact that the temperatures being thrown out are the notably hotter SNE numbers to begin with.

Warm farther east - CAR is about +4 and GYX +5 so far.  I'm +1.3, but my records go back only to 1998, thus do not include the cooler 1980s that remain in the current 30-year norms.  I'd guess the Farmington co-op is running about +3.  However, except for last Fri-Sat, it's been the nicest AN July one could ask for.

3 hours ago, tamarack said:

Warm farther east - CAR is about +4 and GYX +5 so far.  I'm +1.3, but my records go back only to 1998, thus do not include the cooler 1980s that remain in the current 30-year norms.  I'd guess the Farmington co-op is running about +3.  However, except for last Fri-Sat, it's been the nicest AN July one could ask for.

Dendrite posted some departures that blew my mind... like +5 to +6 for MHT and PWM or something like that.  

How in the world is it so high above normal in that part of NNE?  Over this way it’s:

MPV... +0.9

MVL... +0.3

1V4... +0.2

So basically normal, but you can tell the MVL/1V4 ASOS spots that radiate a bit better are likely leading to that extra few tenths of a degree.  

Just crazy at how high above normal some other New England stations are.

Still a couple good strips of snow to be seen in Tuckerman Ravine from the Wildcat webcam. I had given some thought to skiing last weekend so I could check off July as 'skied in New England' but just went for a hike instead. Water temps in NH lake region - Winnisquam for me - is perfect. I stopped by the Tilton brewery today and bought some cans, pretty good.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

Is this just thatch? We've had plenty of rain and the lawn looks dry in spotsIMG_20190714_175952.jpgIMG_20190714_180326.jpg

Lava,  that doesn't look good.  I dethatch once a year, each spring but that doesn't look like much thatch in my opinion.   Have you fertilized at all?  I know it's not great for the environment but starting last year I hired a company that does lawn care.  He comes once a month and applies fertilizer.  They have a program so each month the application varies.  In the spring weed control mixed in, then grub control yada yada.  My lawn looks great but I bet if I didn't have him it would look like crap.  

Lava,  that doesn't look good.  I dethatch once a year, each spring but that doesn't look like much thatch in my opinion.   Have you fertilized at all?  I know it's not great for the environment but starting last year I hired a company that does lawn care.  He comes once a month and applies fertilizer.  They have a program so each month the application varies.  In the spring weed control mixed in, then grub control yada yada.  My lawn looks great but I bet if I didn't have him it would look like crap.  

I do fertilize; once every 6 wks or so. Last treatment was weed killer with fert. It seems to do this every summer around this time. Looks good in May and part of June, then starts to get the straw like look

Meant to put this in the lawn thread

29 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

I do fertilize; once every 6 wks or so. Last treatment was weed killer with fert. It seems to do this every summer around this time. Looks good in May and part of June, then starts to get the straw like look

Meant to put this in the lawn thread

Have you tried cutting out a 6"x6" square to expose the roots?  See if there's a difference between the roots of the healthy green grass and the dying grass.  Maybe a larvae  problem, maybe of rotting roots problem. 

13 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Is this just thatch? We've had plenty of rain and the lawn looks dry in spotsIMG_20190714_175952.jpgIMG_20190714_180326.jpg

How old is that portion of the lawn? I dont think its thatch,  but you would need to cut a chunk out a get a side view to see for a thatch build up.

Whats the grass type and how much sun does the area get? That would be important to know. Looks like a blend of grass types.

Just looking not knowing any of those details its looks like a good amount of fine fescue in that mix--its very thin bladed and normally included in alot of northern mix seed blends. Fine fescue does not like heat and sunny spots---- it's a shade grass. Even with a good amount of rain, it can still go brown in summer in full sun areas.

• Like 1

For Saturday in my neck of the woods, NWS has 95 F, WU has 97 F.  Those are very rare forecasted high temps.  Yeesh.  And I won't even comment on the Heat Index (find a happy place, find a happy place, find a happy place), but here's this morning's AFD from the NWS:

Current
heat index values are between 95-104, with a few locations
across Addison county likely to exceed these.

15 minutes ago, ApacheTrout said:

For Saturday in my neck of the woods, NWS has 95 F, WU has 97 F.  Those are very rare forecasted high temps.  Yeesh.  And I won't even comment on the Heat Index (find a happy place, find a happy place, find a happy place), but here's this morning's AFD from the NWS:

Current
heat index values are between 95-104, with a few locations
across Addison county likely to exceed these.

I may stay inside with the shades drawn, all fans blowing and the window AC unit on high. 

66856557_2847507358654480_687779106250555392_o.png

1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Green Mtns FTW today keeping it mostly cloudy for most of the day so far.   Keeping my house a nice 72-73F with just one AC on the first level.  Tomorrow and Sunday probably a different story.

image.thumb.png.8cbf57e8fb8ea76aa93700bc5b9d5198.png

Even here in Burlington it’s been mostly cloudy this afternoon.  I just biked downtown and back to run an errand and it was nice to be shaded by clouds.  It’s certainly humid for around here though – I see the current dew point at the BTV NWS site us 72°F.

I miss it up there with this recent heat. It has been absolutely awful with HI's near 110F each day and probably 115F today with a high around 100F. Nothing like dews in the mid 70's with temps in the 90's. After a shower the dew gets to 80 or so.

That's triple nasty, eyewall.  We are under Double Filthy Conditions today, just a notch below your weather.  Woke up and found dew on the grass with an air temp of 78F.  :axe:.  Went for a walk in the woods and came back drenched, feeling like I walked in the swamp, under water, uphill both ways, with a sloth on my back.

12 hours ago, ApacheTrout said:

That's triple nasty, eyewall.  We are under Double Filthy Conditions today, just a notch below your weather.  Woke up and found dew on the grass with an air temp of 78F.  :axe:.  Went for a walk in the woods and came back drenched, feeling like I walked in the swamp, under water, uphill both ways, with a sloth on my back.

Out here it still dropped into the 60s F last night, so it wasn’t too bad in the morning.  It was pretty hot today though, getting up around 90 F or so, and we headed out for a float on the Winooski to cool down.  We had some thunderstorms that came through the area later in the afternoon that gave us a pretty quick drop through the 80s F to get the evening cooling process going.  We’ve been dropping through the 70s F all evening, but I’m not sure if we’ll be able to get back into the 60s F tonight; the forecast suggests we’ll fall just a bit short.  Tomorrow looks notably cooler though, as well as tomorrow night, and then things drop even another notch on Monday with highs in the 70s and lows in the 50s F.