Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Warm Season Thread

powderfreak

11 hours ago, tamarack said:

I think this can work for advection fog as well, at least over a small area.  If there's a really moist E-SE flow during the cool seasons, I can expect to encounter fog on the SE-facing part of Mile Hill in Rome (Maine - I'm pretty ignorant on Italian wx.)

Yeah, when the stratus comes in it usually fogs in hard at GYX because we're 400 ft, but once you get into the Royal River Valley it clears out. The real trick is figuring out when all the low elevation sites go dense fog vs just the hill tops.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

The state of Vermont put out some photos of the Stowe landslide in the Cottonbrook area and man, it's pretty impressive.

I still don't get how this happens, it's like the earth just ripped out 25 feet deep and the entire side of the hill avalanched. 

Just tossed the trees like toothpicks.

Fascinating report from the State Geological Survey...

https://dec.vermont.gov/geological-survey/hazards/landslides/cotton-brook

"The main, active landslide area encompasses approximately 14 acres but cracks and scarps in the woods indicate that there are many other detached blocks. There is a high potential for additional failure and trails have been impacted."

Just like the freshets of old. I mean there are still scars from the late 1800s in NH. Stripped the mountains down the granite.

11 hours ago, powderfreak said:

The state of Vermont put out some photos of the Stowe landslide in the Cottonbrook area and man, it's pretty impressive.

I still don't get how this happens, it's like the earth just ripped out 25 feet deep and the entire side of the hill avalanched. 

Just tossed the trees like toothpicks.

Fascinating report from the State Geological Survey...

https://dec.vermont.gov/geological-survey/hazards/landslides/cotton-brook

"The main, active landslide area encompasses approximately 14 acres but cracks and scarps in the woods indicate that there are many other detached blocks. There is a high potential for additional failure and trails have been impacted."

CB_landslide1.JPG

CB_landslide3.JPG

Those poor saunas. 

Looks like i may need to get into the garden and tie off some plants after this rain................:(

A storm system will move into the area today and linger into Friday.
A widespread rainfall is expected. The heaviest rainfall amounts
look like they will come in two batches, one this afternoon and
another overnight. Total rainfall amounts are expected to be between
one and two inches. This may be enough to cause some localized
flooding in areas prone to poor drainage.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...Friday through Wednesday.

Northwest winds will increase behind a departing storm system on
Saturday. Gusts in the 35 to 40 mph range are possible.

12 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Yeah, when the stratus comes in it usually fogs in hard at GYX because we're 400 ft, but once you get into the Royal River Valley it clears out. The real trick is figuring out when all the low elevation sites go dense fog vs just the hill tops.

Hit the fog wall immediately as I began to go down the SE side of Mile Hill this morning - there was none at home though hilltops were a bit obscured, none while climbing Mile Hill or on its little plateau, and by the time I'd reached Belgrade Village there was very little.  It was just that one foggy mile or so.

Looks like i may need to get into the garden and tie off some plants after this rain................:(

Would not mind about an inch, as I'm 1.5" BN for the month to date, and it's been dry since last Thursday.  2" - no thanks.  (And we got out of SNJ just in time - serious flooding there from overnight downpours, including part of our usual I-295 route.)

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Hit the fog wall immediately as I began to go down the SE side of Mile Hill this morning - there was none at home though hilltops were a bit obscured, none while climbing Mile Hill or on its little plateau, and by the time I'd reached Belgrade Village there was very little.  It was just that one foggy mile or so.

Would not mind about an inch, as I'm 1.5" BN for the month to date, and it's been dry since last Thursday.  2" - no thanks.  (And we got out of SNJ just in time - serious flooding there from overnight downpours, including part of our usual I-295 route.)

1-2" qpf i don't need, Its been very wet so far this month, But those gusty winds on Saturday, Going to stake off the Tomato plants to keep them upright.

22 minutes ago, dryslot said:

1-2" qpf i don't need, Its been very wet so far this month, But those gusty winds on Saturday, Going to stake off the Tomato plants to keep them upright.

Likewise about the stakes, though most of the plants remain too short to really need the support.  Two weeks away from the garden so lots of work needed there.

48 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Likewise about the stakes, though most of the plants remain too short to really need the support.  Two weeks away from the garden so lots of work needed there.

Agree, Even a few days away the garden needs some tending too, Mine are already between 12-24" tall and will need the support, I have a different anchoring system though as their in containers and will tether them off the trellis.

Tomato 062019.jpg

1.87" as of 7 this morning, nearly all coming 1-8 PM yesterday - largest precip event since the 2.17" Grinch deluge last Dec. 21-22.  June went from half average to 0.2" AN for the date.  Have not seen a flash of lightning at home, or more than a few distant rumbles there, since last August.

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

1.87", First time all Winter/Spring i have equaled Tom in an event up here.

Unless my gauge holds a couple post-7 AM droplets.  ;)

Lots of garden work for tomorrow, and hoping that the wind keeps the skeeters at bay (and that the deerflies haven't appeared in great numbers - would take a Cat 3 to beat them back.)

• Haha 1

This question is mostly for Tamarack.   When does White Pine pollen peak?   I would think it should have been everything is running so late.  Everything coated here.  I have been mostly able to keep all the windows closed this whole month with temps each day in the 60's to mid 70's.   House guests this week and warmer temperatures mean I want to open windows wide.  Is peak about over?  Assume it has a ways to go in extreme northern areas.

41 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

This question is mostly for Tamarack.   When does White Pine pollen peak?   I would think it should have been everything is running so late.  Everything coated here.  I have been mostly able to keep all the windows closed this whole month with temps each day in the 60's to mid 70's.   House guests this week and warmer temperatures mean I want to open windows wide.  Is peak about over?  Assume it has a ways to go in extreme northern areas.

June is pollen month for white pine, also for red spruce.  Everything seems 7-10 days late this cool cloudy season - normally the pollen peak would be before mid-month, but around here the blossoms on WP only appeared while we were in SNJ (6/11-18) and pollen fall will probably last to the 25th or beyond.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

It's mostly done here... But there are very few white pines here, mostly red spruce and balsam fir

• Like 1