Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Warm Season Thread

powderfreak

4 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Funny as Alex mentioned Orlando as I just got back late Friday from there as well, dews and heat felt nice nice when you have easy pool access.

Back to perfect NNE spring conditions for a morning hike..

rps20190518_154223.thumb.jpg.6f9f407f304590832a3e7ffc4baebf4d.jpg

Agree - it felt fantastic! Even during the day it was very enjoyable (we were doing Disney so no pool access during the day). Mexico was downright hot but I was in the pool all day there. Coming back to 40 degrees and the smell of smoke (renters had stove going) felt like the transition from summer to fall. 

Off topic, but really sad situation down in Mexico. Beaches that used to be immaculate were covered in sargassum. Apparently it's been happening for 2 years. Some attribute it to global warming and pollution but it's not entirely clear. Still, heavenly places like Akumal which had swimming pool like coastline now have brownish water and piles of algae everywhere. It's sad. We went diving and you notice a thick brown layer in the top 20 ft or so of water. The reef don't seem affected... For now. But it's a stark wake up call and reminder of what we are doing to this planet.

20 hours ago, alex said:

Agree - it felt fantastic! Even during the day it was very enjoyable (we were doing Disney so no pool access during the day). Mexico was downright hot but I was in the pool all day there. Coming back to 40 degrees and the smell of smoke (renters had stove going) felt like the transition from summer to fall. 

Off topic, but really sad situation down in Mexico. Beaches that used to be immaculate were covered in sargassum. Apparently it's been happening for 2 years. Some attribute it to global warming and pollution but it's not entirely clear. Still, heavenly places like Akumal which had swimming pool like coastline now have brownish water and piles of algae everywhere. It's sad. We went diving and you notice a thick brown layer in the top 20 ft or so of water. The reef don't seem affected... For now. But it's a stark wake up call and reminder of what we are doing to this planet.

May have something to do with nitrogen runoff. Resorts, golf courses and just in general more people. 

Nice T storm just moved through.  No wind but quite a bit of C to G lightning bolts.  Cam caught this one a little to close for comfort.  Ignore the white line, that is just a bug flying by the infrared cam.  Wait for the thunder,  I'm still looking for my freaked out cats!

https://video.nest.com/clip/b80d1c8cb07643c3b7095d055617e9dc.mp4

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 4:20 PM, powderfreak said:

The snow pack level is retreating up the slopes. 

Mountains still largely look like "stick season" though some light green is starting to head up to the lower slopes.

2L8A7953_edited-2.thumb.jpg.4d95a3e08fb173271a0983ab437b529e.jpg

I headed up for a ski tour yesterday, and based off of a tip I got from some guys I met on my Tuesday tour after the snowstorm, I headed for the Mountain Triple area.  They’d told me that the Sunrise area had some good snowpack, and on the lower mountain I found that there’s really good coverage on Standard right to the base.  The resort clearly made a lot of snow there this season, no doubt to support the terrain park.  The snow cover isn’t quite 100% continuous throughout the entire length of Standard, but it’s very close.  The only gaps are a couple of rather small ones that can be easily traversed without taking off your skis.  There are a couple more spots that will likely open up soon, so anyone that goes up should watch for that over the course of the next week.

I only had a certain amount of time, so I stopped my ascent after about 1,000’ of vertical near the top of Standard.  There was plenty of snow to continue upward though for those interested in a longer descent.  I’ve added a few shots from the tour below, and you can see the substantial snow that goes right to the base of Standard in the first one.  North Slope and Nosedive have plenty of good snow as well, but I think Standard might be the place right now for best descent right to the base.

18MAY19B.jpg

18MAY19A.jpg

18MAY19C.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 12:56 PM, dendrite said:

Here’s a kuchera

0d40d5_e84d7be1ec984d9c876da50ecdcfbc4b~

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 5:02 PM, tamarack said:

Busted big time - only got 35" here during those 10 days.

I saw your post Tamarack and it made me curious as to how that forecast played out here.  We had essentially the same amount of snowfall during that period, and it looks like that was just about what they algorithm predicted.  That’s actually pretty good for predicting over a 10-day period.

Holy crap that was some rain last night...more impressive rain event in a while obviously with these numbers. 

My stratus cracked over the winter and haven't gotten a new one but the half ass garden rain gauge says 2.25-2.5" but I'd estimate halfway between those values so 2.35-2.4" or so. 

The guy in the Stowe Lower Village had 2.53".

J.Spin with 2.78" and even a 3"+ west slope of Camels Hump.  

Fresh tree in the river this morning, root ball and tiny green leaves so it was growing happily yesterday.  No mas. Can also see some of the smaller creeks crossed RT 108 like by Topnotch Resort. It must've been mayhem in the river and feeder creeks at like 3am last night.

Humid torrential rain and still high Mtn snowmelt... I think that was the final blow to skiing.  

Now can finally say "Shut 'em Down" at Stowe.

IMG_3245.GIF.53854353d056d5e7e4fbaf0d59b27515.GIF

16 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Holy crap that was some rain last night...more impressive rain event in a while obviously with these numbers. 

My stratus cracked over the winter and haven't gotten a new one but the half ass garden rain gauge says 2.25-2.5" but I'd estimate halfway between those values so 2.35-2.4" or so. 

The guy in the Stowe Lower Village had 2.53".

J.Spin with 2.78" and even a 3"+ west slope of Camels Hump.  

Fresh tree in the river this morning, root ball and tiny green leaves so it was growing happily yesterday.  No mas. Can also see some of the smaller creeks crossed RT 108 like by Topnotch Resort. It must've been mayhem in the river and feeder creeks at like 3am last night.

IMG_3245.GIF.53854353d056d5e7e4fbaf0d59b27515.GIF

As occasionally happens, the drainage pipe under our driveway clogged at some point during the heavy rain so I had to do a bit of washout work on the driveway this morning, and I’ll have to finish that up this afternoon.  The bottom 1/3 of the Waterbury Park and Ride even flooded in this event – there’s a 12” diameter log sitting in the lower part of the lot, and cars that appeared to have been parked overnight in those lower spots have piles of sticks that accumulated on the upstream sides of their wheels.  Hopefully there wasn’t any water damage to those vehicles, but it looks like it could have been close.  That’s the first time I’ve seen that area flood that high, but it does give one some insight into the safest spots to park there.

16 hours ago, powderfreak said:

It's working its way north... Newport, VT just cracked 60F while it's 80F here... same 750ft elevation just 20 miles north.

Never got here yesterday - high was 53.  Total precip thru 7 this morning was 0.57", most of which came 3-5 AM.  Had a 10-minute downpour in Augusta at 8, now just very light stuff.  Big Q: will we warm-sector this afternoon?  Forecast says yes, though as Chris notes in the convection thread, svr chances seem to be retreating.  SNH already upper 60s with mid-60s dews while AUG area was near 50.

As I posted in another thread, Eye in the Sky reported this morning that they got 3.22 inches overnight at the Fairbanks Museum in St. Johnsbury which was the second most in 24 hours in May, only behind the flooding T-storms in 2011.

10 hours ago, J.Spin said:

As occasionally happens, the drainage pipe under our driveway clogged at some point during the heavy rain so I had to do a bit of washout work on the driveway this morning, and I’ll have to finish that up this afternoon.  The bottom 1/3 of the Waterbury Park and Ride even flooded in this event – there’s a 12” diameter log sitting in the lower part of the lot, and cars that appeared to have been parked overnight in those lower spots have piles of sticks that accumulated on the upstream sides of their wheels.  Hopefully there wasn’t any water damage to those vehicles, but it looks like it could have been close.  That’s the first time I’ve seen that area flood that high, but it does give one some insight into the safest spots to park there.

What river/creek/brook/etc floods the park and ride?  I know where the park and ride is off Stowe Street there but is it the waterway that follows RT 100 further north a bit across from Ben and Jerry's?  I heard that thing was almost about to cross RT 100 there near Guptil Road (where the new traffic light when in) at like 7am this morning. 

Anyway, last night's rain almost doubled May's precipitation total here of ~5.75".

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

What river/creek/brook/etc floods the park and ride?  I know where the park and ride is off Stowe Street there but is it the waterway that follows RT 100 further north a bit across from Ben and Jerry's?  I heard that thing was almost about to cross RT 100 there near Guptil Road (where the new traffic light when in) at like 7am this morning. 

Anyway, last night's rain almost doubled May's precipitation total here of ~5.75".

That’s Thatcher Brook – it passes through both those spots before joining the Winooski.  Right at the Waterbury Park and Ride is where Graves Brook joins into it and adds additional flow, and I could see that Graves Brook also flooded the yards of those houses right across the street from the Park and Ride.

We’re at 6.24” of liquid for the month here, so fairly similar to what you’ve seen.

• Thanks 1

Still waiting for the garden to dry enough to till, but first two mowing sessions complete, clean up of more blow downs than ever in our back woods, and some good, albeit chilly pedaling. 

We got in one last ski Wed night, likely the last night to ski continuous from the lift. The fork is in.

one goes out, another comes in...

47929095427_f3af85bbdd_b.jpg

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Last snow patch that I can see is melting on Ragged Mtn.  Nice T storm last night  about .70"  Black flies are peaking

I didn't hear any thunder last night but was surprised to find a healthy 1.25" in the gauge this morning.  I didn't think it rained that hard.

The local Stowe 0.2SW CoCoRAHS station in the lower village is at 7.75" on the month, should make 8" total by the time the month ends.

This area from Stowe south to Waterbury and Duxbury, over to Cabot to the NE and Huntington to the SE has been in quite a wet zone lately.

Untitled.png.c2e94a7720d6aa2965a237516d1c99ea.png

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I didn't hear any thunder last night but was surprised to find a healthy 1.25" in the gauge this morning.  I didn't think it rained that hard.

The local Stowe 0.2SW CoCoRAHS station in the lower village is at 7.75" on the month, should make 8" total by the time the month ends.

This area from Stowe south to Waterbury and Duxbury, over to Cabot to the NE and Huntington to the SE has been in quite a wet zone lately.

Untitled.png.c2e94a7720d6aa2965a237516d1c99ea.png

Thanks for the data PF.  This moisture has been welcomed at our site because it’s allowed a couple of dry areas on the lawn to start to recover from last summer’s dryness.  With the climate here along the spine giving us ample moisture, the lawn is definitely not used to any sort of extended dry periods.  Yesterday I did the first mow of the season, but it was only partial because I’ve still got some spots that can probably go another week.  That’s pretty much on schedule, but unfortunately it means that spring honeymoon period is mostly over now.  As usual it’s just about the time that skiing is winding down, so that works out well.  Of course, biking season is now ramping up.

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 10:13 AM, wxeyeNH said:

As soon as I saw that I thought of you.  Your almost never safe to plant their, maybe a few weeks in July.  Have a nice Memorial Day.  All my apple trees are in bloom so glad I will escape frost up on the hill.

Could be even worse - the logging contractor who lived just across the frontier from St.-Pamphile, PQ had his garden killed on July 4th week 4 years running, before he gave up.  (Back in the cold 1970s, when my pumpkins got scorched on 7/31/78.)

15 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Could be even worse - the logging contractor who lived just across the frontier from St.-Pamphile, PQ had his garden killed on July 4th week 4 years running, before he gave up.  (Back in the cold 1970s, when my pumpkins got scorched on 7/31/78.)

You think of our forefathers who planted and lived in NNE.  Colder climate.  No weather forecasts or plastic to cover crops.  A kill in July can mean the difference between starving the next winter and having a bounty.  I was talking to my Mom in Bend Oregon the other day.  They had a early spring and all the apple trees even Rhodos bloomed.  Then the past week a hard freeze and everything dead.

2 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

You think of our forefathers who planted and lived in NNE.  Colder climate.  No weather forecasts or plastic to cover crops.  A kill in July can mean the difference between starving the next winter and having a bounty.  I was talking to my Mom in Bend Oregon the other day.  They had a early spring and all the apple trees even Rhodos bloomed.  Then the past week a hard freeze and everything dead.

Shades of 2010, when the 13 weeks ending May 7 featured just 13 with BN temps and that quarter year ran nearly +8°, causing my apple trees to be in full bloom that early.  Then May 11-13 had minima of 22,26,25, not only killing every blossom but also toasting all the ash and oak leaves plus some (usually hardy) sugar maple.  Most damaging late freeze I've seen.