• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Upstate/Eastern New York

Where in the Northtowns are you? I'm about 3 miles north of the airport and the report for that timeframe was 65" I believe...if not at that number give or take an inch here or there I was right near that number. We had snowfall with the second LES event that lasted for almost 30 straight hours.  It was not as epic as '85 or 2000 in that area but it was pretty classic from a longevity standpoint.

6 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Yeah I Remember this one as I just bought my house in West Seneca and haven’t moved in yet. I was still living in Amherst and commuting to work in Hamburg and landed up getting stuck at work in Hamburg. Made it to the Tim Hortons at Southwestern and Abbott by the Stadium in OP but there were so many cars stuck and stranded I could not make it down as every major road was just clogged with stranded cars and traffic. I had my 4 wheel drive pickup truck and made it through the snow no problem but had to turn around and head back to work to spend the night cause there was no way I was making it back to Amherst. That was a pretty intense storm and especially with how short the duration was (if I remember correctly there was about 2 feet in 12 hours) and tons of thunder and lightning from what I remember. However, in my opinion I think this storm still falls just short of the big ones of 3’+. 

The coldest air of the young autumn season will be upon us Friday
and Friday night. Friday morning 850 hPa temperatures will likely
start around zero Celsius across the region with early morning
temperatures in the 40s only warming to the upper 40s to mid 50s
under a wealth of stratocumulus. A few lake effect rain showers are
possible through the day, with greatest chances southeast of Lake
Ontario where the cooler air aloft will reside.

Though temperatures begin to warm some aloft Friday night...a broad
surface high will track to right over the region by Saturday
morning. This will create excellent radiational cooling
conditions...with clear skies and light winds allowing for
temperatures to dip into the mid 20s (interior cold spots) to upper
30s (near the lake shoreline). Widespread frost or freeze conditions
are becoming more likely for Friday night for a good portion of our
area away from the Lakes.

Saturday this surface high will advance to our east, with a
southerly return flow making for a comfortable afternoon with a mix
of sun and clouds and temperatures peaking around 60F.

The next system of note will arrive Sunday and Monday when a cold
front approaches and will likely stall out near our CWA. Waves of
low pressure along this front will likely maintain chances for
showers for both Sunday and Monday.

4 hours ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Where in the Northtowns are you? I'm about 3 miles north of the airport and the report for that timeframe was 65" I believe...if not at that number give or take an inch here or there I was right near that number. We had snowfall with the second LES event that lasted for almost 30 straight hours.  It was not as epic as '85 or 2000 in that area but it was pretty classic from a longevity standpoint.

5 miles due west from the KBUF ASOS. My long time neighbors tell me that Nov 2000 and Oct 2006 were the kind of storms that hit this area the hardest. Storms that veer up to a downtown to airport to Clarence Center heading don’t hit us very hard. I’m told that we used to get storms like that every 5 years or so, but we haven’t had an epic storm since the October storm.

Looks like we're getting closer and closer to that special time of year guys! Hope everyone had a great Summer and good riddance!  It wasn't a particularly HOT summer, but the heat was continuous with no real severe weather in and around CNY, for me, unless others saw things play out differently. Either way, first freeze, of this early season, may be upon us this Friday so we'll see!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Would love to see a chart to show how many broken high temps vs low temps we've had the last few decades. 

I'd also like to see a chart that shows frequency of "epic' lake effect events. Seems like we have had quite a few in the past 20 years, starting with the crippling storm the week of thanksgiving in 2000.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

I'd also like to see a chart that shows frequency of "epic' lake effect events. Seems like we have had quite a few in the past 20 years, starting with the crippling storm the week of thanksgiving in 2000.

If you get the book Buffalo Snowstorms, you will see there have been many huge events throughout the years in WNY. There was one in the 50s that rivaled November 2014. 

• Like 2

If you get the book Buffalo Snowstorms, you will see there have been many huge events throughout the years in WNY. There was one in the 50s that rivaled November 2014. 

Seriously... if any of the Buffalo guys don’t have this book YOU ARE MISSING OUT! In fact Paul just put the book 50% off on his eBay store $9.95!
ad0379f6d28f8dbe530772d7e203767d.jpg3ed933de6e9bb2805fa19fb55237c557.jpg

• Like 3

Do you mean Dec 1945? 3 day storm total of 36.6” at the airport. 68” in Lackawanna and 71” in Lancaster?

We all know the recent epic storms Nov 14, Dec 10, Oct 06, Dec 01, Nov 2000, Dec 95, Jan 85... But the history of lake storms beyond that is pretty limited in information accessibility. Here’s some more notable ones that I think would fall into the epic classifications...

Jan 99 airport recorded 13 consecutive days of lake effect snow dropping 60.2”

Jan 82 airport had 28.8” in just over 24 hours. 50mph winds and -60 wind chills.

Dec 76 3 day storm totals ranged from 38.8” at the airport to 50-60” from South Buffalo to Hamburg. Hamburg reported 48” during the first 36 hour storm.

Nov 51 storm totals of 18” from NT to Lockport and 24”+ in Hamburg. Only on list for this factoid. Storm was so electrified lightning hit a factory downtown blowing apart its brick chimney.

Dec 45 I mentioned above.

Dec 37 3 day totals ranged from 12” in South Buffalo to 36”+ over North Buffalo and Amherst. Storm also brought high winds that piled drifts 10-15’. Red Cross had to snowshoe food and supplies to hundreds trapped in their homes in the north towns.

Oct 30 2 day snow totals of 21” in South Buffalo to 48” in Angola.

Dec 27 24 hour storm dropped 13” in the city with 36”-48” from East Aurora to Hamburg.

• Thanks 1