• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

3 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

I can say the same for people that like hot and humid weather haha. Nothing like catching a sweat the minute u leave the house lol Or better yet getting eating alive by every bug imaginable..

I enjoy my grass to look green not brown, Albeit this rain is getting a bit much, I'd take 60s everyday :D

I just hate feeling cold. I don't get warm unless it's 85 or above and humid. If you swim or go to the lake, anything below 85 and its chilly, especially if there is wind. 60s are also to cold for outdoor tennis, volleyball, and BBQ. Need at least 75+ for that. Add any wind to that and you need at least 80+ to not feel cold. Warm/Humid nights are the best for walking. You should move to Iceland its 50s and cloudy all year long.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

Another beautiful April day here. Sun is shining with temps in the 50’s and a stiff breeze. What, it’s June 14th?  No way!!!

I’ll stand on the year without a summer train until the pattern we’ve been in since March changes. Until then, rain, cool, and gray dominates with temporary teases of summer. 

Sadly that should have been our winter...the ingredients were there but El Nino decided to crash the party...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Sadly that should have been our winter...the ingredients were there but El Nino decided to crash the party...

We had the 8th snowiest winter in history at Buffalo. El Nino= higher snowfall. I'll take a repeat of last year with slightly colder temps and a much better December if possible. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

It was the 12th snowiest not the 8th, albeit still impressive. However, most of this snow (over 60", which is over 50% of the seasonal total of 118.7" ) came in a 3 week period in January. There were frequent thaws throughout the winter and even if they were short lived they were enough to keep us from building an impressive pack. Even during the 60"+ in 3 weeks there was never more than 20" on the ground due to the thaws in between shots of lake effect. Don't get me wrong, we could have, and have done much worse than last winter but I think for "one of the snowiest winters" in Buffalo's history, it sure didn't feel all that snowy. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

54 degrees and pouring rain here right now at 11:15 am on June 16, yikes!  We’ve lost the lawn at our cottage on Chaumont Bay to Lake Ontario.  Water is now at the cottage steps. On the plus side, I can launch my paddle board right from the porch!  

Climate change, bad luck, biblical scourge...?  

Sorry to hear about your cottage. Has there been any damage to it when the winds/waves pick up? That is one of my favorite areas I’ve ever been and I’ve been to nearly every state in the country but for some reason I find the 1000 Islands region of Upstate NY one of the most naturally beautiful areas. I used to vacation every year in Clayton, NY but haven’t been in about 5 years. 

This is weather is just dismal. Don’t get me wrong I’m glad it’s not 85-90+ everyday with high humidity because that gets old quick especially when working outdoors, but this constant cloud cover, cool temps, and rain is just awful. We’re only 1 week from the solstice and it’s only 55 degrees at noon with a “heavy mist” falling, this after over 1.5” of rain fell yesterday evening and overnight. Yard is a pond, saw numerous creeks at or over bank full while driving to work this morning. Give me some 70s and sunshine for more than a day or two and I’d be thrilled because this is just unreal how persistent this pattern is. We’ve only had 3 days of 80+ this year with none on the horizon in at least the next 10 days. With all the cold temperatures and rain we’ve gotten with possibly several more inches possible at the end of the week as mentioned in the latest HWO by the NWS, I’m not sure if anyone will be swimming in their pools until after the 4th if they’re lucky! 

Happy Father’s Day to all the dads out there! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WesterlyWx said:

Sorry to hear about your cottage. Has there been any damage to it when the winds/waves pick up? That is one of my favorite areas I’ve ever been and I’ve been to nearly every state in the country but for some reason I find the 1000 Islands region of Upstate NY one of the most naturally beautiful areas. I used to vacation every year in Clayton, NY but haven’t been in about 5 years. 

This is weather is just dismal. Don’t get me wrong I’m glad it’s not 85-90+ everyday with high humidity because that gets old quick especially when working outdoors, but this constant cloud cover, cool temps, and rain is just awful. We’re only 1 week from the solstice and it’s only 55 degrees at noon with a “heavy mist” falling, this after over 1.5” of rain fell yesterday evening and overnight. Yard is a pond, saw numerous creeks at or over bank full while driving to work this morning. Give me some 70s and sunshine for more than a day or two and I’d be thrilled because this is just unreal how persistent this pattern is. We’ve only had 3 days of 80+ this year with none on the horizon in at least the next 10 days. With all the cold temperatures and rain we’ve gotten with possibly several more inches possible at the end of the week as mentioned in the latest HWO by the NWS, I’m not sure if anyone will be swimming in their pools until after the 4th if they’re lucky! 

Summer just is not long enough here for us to be pissing away entire days watching chilly rain fall outside.

Very demoralizing.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, WesterlyWx said:

End of June into July is starting to look pretty warm. 

Washout: An inch or more of rain Thursday could cause minor flooding, push Lake Ontario higher

Heavy rain will hit the Rochester-Finger Lakes region Thursday, with an inch possible in many spots and higher totals possible in the southern parts of the region.

Some minor flooding is possible, and the rain could push already-swollen Lake Ontario to new record heights.

Light rain and a few thundershowers are possible Wednesday, but the heavier precipitation arrives Thursday morning. Rain is expected to continue all day and fall even harder Thursday night, the National Weather Service said. A few thunderstorms are possible as well.

The track of an oncoming storm system remained uncertain Wednesday morning, the National Weather Service said, and hence forecasters found it difficult to predict rainfall totals.

An inch of rain was likely in many locations, with 1½ inches possible in the Southern Tier.

The heavy rain, should it develop as forecast, could put a damper on the hopes of Lake Ontario shoreline property owners that water levels will go down.

The lake has been above the previous record high water level since May 31, and peaked at its highest point yet on Friday after a modest rainfall on Thursday.

It has declined slightly since then, but likely would go up again after Thursday's rainfall, with a new high-water mark possible.

Rain is expected to let up by early Friday, with sunny skies returning for much of the day.

Rainfall in Rochester was very close to the long-term average for the first half of June, but areas near the east end of Lake Ontario have had nearly double their normal ration of rain in that time.

qpf_acc.us_ne (12).png

qpf_acc.us_ne (13).png

A lot of hype about the rain tomorrow.  This just further shows how overly dramatic the media and NWS is getting.  Since when is an inch of rain big news?  We could actually use some rain as the gardens and lawns were feeling downright hard yesterday.  It's been a perfect week so far, one day of rain, then three more gorgeous days.  Looks great to me!  

• Like 1

First flood warning of the spring/summer..

The National Weather Service in Buffalo has issued a

* Flood Warning for...
  Cayuga County in central New York...
  Oswego County in central New York...

* Until 145 PM EDT.

* At 1038 AM EDT, Doppler radar and automated rain gauges indicated
  thunderstorms with heavy rain over the area. The rain will cause
  flooding. Up to two and a half inches of rain have already fallen.

* Some locations that will experience flooding include...
  Oswego, Fulton, Fair Haven Beach State Park, Pulaski, Central
  Square, Weedsport, Redfield, Cato, Selkirk Shores State Park and
  Mexico Point State Park.

This includes the following highways...
 Interstate 90 near exit 40.
 Interstate 81 between exits 32 and 38.

Hey, weather friends!

Welp, I accepted a job in Baldwinsville a couple weeks ago. Sooooo, it looks like I will be calling several of you my neighbors soon. Won't be in the heavy snowbelt anymore :( but close enough that I will be able to enjoy some lake effect events. The wife and I are looking on the northern side of Baldwinsville, from the 4 corners to Radisson, and north and west. So, that will put me even closer to some of the good bands when the right flow sets up.

If any of you Baldwinsville/Lysander/Phoenix posters have a house for sale (not looking for anything fancy) or an apartment, shoot me a message.

I look forward to joining the beautiful, scenic, friendly community of B'ville!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TugHillMatt said:

Hey, weather friends!

Welp, I accepted a job in Baldwinsville a couple weeks ago. Sooooo, it looks like I will be calling several of you my neighbors soon. Won't be in the heavy snowbelt anymore :( but close enough that I will be able to enjoy some lake effect events. The wife and I are looking on the northern side of Baldwinsville, from the 4 corners to Radisson, and north and west. So, that will put me even closer to some of the good bands when the right flow sets up.

If any of you Baldwinsville/Lysander/Phoenix posters have a house for sale (not looking for anything fancy) or an apartment, shoot me a message.

I look forward to joining the beautiful, scenic, friendly community of B'ville!

Congrats Tug! Hope you're having a good summer.

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Congrats Tug! Hope you're having a good summer.

Thanks! I guess I'll be changing my name soon. :) I am loving the cooler temps this summer, while my wife is not. haha....both of us agree we would love some more sunshine.

I hope you're having a great summer too. I plan on checking in a little more often again over the summer.

15 hours ago, wolfie09 said:

Congrats B'ville Matt !!

Now I Know I'm in for a good winter with many Westerly events:P

Local WU station finished with 2.7" liquid yesterday...

Lol...

Thanks for the congrats! We may end up in Southern Oswego County to live. Taxes are so much lower there. I've considered your old stomping grounds of Fulton, but not sure I want to do that drive. I've also had several "warnings" not to even consider Fulton.

Looks like a warm week incoming with Max temps between 78-83 (forecasted) which is several degrees above normal..

The 90's look to stay south, especially over the MA region where some could see an "official" heat wave..

As of now the CPC has day 8-14 probabilities average-below average for the GL region..