• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

Hawaii was incredible, one of the best trips I've ever gone on. The diversity of climate was surreal. On the western portion of the island (downslope) you get 85 and sunny everyday. On the eastern side you get 70s and rain. On the two 13,700 foot mountains you get 30s and snow. On the southern portion where the active volcanoe is you get 60s and cloudy. I've never seen anything like it. All of that within a 2 hour drive. I came back to the worst weather ever, 40s and rain. However, this weekend looks fantastic 70s and sunshine!

• Like 1

On 5/14/2019 at 1:29 AM, BuffaloWeather said:

Hawaii was incredible, one of the best trips I've ever gone on. The diversity of climate was surreal. On the western portion of the island (downslope) you get 85 and sunny everyday. On the eastern side you get 70s and rain. On the two 13,700 foot mountains you get 30s and snow. On the southern portion where the active volcanoe is you get 60s and cloudy. I've never seen anything like it. All of that within a 2 hour drive. I came back to the worst weather ever, 40s and rain. However, this weekend looks fantastic 70s and sunshine!

Pretty cool, huh? Maui is similar. Rain on one side and sun on the other. You gotta pay attention when deciding where to stay. Especially if doing VRBO or similar. The resorts are all on the ‘good’ side. 

Glad you enjoyed it. Any bugs? I didn’t see any mosquitoes while I was there. 

1 hour ago, rochesterdave said:

Pretty cool, huh? Maui is similar. Rain on one side and sun on the other. You gotta pay attention when deciding where to stay. Especially if doing VRBO or similar. The resorts are all on the ‘good’ side. 

Glad you enjoyed it. Any bugs? I didn’t see any mosquitoes while I was there. 

Yeah I would only visit the Big Island or Kauai as we like to hike and explore quite a bit and those 2 islands are by far the best for that. The big island wasn't touristy at all. Have to show you guys some pics once I get uploaded, some of them are incredible.

• Like 1

At least we got in one beautiful day, picture perfect, low-mid 50's with full sun and no wind, feels like it 70° out..

Looks to be short lived though with high end pops for tomorrow and Monday, next 7 days looks to stay mostly below average for this time of year

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Was planning on opening the pool on memorial day weekend, really hope we can get some nice weather next. This would have temps around 80 for at least a few days. 

ecmwf-ens_T850a_us_9.png

That would be sweet indeed.

We have a little lake cabin.  Usually around now we would be getting the dock and lift in.  Haven't even considered it yet this year.  Water too high and way too cold.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cny rider said:

That would be sweet indeed.

We have a little lake cabin.  Usually around now we would be getting the dock and lift in.  Haven't even considered it yet this year.  Water too high and way too cold.

The average high/low for the 26th (memorial day) is 70/51. Thought it would be a little warmer then that. 

Water levels right now are at their highest in history. I was looking at the walkway along the Niagara river and its almost completely submerged, I've never seen that before. 

All the summer lovers (myself included) should love Sunday.  It will be the first truly hot day since last September.  One of the latest, first 80 degree years in quite some time too so it will really feel unique to winter conditioned bodies.  Also looks like a chance for some discrete severe storms in the afternoon.  

• Like 2

Just now, DeltaT13 said:

All the summer lovers (myself included) should love Sunday.  It will be the first truly hot day since last September.  One of the latest, first 80 degree years in quite some time too so it will really feel unique to winter conditioned bodies.  Also looks like a chance for some discrete severe storms in the afternoon.  

Music to my ears. Hopefully lake chilled breezes don’t get too far away from the shores. I was in downtown BUF for a bit this evening. Temp dropped from 64 at my house to 50 down at canal side. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

It's been since 2003 that we haven't hit 80 degrees by now. That year we didn't hit it until June 17th which is incredible to think about. Don't think we'll go that long this year but if we don't hit 80 Sunday (I could see KBUF topping out at 79 with a SW breeze) it may well take until June before we see it finally happen. 

30 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

More rain than I was expecting..I thought it was just some "scattered" t-storms lol

Have my first cookout scheduled for 2 pm today:weenie:..

Screenshot_20190519-085542.png

Started the new smoker up at 4 AM this morning. Doing my first brisket I’ve ever done today and having about 15 people over to hopefully enjoy it this afternoon. About 6:30 am this morning it started pouring rain for about 10 minutes while the sun was still completely shining. Checked radar and there was about a mile and a half wide cell of 50+ dbz returns smack dab over my house. 

• Haha 2

Its been a wild day here with three separate rounds of torrential rains and some limited thunder.  We never cracked 80 and probably won't now until June.  Further downstream and Firmly in the warm sector is Penn Yan at a stifling 87 right now!

On the flip side, areas around Duluth right now are reporting very heavy snow temps in the mid 30's.  Thats intense.  

2 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

Its been a wild day here with three separate rounds of torrential rains and some limited thunder.  We never cracked 80 and probably won't now until June.  Further downstream and Firmly in the warm sector is Penn Yan at a stifling 87 right now!

On the flip side, areas around Duluth right now are reporting very heavy snow temps in the mid 30's.  Thats intense.  

It got up to 84F with a dew point of 67F here. Humid enough that that my shirt was dripping from sweat after twenty minutes of light yard work! No sign of rain at all — a cooling shower before sunset would be nice.

It’s been an interesting afternoon here weather wise. First Syracuse broke 80 degrees for the first time in over 200 days.  Then thunderstorms fired up to the west and moved through Onondaga County. Each one produced heavy rain and the last one spawned a tornado warning. I haven’t seen any confirmation that any damage occurred yet. It looks like things are winding down now but it was pretty wild for a while. 

Edit:  It was 256 days since the last 80 degree temperature in Syracuse or 8 1/2 months. 

Syracuse, N.Y. -- Many Central New Yorkers spotted what looked like a funnel cloud during damaging storms Sunday afternoon, but it wasn’t a tornado, the National Weather Service said.

One cloud was seen above the New York State fairgrounds, where a roof was blown off a building and dropped onto State Fair Boulevard.

“We looked at the video of the funnel-like looking cloud that went across the fairgrounds yesterday, and it is a shelf cloud along the leading edge of a gust front,” said Dave Nicosia, the warning coordination meteorologist in the weather service’s Binghamton office. "There was no visible rotation."

Rotation is the signature sign of a tornado. The weather service had issued a tornado warning after meteorologists spotted a thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado at 4:12 p.m. over the fairgrounds.

The video and the damage, Nicosia said, indicated that strong wind gusts were to blame.

“Based on this and reports on the ground, this was a straight-line wind event between 60 and 70 mph,” he said in an email to the media and emergency managers.

In a tweet this afternoon, the weather service said a microburst likely delivered those strong winds.

Nicosia said the weather service won’t send meteorologists to investigate, as it does when a tornado or microburst is suspected.

download_20190520_143443.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Syracuse, N.Y. -- Many Central New Yorkers spotted what looked like a funnel cloud during damaging storms Sunday afternoon, but it wasn’t a tornado, the National Weather Service said.

One cloud was seen above the New York State fairgrounds, where a roof was blown off a building and dropped onto State Fair Boulevard.

“We looked at the video of the funnel-like looking cloud that went across the fairgrounds yesterday, and it is a shelf cloud along the leading edge of a gust front,” said Dave Nicosia, the warning coordination meteorologist in the weather service’s Binghamton office. "There was no visible rotation."

Rotation is the signature sign of a tornado. The weather service had issued a tornado warning after meteorologists spotted a thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado at 4:12 p.m. over the fairgrounds.

The video and the damage, Nicosia said, indicated that strong wind gusts were to blame.

“Based on this and reports on the ground, this was a straight-line wind event between 60 and 70 mph,” he said in an email to the media and emergency managers.

In a tweet this afternoon, the weather service said a microburst likely delivered those strong winds.

Nicosia said the weather service won’t send meteorologists to investigate, as it does when a tornado or microburst is suspected.

download_20190520_143443.jpg

There was a tornado warning at this same time with radar indicating a tornado. That definitely looks very close to the ground, tough to tell because of how far away it is. But that is a massive funnel. 

There is a massive tornadic outbreak that is going to happen this afternoon. Some of the craziest soundings I've seen since April 2011. Will be following it closely in the western section. 

• Like 1