• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May Banter 2019

George BM

Back from out west. Wonderful vacation. Visited Capitol Reef NP, Bryce NP, Zion NP and Great Basin NP. It snowed/sleeted rained on us most days but still had a wonderful time. Only downfall was the river was WAY up in Zion and couldn't go up into the Narrows. Son and I both agreed we'd be back to do it another year, maybe combine only Zion and Grand Canyon (he wants to go rim to rim and back hiking there) to get it done. Climbing Angels Landing in Zion was awesome! Put 5400 miles on the car in two weeks lol. Beautiful parks, highly recommend Zion if you want to do a NP, but DO stay IN THE PARK. We did and so glad, if you stay outside you have to ride buses to go anywhere. You still have to ride buses above the lodge, but least you can go other places in your car and aren't tied to the bus schedule. Rooms outside the park are only 20-30 a night cheaper and the views from your window waking up in the park are worth that plus.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I visited there years ago when my brother was stationed in Connecticut. Nice area. Are you living in Providence?

A bit further north. I booked a few Airbnb’s in Massachusetts for the next few weeks as I search for apartments, but I’m going to try finding a place around Cumberland. Side note, apparently this area was in the jackpot in Feb 1978.

52 minutes ago, Fozz said:

A bit further north. I booked a few Airbnb’s in Massachusetts for the next few weeks as I search for apartments, but I’m going to try finding a place around Cumberland. Side note, apparently this area was in the jackpot in Feb 1978.

Good luck. Not much elevation anywhere in the state- around 800 ft in the NW corner is the highest I think. But finding a location further north and away from the coast will put you in a better spot for most events in winter.

35 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Yeah, I’m still up that way, just on vacation. It’d be great to meet up when you’re settled.

On vacation! 

Hey! I’m actually doing my road trip vacation now! Just leaving Voyageurs in MN and should be passing through those parks on the way back. Yellowstone might be a mess due to wx in a few days...

Yellowstone is incredible. I went in July, so no weather issues. Was low to mid 90s with insanely low dew points, and mid 40s at night. I stayed at a ranch in Montana, not far from the park entrance. Love to go back in winter.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Good luck. Not much elevation anywhere in the state- around 800 ft in the NW corner is the highest I think. But finding a location further north and away from the coast will put you in a better spot for most events in winter.

Even a few hundred feet can help a lot, and of course the ocean is the biggest factor. The northern and NW parts of the state get the classic New England winters, while PVD and the coast are milder.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Not good lol ...Back to the drawing board for me . I didn't use the 2nd place horse #10 ( Everfast) at all in any of my bets so that killed me . But if you were lucky enough to hit even just the trifecta you're basking in the sun somewhere sipping on margaritas or PBR's counting your money . Wow... what a monster payoff. You have any luck ?

I had great luck. I drank just enough to know that I shouldn’t bet!

• Haha 1

Just got back yesterday from Corolla Light N.C.  We spotted this from the rental house overlooking Currituck Sound on Tuesday morning.  It was rotating and seemed to be reaching the water but soon dissipated.  There were no watches or warnings out.  I reported it to the NWS since I became a spotter at the Georgetown DE training held there by the NWS on May 4.  It has been a busy time for me with severe this year with the EF2 that went by my place near Laurel by about 3 blocks.  THAT was scary.

83E23C7A-F21F-4F76-B91D-1929C8E0D1CC.thumb.jpeg.b8fcc355de2e55989c4a4fd0afd89ad7.jpeg

• Like 5

5 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Yeah, I’m still up that way, just on vacation. It’d be great to meet up when you’re settled.

On vacation! 

Hey! I’m actually doing my road trip vacation now! Just leaving Voyageurs in MN and should be passing through those parks on the way back. Yellowstone might be a mess due to wx in a few days...

Sounds awesome! Yeah, son texted me about two hours ago, they back under a WSW......

Weather is very unsettled out that way, it snowed and sleeted on us several times while in the parks. Bryce was cool, lots of beautiful things to look at. Zion was just awesome. Capitol Reef is small, but still neat. Did Yellowstone and Tetons 4 years ago, it was in early June and warm, but still a little snow on the highest points. Enjoy and be safe out there!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, wxdude64 said:

Sounds awesome! Yeah, son texted me about two hours ago, they back under a WSW......

Weather is very unsettled out that way, it snowed and sleeted on us several times while in the parks. Bryce was cool, lots of beautiful things to look at. Zion was just awesome. Capitol Reef is small, but still neat. Did Yellowstone and Tetons 4 years ago, it was in early June and warm, but still a little snow on the highest points. Enjoy and be safe out there!

Was a teenager when I visited Zion. Probably one of the prettiest sites I have ever been to. Been meaning to go back at some point but have never made the time.

5 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

Was a teenager when I visited Zion. Probably one of the prettiest sites I have ever been to. Been meaning to go back at some point but have never made the time.

Son took a pic of me coming back down from Angels Landing in Zion, those chains are needed!!

image.thumb.jpeg.dfef82db24816c7cb2e67fc00dbe24bb.jpeg

• Like 4

13 hours ago, SlowerLowerDE said:

Just got back yesterday from Corolla Light N.C.  We spotted this from the rental house overlooking Currituck Sound on Tuesday morning.  It was rotating and seemed to be reaching the water but soon dissipated.  There were no watches or warnings out.  I reported it to the NWS since I became a spotter at the Georgetown DE training held there by the NWS on May 4.  It has been a busy time for me with severe this year with the EF2 that went by my place near Laurel by about 3 blocks.  THAT was scary.

83E23C7A-F21F-4F76-B91D-1929C8E0D1CC.thumb.jpeg.b8fcc355de2e55989c4a4fd0afd89ad7.jpeg

My house is on the sound straight across between Carova and Corolla. Tuesday was move-in day to our house and we were outside all day. I have a view clear across from my house of the sound and didn't see it. Storms dance around us all day. We got a brief shower later in the day but that was it. Good picture.

2 hours ago, Stormpc said:

My house is on the sound straight across between Carova and Corolla. Tuesday was move-in day to our house and we were outside all day. I have a view clear across from my house of the sound and didn't see it. Storms dance around us all day. We got a brief shower later in the day but that was it. Good picture.

The sighting was at 8:20 am.  I just love the sound.  We had a great time.  You are fortunate!

Not a day to go hiking in the Wichita Mountains in SW Oklahoma. But on non PDS-days, it's really one of the underrated parks in the nation. Not to mention the bison herds. Discovered it when driving cross-country with my wife (at that time GF) years ago (my best trip ever, that's when we knew we should commit to each other.) Coming south out of OKC, they just loom up like the spine of some giant prehistoric creature. I try to go visit it whenever I'm out that way, which isn't often. Just thinking about what a jewel in the rough this place is, while following this potentially high-impact day out in TX/OK. The Wichitas are smack in the middle. I thought I might have read something about how they influence storm formation a while ago.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Spent a little time in western ND today. Gorgeous day. 

w4uJT35.jpg

hm2woWZ.jpg

Cool!

I think that is what we are gonna do next year, ND/SD and NE Wyoming. Son sent me pic of about 4 inches of snow on his car earlier, it is his day off and he went up to A-Basin and boarded most of the day lol.

• Like 1

Well, today was interesting. My younger brother found these forums and also my account (he's also very interested in weather like I am and is 16). Might take him out for a little backyard chase this Summer if we get any severe

In case you're wondering, he recognized me through my profile picture lol.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, midatlanticweather said:

How do I get a scout troop to see a weather balloon launch? 

12 hours ago, yoda said:

@MN Transplant might know.... I dont think we have any LWX mets on here... if we do, they don't post much... or you could email or call LWX?

Contacting LWX is the best route.  I have no idea if they actually allow this, but it is worth a try.  

The other long shot that I could think of is that UMBC has an atmospheric physics Department and they specialize in remote sensing.  They might launch occasionally as validation for their instruments.

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic