• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2019 Discussion

MNstorms

Today is a candidate for worst weather day of the month... 50º, rain, wind gusting to 40 mph.

I thought we had turned the corner a week or two ago, but maybe this time it'll be true.  Today's euro has us reaching at least 70º every day for the next ten days, with a few 80s mixed in.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Today is a candidate for worst weather day of the month... 50º, rain, wind gusting to 40 mph.
I thought we had turned the corner a week or two ago, but maybe this time it'll be true.  Today's euro has us reaching at least 70º every day for the next ten days, with a few 80s mixed in.

Lots of days in contention for “worst day of the month” this month
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Aaaaand the days start getting shorter in less than a month lol.  Our 91 from awhile back almost seems like it never happened.

Picked up 0.09" of rain early this morning.  

• Sad 2

So far we have failed to even reach 60 degrees today, in fact at noon on my lunch break it was 52 and very windy. 

With off and on rain chances literally everyday this week, we could be looking at anywhere from 1-3” of rain. Local met posted the graphic below, citing great concern for planting across the area. I’m really wondering what this summer has in store. This spring has reminded me a lot of 2013.

E12FFFDF-E932-46D7-BABB-A7BC7404B590.jpeg

18 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Aaaaand the days start getting shorter in less than a month lol.  Our 91 from awhile back almost seems like it never happened.

Picked up 0.09" of rain early this morning.  

Thank God for lag time between max daylight and temp averages.

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

Wake low?

Not really sure.  I figured those were usually associated with mature severe MCS.  This was just a band of weak elevated convection.  These were stronger than any winds I've seen with a wake low.  The high winds come in waves as well.  There would be 5 to 10 mins of lighter winds, and then several minutes of very strong gusts.  Would like to see DVN chime in with a writeup on what caused this.

11 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Decent pressure bounces at MLI.  Notice the dip from 10:30-10:35 pm.

https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/zoa/getobext.php?sid=KMLI

Interesting.  Looks like it was a wake low.  MLI and DVN gusted to 58mph, Dubuque gusted to 59mph, and across the river from us at Clinton they hit 60mph.

Saw the same pressure fluctuation here on my station.  Interestingly, the pressure quickly rose as the precip began around 9:30pm, and then started to quickly fall about a half hour later after the heaviest part of the convection went through.  The pressure continued to slowly fall as the light anvil rain fell, and then the pressure very quickly jumped.  During that quick pressure jump is when the high winds hit on the very back side of the rain.

i4r5gy.jpg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Interesting.  Looks like it was a wake low.  MLI and DVN gusted to 58mph, Dubuque gusted to 59mph, and across the river from us at Clinton they hit 60mph.

Saw the same pressure fluctuation here on my station.  Interestingly, the pressure quickly rose as the precip began around 9:30pm, and then started to quickly fall about a half hour later after the heaviest part of the convection went through.  The pressure continued to slowly fall as the light anvil rain fell, and then the pressure very quickly jumped.  During that quick pressure jump is when the high winds hit on the very back side of the rain.

I'm about 250 miles north of you and I observed the same phenomenon (well I wish, I actually soundly slept through the whole thing).  KSTE officially gusted to 46 mph, nearby COOP gusted to 53 mph around 2:40 AM.  Based upon my AFD this morning this was very widespread and amazingly did not involve convective processes.

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Green Bay WI
640 AM CDT Wed May 22 2019

Updated aviation portion for 12Z TAF issuance

.SHORT TERM...Today...Tonight...and Thursday
Issued at 426 AM CDT Wed May 22 2019

A very rare phenomenon took place early this morning between 230
am and 430 am over central and northcentral Wisconsin when
evaporatively cooled air on the western edge of a band of rain
brought down strong winds that were a few thousand feet above the
ground. This sometimes happens on the back edge of an organized
mesoscale convective complex, but there were no thunderstorms at
all this morning. Wind gusts to over 50 mph brought down many
trees and power lines.

15 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Strange goings on here.  Getting 50-60mph easterly winds on the back side of these rain showers lol.  High wind warning out.  

I was driving through that on my way back from my lovely (sarcasm) Oklahoma chase on Monday. Did wonders for my fuel economy I'm sure and almost pushed me off the road several times. Couldn't stay out there for today and tomorrow due to having to be back at work starting 3 AM tomorrow morning.

Spring is here and the green-up is starting.  Gonna be gorgeous this weekend for the first big summer camping holiday.  There's such a great feeling this time of the year!  Season of lake breezes/shadows, sunny days, cool nights.  Medicine for the soul :)

MQT:

ample WAA on Saturday looks to
usher in highs well into the 70s for most locations, perhaps even
cresting over the 80 degree mark in the south-central (Iron Mountain
area). This would mean the Marquette area may finally break the
record streak of not seeing 70 degrees, putting tomorrow at 249
days. Some warmth looks to continue into Sunday, with widespread 60s
into the lower 70s, then tapering back off next week.

ndfd_t2m_hi_michigan_3.thumb.png.a23c7af244393386c6ddd6a45ff479bc.png

• Like 1

On 5/20/2019 at 10:41 AM, beavis1729 said:

:huh: The first day of the arctic outbreak (Jan 30th) was purely advection-driven, given the strong winds and CAA.  In that situation, UHI doesn't matter as much.  ORD hit -23, and most areas in N IL were similar.  And RFD was actually colder, at -25.  So, no cold bias there.

On the second day (Jan 31st), ORD ended up being much warmer than you'd expect, not colder.  Definitely not a cold bias.  ORD only hit -21, whereas many areas of N IL were -25 to -30.  RFD hit -31, and MLI -33...and Mt. Carroll set a new all-time IL record low at -38.  MBY was -27.  The details were discussed extensively in the arctic outbreak thread.

DTW almost ALWAYS runs warm compared to surrounding areas. Always. Its not that there is anything wrong with the sensor, its probably the location and amount of pavement nearby thats affecting it vs the placement it was in the 1970s and 1980s. Its still relatively rural in the vicinity of the airport itself, so while UHI is somewhat of a factor i doubt its the main force. Especially comparing the difference of other stations that also have a period of record. The temp sensor in my car often reads colder than the official in the morning when i drive by on the way to work (southside of the airport).

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

DTW almost ALWAYS runs warm compared to surrounding areas. Always. Its not that there is anything wrong with the sensor, its probably the location and amount of pavement nearby thats affecting it vs the placement it was in the 1970s and 1980s. Its still relatively rural in the vicinity of the airport itself, so while UHI is somewhat of a factor i doubt its the main force. Especially comparing the difference of other stations that also have a period of record. The temp sensor in my car often reads colder than the official in the morning when i drive by on the way to work (southside of the airport).

Have to factor in further south and/or further away from the water than DET/MTC/PTK. Also that area on the southside of the airport is in a bit of a depression, part of the reason why it frequently floods there in heavy rain events. Car sensors aren't the best read either as they aren't at 2m above the surface like the temperature sensor on ASOS, which being closer to the ground in radiation situations you'd find colder temperatures.

5 hours ago, Stebo said:

Have to factor in further south and/or further away from the water than DET/MTC/PTK. Also that area on the southside of the airport is in a bit of a depression, part of the reason why it frequently floods there in heavy rain events. Car sensors aren't the best read either as they aren't at 2m above the surface like the temperature sensor on ASOS, which being closer to the ground in radiation situations you'd find colder temperatures.

Oh I would never count a car sensor as an official temperature, I just commented because usually the car sensor runs warmer than actual temp (especially with sun). And again I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the DTW sensor, obviously being a first order station it's monitored frequently for quality. I'm just noting that when comparing surrounding areas N,S,E,W, from Monroe and Ann Arbor to the already mentioned Detroit City or Pontiac, the temperature disparity between them and DTW is much different now than it was in the 1970s and 1980s.