Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2019 Discussion

MNstorms

2 hours ago, Chambana said:

88 degrees and absolutely gorgeous outside! Making A1 burgers and beer brats on the grill tonight. Having a cookout for my 30th birthday (birthday is next week) drinking some delicious NE IPA’s, hope to get a good storm tonight. 

Happy early birthday.  I'll be 30 this year too!  Your post makes me a little envious.  It sounds like a perfect day.

38 with rain all day... 1.2" so far with another 2-3 inches in the forecast through tomorrow night. NAM is still insisting on enough cold air tomorrow afternoon for a changeover to snow.  Wet and cool pattern looks to stick around up here.

6 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Happy early birthday.  I'll be 30 this year too!  Your post makes me a little envious.  It sounds like a perfect day.

38 with rain all day... 1.2" so far with another 2-3 inches in the forecast through tomorrow night. NAM is still insisting on enough cold air tomorrow afternoon for a changeover to snow.  Wet and cool pattern looks to stick around up here.

Yeah, agree that a bit of snow looks possible for you tomorrow! Have you ever had flakes in the air as late as May 19th?

Parts of SW ND actually saw 2-4” of snow today and were under a WWA...crazy. 

37 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

Yeah, agree that a bit of snow looks possible for you tomorrow! Have you ever had flakes in the air as late as May 19th?

May 14th 2015 there were a couple inches that fell and in 2014 on the 15th and 16th of May, several inches fell, but if I see any accumulating snow tomorrow afternoon and evening, it will be the latest I can ever remember.

1 hour ago, weatherbo said:

I guess 1989 introduced some awesome people in this world! Thanks man. It’s been an awesome day. Forgot to mention we also fried up a whole pound of morels too! Good eatins 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chambana said:

88 degrees and absolutely gorgeous outside! Making A1 burgers and beer brats on the grill tonight. Having a cookout for my 30th birthday (birthday is next week) drinking some delicious NE IPA’s, hope to get a good storm tonight. 

is your birthday on the 25th? If so that's mine and I'll be 29

6 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

Not sure about Chicago, but Detroit saw scattered snow flurries on May 19, 2002.  Needless to say it was the latest I have personally ever seen snow fall,  Although more recently and probably more impressive were snow showers on May 15, 2016. Only a trace fell, however it was legit snow squalls unlike May 19, 2002 which were just a few flurries. Latest on record was May 31, 1910.

Cedar Rapids was in the prime spot this evening as the main wave lifted north through the region.  I received 1.99" of rain this evening, making my daily total 2.16".  Over the last couple days I've received 3.05".  There is potential for more rounds of heavy rain next week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

Just picked up 0.46" from a garden variety storm.  Most of that fell in about 5 minutes, as the rain was pretty torrential.  Now over 4" for May.

Farmers around here are about ready to say screw corn and soybeans, and just plant rice instead.

Has any planting been completed up there? The latest outlook for your area does not look good for the next 7-10 days. It’s starting to get concerning here, while they were able to get some planting done the last 48 hours, things are once again put on hold. I would say locally maybe 20% has been completed.

14 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Not sure about Chicago, but Detroit saw scattered snow flurries on May 19, 2002.  Needless to say it was the latest I have personally ever seen snow fall,  Although more recently and probably more impressive were snow showers on May 15, 2016. Only a trace fell, however it was legit snow squalls unlike May 19, 2002 which were just a few flurries. Latest on record was May 31, 1910.

And there's video and photo evidence of the 2016 instance, when WJBK was live at the Eastern Market for Flower Day. :lmao:

2 hours ago, Chambana said:

Has any planting been completed up there? The latest outlook for your area does not look good for the next 7-10 days. It’s starting to get concerning here, while they were able to get some planting done the last 48 hours, things are once again put on hold. I would say locally maybe 20% has been completed.

Most of the fields have yet to be planted.  So far there's only one field I know of where it's been planted, and the corn is up a few inches.  A lot of the low-lying fields are still filled with pools of water in their low areas.  

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

Most of the fields have yet to be planted.  So far there's only one field I know of where it's been planted, and the corn is up a few inches.  A lot of the low-lying fields are still filled with pools of water in their low areas.  

They need to get going on the corn... would be a shame to cut into the 80 degree dew days. :tomato: 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, NegativeEPO said:

74 at ORD today, 78 at PWK

sure, whatever.

Agree that PWK seems to have a warm bias. You’ll see this on low temps too, in addition to highs.

It’s as if the jet exhaust at Palwaukee Airport is hitting the thermometer. The UHI around there is bad, but not *that* bad...

8 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

Agree that PWK seems to have a warm bias. You’ll see this on low temps too, in addition to highs.

It’s as if the jet exhaust at Palwaukee Airport is hitting the thermometer. The UHI around there is bad, but not *that* bad...

I don't know. DPA hit 78 as well. I think there's something extremely wrong with the sensor at ORD. It was colder than literally every major reporting site in the area by a few degrees. Even UGN hit 76. What could be causing this severe cold bias? I noticed it during the late January cold blast too.

Another heavy rain event with 4.35" in two days... brings the monthly total here to 7.40"

Briefly sleeted hard enough yesterday afternoon to coat the ground white for a bit, mostly during heavier returns.  Along with the rain and sleet, the temps stayed in the mid-30's with w/c's in the low and mid 20's.  This was quite a storm for May. Also temps running -7.6 for the month, as well.  Average temp has been 41.  Not exactly my idea of an ideal spring.  It has postponed bug season a little.  Not even any mosquito's yet.  Heck, even snow in places still.

North edge of my property along the road this morning

IMG_1909.JPG.38fc766309b000a0d2a9e366a29b0d97.JPG

IMG_1904.JPG.1df578281e00625e8401c29a05973af9.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NegativeEPO said:

I don't know. DPA hit 78 as well. I think there's something extremely wrong with the sensor at ORD. It was colder than literally every major reporting site in the area by a few degrees. Even UGN hit 76. What could be causing this severe cold bias? I noticed it during the late January cold blast too.

Well it did hit 80F on Saturday, even with midday showers/storms so maybe it is an occasional cold bias.

3 hours ago, NegativeEPO said:

:huh: The first day of the arctic outbreak (Jan 30th) was purely advection-driven, given the strong winds and CAA.  In that situation, UHI doesn't matter as much.  ORD hit -23, and most areas in N IL were similar.  And RFD was actually colder, at -25.  So, no cold bias there.

On the second day (Jan 31st), ORD ended up being much warmer than you'd expect, not colder.  Definitely not a cold bias.  ORD only hit -21, whereas many areas of N IL were -25 to -30.  RFD hit -31, and MLI -33...and Mt. Carroll set a new all-time IL record low at -38.  MBY was -27.  The details were discussed extensively in the arctic outbreak thread.

2 hours ago, wisconsinwx said:

Well it did hit 80F on Saturday, even with midday showers/storms so maybe it is an occasional cold bias.

Saturday had a lot of changing/variable sky conditions over N IL and S WI...so it's understandable that temps over the region weren't as uniform as usual.  MBY only hit 73, as we only had a few small breaks of sun during the afternoon.

1 hour ago, beavis1729 said:

:huh: The first day of the arctic outbreak (Jan 30th) was purely advection-driven, given the strong winds and CAA.  In that situation, UHI doesn't matter as much.  ORD hit -23, and most areas in N IL were similar.  And RFD was actually colder, at -25.  So, no cold bias there.

On the second day (Jan 31st), ORD ended up being much warmer than you'd expect, not colder.  Definitely not a cold bias.  ORD only hit -21, whereas many areas of N IL were -25 to -30.  RFD hit -31, and MLI -33...and Mt. Carroll set a new all-time IL record low at -38.  MBY was -27.  The details were discussed extensively in the arctic outbreak thread.

I do recall ORD running on the cold side during the daytime on 1/30 (have to actually look at hourlies since the high occurred at midnight).  Maybe that is what he is referring to.