• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2019 Discussion

MNstorms

Just realized that the temps on May 3rd were the first below average daily temps in May since 2017 for some locations in IL (Lincoln and Springfield at least) as last May had 0 days below average. :blink:

Yesterday was super nice, but it's back to cool/cloudy yet again today. Normally I'd complain about this kind of weather, but the constant rain and lack of hot/sunny stretches has led to an unbelievably awesome morel mushroom season. I've picked so many I'm giving them away to friends/family because I cannot possibly eat them all.

11 hours ago, Chambana said:

Topped out at 85 yesterday, felt absolutely amazing and was the warmest reading of the year so far.

This spring has sorta had shades of 2013. 

It never ceases to amaze me how the lake consistently blocks those warm fronts around I-80. Ends up being a different weather world south of I-80 than it is for us up north. 

24 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

It never ceases to amaze me how the lake consistently blocks those warm fronts around I-80. Ends up being a different weather world south of I-80 than it is for us up north. 

Has nothing to do with the lake.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Miserable day to be sure.  Hopefully we can get cape to exceed 500J/kg at some point before July.  :cry:

I know makes you wonder.  This pattern has been miserable.  I tolerate winter to look forward to severe weather season and now I’m just getting cranky and want a massive heat ridge to just put it to bed for the year and use the pool.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Minnesota_storms said:

90+ in a week? After some places just got snow.

gfs_T2m_ncus_32.thumb.png.28e0430deeb2952212ddc9a9f781be14.png

Like literally EVERY advertised medium/long range warm-up this Spring, it will become muted significantly. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see a warm-up at all.

5 hours ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Why has this spring been such trash? I thought it would be better since we didn't have the awful late winter SSWE. Is it all down to the -NAO?

I believe that is playing a big role.  Negative NAO was hard to come by during winter but it has been negative more often than not for the past month or so.

It’s been a miserable day, temp has hovered at 51 degrees, with steady rain. Fun fact, Champaign has not gone more than 5 days straight without any measurable precipitation since March 1st. 

A little something that has gone under the radar, farming is extremely behind schedule at this point. Virtually every field is still untouched from last harvest. 

• Sad 1

Things could change during the May 18-26 period with expected trough in the west leading to repeated bouts of svr in the plains and by extension the Midwest.  In fact there is a comment in the Central forum that some usually conservative mets are thinking that if everything comes together correctly we could be looking at a period similar to May 2003 and May 2008.  Light rain and 50 here now.

• Like 1

Honestly, I would take last spring over this spring. Sure, last April was awful, but at least the cold was pretty much done by April 20. Also had a very nice May last year too. This year, it's been non-stop cold, dreary weather. And it looks to continue that way for the foreseeable future.

46 minutes ago, NegativeEPO said:

Honestly, I would take last spring over this spring. Sure, last April was awful, but at least the cold was pretty much done by April 20. Also had a very nice May last year too. This year, it's been non-stop cold, dreary weather. And it looks to continue that way for the foreseeable future.

Good palm killing weather.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, NegativeEPO said:

Sorry about your luck-

HUNTINGTON-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF HUNTINGTON AND ROANOKE
642 AM EDT SUN MAY 12 2019
.THURSDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 70S. 
.FRIDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 70S. 
.SATURDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 70S. 

IWX morning disco...

"MUCH MORE SUBSTANTIAL WARMUP POSSIBLE BY NEXT WEEKEND WITH SEVERAL GUIDANCE SOURCES PUSHING HIGHS WELL INTO THE MID 80S...EVEN TOUCHING UPPER 80S IN SOME SPOTS."