Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May 2019 General Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

20 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

That would be horrible. That would mean we are in a drought and it would be ridiculously hot. No thanks. 

well hot is fine as long as it's not humid.  It's the humidity that makes people sick.  I cant stand how awful April and the first half of May was.  The sun makes people happy so there should be more of that :P and low humidity actually lowers pollution levels.

I dont mean get literally no rain, I mean I want us to get back to our regular climate norms, what we had back in the 80s, scattered showers and tstorms occasionally not all day rains and high humidity and awful cloud cover for days on end.  I dont mind around 2-3 inches of rain per month for the summer months, nothing more than that.  And this isn't the southwest, our "droughts" aren't that significant.

The SE Ridge would have completely dominated the pattern if it wasn’t for the near record May Greenland block. Instead, we will probably finish May with 3 short warm ups. The Newark 89 on the 20th...first possible 90 tomorrow..Some more warmth around the 30th.

16725E05-0DE5-440E-B337-FA62E5B6157E.gif.4eae4ca471474cfe9632e48e9d3a3bc5.gif

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The SE Ridge would have completely dominated the pattern if it wasn’t for the near record May Greenland block. Instead, we will probably finish May with 3 short warm ups. The Newark 89 on the 20th...first possible 90 tomorrow...Maybe the warmest day of the month on the 30th. 

16725E05-0DE5-440E-B337-FA62E5B6157E.gif.4eae4ca471474cfe9632e48e9d3a3bc5.gif

We won't be lucky for long. I've heard through the grapevine that the Greenland Block will start to fall apart through June. 

Last 6 days of May are averaging 72degs., or 5degs. AN.

Month to date is  -0.8[60.7]     May should end at +0.6[63.0].

But 'Stratospheric Warming' now over lower latitudes too may weaken the SE Ridge to make it "even Steven" with Greenland Block weakening.

61.5* here at 5am,  62.5* at 6am, 64.2* at 7am,.   68.7* by 9am.  71.2*  by 10am.  73* at 11am.  76.0*  at Noon.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IntenseBlizzard2014 said:

We won't be lucky for long. I've heard through the grapevine that the Greenland Block will start to fall apart through June. 

The Greenland block fades in early June just like the SE Ridge. This would fit with the summer pattern since 2015 of July and August having a warmer temperature departure than June.

C48494B1-D19F-4D1D-B9A6-042875357212.thumb.png.53c104e68a3a5f292fcbb7793ab8ffd8.png

• Like 2

Strong heating ahead of the convective remnants in western PA should allow at least scattered thunderstorms to develop into the metro after 4PM. 12Z 3K NAM and RGEM, while not perfect, have the best handle on this activity and bring precip in after ~5PM. Mid- and low-level lapse rates may allow for a few wind gusts 40KT+ (isolated severe) during the late afternoon/early evening. Given the ~westerly flow, it's not unreasonable to expect these to persist into parts of LI as well. 

Also wondering if JFK sees its first 70F dewpoint of the year. Water temps are probably a bit too cool, but there is already some localized moisture pooling occuring there (66F Td vs 61F at LGA).

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, NYCweatherNOW said:

87 in midtown perfect weather. Going to a bbq and a pool party in mahopac in one hour. Gonna enjoy it

Heheh I'm on B'way between 78-79 and you're headed to my town.

What time are we thinking this afternoons rain will get to the city? We have a bun h of stuff out here at the street fair we have a booth at.