Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May 2019 General Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

9 hours ago, weatherpruf said:

Speaking of weeds, the cold hasn't bothered the knotweed, the invasive plant from  Japan, which makes kudzu look quaint.....it nearly took over the Bronx River area. In the UK they won't even issue you a mortgage if the stuff is found in your yard. Have you seen it? You bet. Go down to any local stream, you'll see the banks covered with it. The roots can be the extent of a football field; they can grow up through foundations. Like something outta Dr. Who....

Being in the industry I can attest to that. I have seen it grow up through parking lots. I once did a consultation at a gorgeous home in sea cliff right on the sound where a previous owner had planted it to stabilize the bluff. I had to tell them the back yard was shot and there was nothing we could do other the put down steel barriers to stop it from spreading further. It’s worse then bamboo. 

Finally a sunny day.  Cutting 2 acres of lawn on campus today.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Being in the industry I can attest to that. I have seen it grow up through parking lots. I once did a consultation at a gorgeous home in sea cliff right on the sound where a previous owner had planted it to stabilize the bluff. I had to tell them the back yard was shot and there was nothing we could do other the put down steel barriers to stop it from spreading further. It’s worse then bamboo. 

Finally a sunny day.  Cutting 2 acres of lawn on campus today.

If you are at the beach with sandy soil or pure sand, It is one of the few plants that will grow.

It grows to a good height...And when used properly, it protects non-beach plants plant in front of it by acting as a wind break.

Wind kills more landscaping at the beach than salt or sand does. Wind does not kill this plant. That is key to it acting like a barrier to the elements.

If you are trying to create a dune or stabilize a cliff...it does that well too.

Beyond that, yes, it is a weed that wants to spread and attracts a ton of bees during its bloom period (which is short).

Privet, Olive and Cypress all do well in the sand...but if you are open to the water...You better have a wall in front of them or this plant...if not the wind will kill the side of the plant facing the water

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, bluewave said:

This has to be the most well defined backdoor pattern that we have seen in the month of May.

27434EE7-BD1E-4115-913D-DEF7B1C0E50E.png.2dc3947583b8ad2d8c1638ec340c5da6.png

I'd be curious to see a soil moisture map to see if there's a correlation. Anecdotally I'm pretty sure there is based on where the mt bike trails are in good shape and where they aren't.

10 hours ago, 495weatherguy said:

Excellent graphic---really affirms my belief.  

10 hours ago, gravitylover said:

I'd be curious to see a soil moisture map to see if there's a correlation. Anecdotally I'm pretty sure there is based on where the mt bike trails are in good shape and where they aren't.

It’s this extreme pressure pattern. A strong Greenland block and 50/50 vs the flatter SE Ridge. The fire hose Pacific Jet will give the SE Ridge a boost over the next week to 10 days. We will  continue to be near the boundary. But  the SE Ridge will get strong enough to send several warm surges north.

57EDCEEA-57C7-4B2E-AEAB-F4CA604D438E.gif.57c8c3bafcc0beda85a7e2464061eba6.gif

E7BDAF9A-F58B-4400-952C-D8EFAC99DA89.thumb.png.58737ca04d88d4c71af6c038b9705709.png

0C884D6C-40A8-40F3-9254-6598F8D4D251.thumb.png.16bd6cd883b2e342b3109462f4c97935.png

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Carnage up in these parts a year ago today. Touchdowns, microbursts, baseball-sized hail... unforgettable day and the effects are still being felt by many homeowners.

180515_rpts.gif

Yep, a day that I will never forget.  The feeling of coming home to that is something that I'd rather not have to live through again.

91FA71B9-7892-491A-92CA-3C114AF1836E.png

• Like 1

Keep an eye out for Sunday for some severe.  18Z GFSeses showing what looks like partially-turned-over EML air overhead, more pronounced on the parallel than the old GFS but its there in both.  Either way, lapse rates unusually good for our neck of the woods.  Backed surface winds and LOTS of CAPE.  Not sure it would be surface based near the coast but inland the pattern looks like some of the analogs for Northeast severe.