• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
May 2019 General Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

Folks I usually only pop in during winter here, which is appropo as it might as well be winter.....I can't remember so much cold in May as we've had the last few years. Decades ago I could have most of my garden going by now, but the last few years? If you plant summer crops ( Mother's Day was traditionally the safe time ) they are going to die or be in such shock they won't fully recover. Plus, all the rain is disgusting. Question, are these the climactic conditions we needed in winter? Canceled a fishing trip this weekend.....brrrr...

23 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Folks I usually only pop in during winter here, which is appropo as it might as well be winter.....I can't remember so much cold in May as we've had the last few years. Decades ago I could have most of my garden going by now, but the last few years? If you plant summer crops ( Mother's Day was traditionally the safe time ) they are going to die or be in such shock they won't fully recover. Plus, all the rain is disgusting. Question, are these the climactic conditions we needed in winter? Canceled a fishing trip this weekend.....brrrr...

I lost two cucumber plants so far. Other plants like eggplant are in shock. Tomatoes which are so strong they are basically weeds are static. We’ll see what’s alive by Wednesday 

1 hour ago, weatherpruf said:

If the Gfs is correct we'll all be seeing a heat wave by the weekend. I'm stunned by how hot the 0z Gfs is.

Next 8 days are averaging 65degs., or about 2degs. AN.

Month to date is  -1.9[57.9].    Should be  -0.4[60.6]by the 22nd.

Was 46.4* at 6am.

The difference between EURO/GFS high T's must be a record >>> 70 versus 95 during 5/19-5/23.

Next week does show us reverting back to this week's pattern but I would be very cautious with this. As we enter late May and early June warmth will build quickly. It happens every year on long island. I expect to see models start backing down with this pattern, and the cooldowns become more brief.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yesterday was the first record low max in NYC during the spring of the 2010’s. But there have been 23 record warm minimums in NYC since 2010. So people really notice the cold when the norm has been record spring warmth.

5/13 48 in 2019 49 in 1914 50 in 1931

7E273C95-0D6C-498E-8B80-86A7641D31E8.png.3675a2d821c0ec7c17bfd052dac43dac.png

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, tek1972 said:

Next week does show us reverting back to this week's pattern but I would be very cautious with this. As we enter late May and early June warmth will build quickly. It happens every year on long island. I expect to see models start backing down with this pattern, and the cooldowns become more brief.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Maybe but the blocking isn't breaking down anytime soon.

• Haha 1

We really need to dry out. I swear to God the first person to mention drought when we have our first 7 day dry spell should be put in timeout. This pattern just reminds me why spring is the worst season. Gray, damp, and allergies. People always look at me like I’m nuts but I love winter and summer. Even this winter had more hours of sunshine I feel than this spring. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

We really need to dry out. I swear to God the first person to mention drought when we have our first 7 day dry spell should be put in timeout. This pattern just reminds me why spring is the worst season. Gray, damp, and allergies. People always look at me like I’m nuts but I love winter and summer. Even this winter had more hours of sunshine I feel than this spring. 

This.  I luv winter, summer and even fall.  #springsucks.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Epic battle coming up between the raging Pacific Jet and lingering -NAO. The EPS keeps the frontal boundary nearby on the 0z run So it didn’t have the stronger push of warmth that the earlier runs did. Here are the high temperatures on the Euro from NYC from Saturday through next Thursday. Continuation of the muted high temperature potential for spring if this verifies. We may have to get to within the NAMs best range in order to know where the warm front/backdoor boundary is located each day. Remember the GFS struggles with these boundaries so the Euro and NAM usually do better.

Sat...67

Sun..67

Mon..67

Tue...72

Wed...62

Thr...65

Average high temps will soon be into the mid 70's....Another  day with precip, 0.04" since midnight.

4 minutes ago, doncat said:

Average high temps will soon be into the mid 70's....Another  day with precip, 0.04" since midnight.

First time since 1997 that Newark didn’t get above 80 degrees by May 15th. This is the 5th lowest spring maximum temperature by May 15th.

Time Series Summary for NEWARK LIBERTY INTL AP, NJ
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Rank
Ending Date
Highest Max Temperature Mar 1 to May 15
Missing Count
1 1931-05-15 75 0
2 1997-05-15 77 0
3 1984-05-15 78 0
4 1975-05-15 79 0
- 1968-05-15 79 0
- 1932-05-15 79 0
5 2019-05-15 80 2
- 1981-05-15 80 0
- 1946-05-15 80 0

34 minutes ago, doncat said:

Out of the last 21 days, only one had 0 precip...Two had a trace.... 18 had measurable.

Record breaking 33 days at ISP 4/1-5/13 with measurable rain. This ties the Seattle record over the same period.

Time Series Summary for ISLIP-LI MACARTHUR AP, NY
Rank
Ending Date
Number of Days Precipitation >= .01 Apr 1 to May 13
Missing Count
1 2019-05-13 33 0
2 1989-05-13 22 0
3 2004-05-13 21 0
- 1998-05-13 21 0
- 1996-05-13 21 0
4 2009-05-13 20 0
- 2000-05-13 20 0
- 1987-05-13 20 0

Time Series Summary for Seattle Area, WA (ThreadEx)
Rank
Ending Date
Number of Days Precipitation >= .01 Apr 1 to May 13
Missing Count
1 1993-05-13 33 0
2 2017-05-13 32 0
- 1896-05-13 32 0
3 1940-05-13 30 0
4 1948-05-13 29 0

7 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Interesting, the radar says what rain?

You're right with the radar.  With NJ being out it is hard to make out what is what.  I went on to Philadelphia NBC 10 radar and a little swath moved through here (North of the "N" in New Brunswick).

Capture.PNG

13 hours ago, weatherpruf said:

I planted the tomatoes and all other summer crops on May 4th and they look fine. This cool cloudy weather slows down their growth dramatically, but it doesn't kill or harm them since there's no frost. The summer crops will just be delayed a little bit. On the other hand this cool/wet weather is absolutely great for the cool weather crops that I planted in late March. I'm getting the biggest lettuce crop I've ever gotten and the broccoli plants look great.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, winterwx21 said:

I planted the tomatoes and all other summer crops on May 4th and they look fine. This cool cloudy weather slows down their growth dramatically, but it doesn't kill or harm them since there's no frost. The summer crops will just be delayed a little bit. On the other hand this cool/wet weather is absolutely great for the cool weather crops that I planted in late March. I'm getting the biggest lettuce crop I've ever gotten and the broccoli plants look great.

We are doing much better than Illinois.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kannbwx/status/1128297457606172672

#Corn planting progress as of May 12 in Illinois was the SLOWEST in records back to 1979. Here are the top 5 slowest years on May 12 in Illinois: 1) 2019 - 11% 2) 2009 - 13% 3) 2013 - 17% 4) 1993 - 20% 5) 1995 - 30% The 1979-2018 average for the date is 70%

23 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The Euro seasonal continues this general pattern into the summer. It would match with the new era of weather patterns getting stuck in place for extended periods. But these seasonal forecasts can often be a roll of the dice.

43B5531F-9502-4D8E-8618-0AB849DB9435.png.3a85b48e9a23e19955f74b59576c35ae.png

Yeah I was never on the extremely hot summer train for here. I do think there is a heat signal coming in the mid term though otherwise I think the rest of spring/summer will feature plenty of mid to upper 80's temps with very humid and sticky conditions along with above normal precipitation. I think 90 and above temps will be limited this year.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, bluewave said:

It looks like some of the seasonal guidance is just placing the coolest summer temperature departures over the areas of greatest soil moisture YTD. I would like to see what the pattern does following this big PAC Jet battle with the -NAO and deep 50/50 vortex. 

85055009-223B-4B2B-B31B-E3B61598895D.thumb.gif.3e261d6ed0164cd79d9b7af332cfce57.gif

Might have a 1996 kind of summer.

Your view on seasonal allergies- has the excessive rainfall the last two years lengthened the allergy season?  They were never this bad or this long in the early part of the decade- or ever before for that matter.

• Like 1