Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 27-28 Potentially Historic Super Late Season Winter Storm

Hoosier

Just now, NegativeEPO said:

Nothing impressive or historic about this one at all. Pretty lame storm overall. Kind of thankful, but also a bit disappointed at the same time.

Even with some underperformance, it is, relative to the calendar for northern IL.

Numbers aren't biased.

4 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

2.2" at RFD and 1.9" at ORD as of the top of the hour 

When ORD reaches 2", it will become the latest 2" calendar day snow on record and only the second 2" storm to occur so late in the season (May 1-2, 1940).

:thumbsup:

I will be the first to admit and defend my high standards for winter...but even I must say that today is incredible. Never in my life have I seen a true winter wonderland this late in the season. Currently 32 with twilight fading to darkness at 7:26 PM on April 27th and about 1.5” on grass and trees with moderate snow falling...and a dusting on pavement. Heck, the normal high in Fairbanks AK for today is 52.

It really is amazing. 

• Like 2

This is what I expected with the mid-month storm, and was shocked with 7.5”. Can’t really blame LOT for going aggressive this time after being caught with their pants down last storm. 

Im sitting with over 10” of April snow, in the last two weeks. That is more than all of December, which simply shows how awful of a month that was. 

Seems like the warm tongue kept a lot more of the precip as sleet imby as opposed to snow, this tanking the accumulation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NegativeEPO said:

Nothing impressive or historic about this one at all. Pretty lame storm overall. Kind of thankful, but also a bit disappointed at the same time.

As I said yesterday my feeling was LOT was going to get burned twice. April 14th storm blew up, and this one in which they bit didn't get the rates. Really just verifies that April snowstorms are virtually impossible to peg.  But to say, "nothing impressive" about this is incorrect. I have never seen a snow or a forecasted  snow amount of this magnitude in my lifetime this late in the season.That's 57 years.

• Like 4

Was bummed being out of town but happy to come home to power and a couple three inches only.  Was looking forward to catching up in this thread and seeing incredible shots from down south but it looks like Chicago couldn't overcome climo.  Dodged a bullet up here as conditions were primed to deliver something  even more epic than 2 weeks ago's 7"

Guessing just under 3". Late rally got us close. IF we had daytime rates like two weeks ago, things could have been a lot different.

It stayed snow all day after about 10 a.m. but we missed out on any sustained heavy stuff through most of the day and early evening.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Final total was 2.5" at ORD.

They are at 49.5" for the season.  Probably going to be the final number.  Or will it?

That makes it Chicago's heaviest snow on record so late in the season.  2nd place is May 1-2, 1940 (2.2").

Had about 3" here on cold metal surfaces, 2" on grass, and 1" on pavement.  At 10 PM Saturday night 4/27 with snow caked on all surfaces and tree branches, it truly looked like a winter wonderland.  By 6 AM the next morning, the snow on paved surfaces melted from below, despite temps around 28-30 overnight. By noon, all of the snow was gone.