Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 18, 19, 2019 Severe Event

DanLarsen34

1 minute ago, Snowacane said:

Damage in Hillsborough 

How are you faring in Chapel Hill?  Sounds like one was up by Weaver Dairy off of 40 and another up by 86.   I am down by Southpoint and it has been very quiet here so far, except for all the Tornado warnings on the phones and weather radio.

Just now, ander420 said:

How are you faring in Chapel Hill?  Sounds like one was up by Weaver Dairy off of 40 and another up by 86.   I am down by Southpoint and it has been very quiet here so far, except for all the Tornado warnings on the phones and weather radio.

I'm south of CH and nothing happened here so far. News is showing damage in Hillsborough near the hospital. 

JoCo

520 PM EDT FRI APR 19 2019

The National Weather Service in Raleigh has issued a

* Tornado Warning for...
  Southeastern Johnston County in central North Carolina...

* Until 545 PM EDT

* At 520 PM EDT, A tornado was reported near Smithfield, moving
  northeast at 55 mph.

HAZARD...Tornado.

SOURCE...Radar indicated rotation.

523 PM EDT FRI APR 19 2019

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 545 PM EDT FOR EAST
CENTRAL JOHNSTON COUNTY...

At 523 PM EDT, a confirmed tornado was located over Smithfield,
moving northeast at 55 mph.

HAZARD...Damaging tornado.

SOURCE...Radar confirmed tornado.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Araqiel said:

Isn’t there a couplet and TDS all the way from Spiveys Corner to the Smithfield warning polygon here? That started out as ‘a tornado was reported...’ but still radar-indicated too which seems odd.

https://imgtc.com/pTxDUOz

yeah it spun up quick....from the time I noticed the rotation starting to me being able to post it went from nothing to warned and OTG...

Never seen this before in a warning... ser the "source" line

Severe Weather Statement
National Weather Service Wakefield VA
654 PM EDT FRI APR 19 2019

NCC091-131-VAC081-175-192330-
/O.COR.KAKQ.TO.W.0024.000000T0000Z-190419T2330Z/
Northampton NC-Hertford NC-Greensville VA-Southampton VA-
654 PM EDT FRI APR 19 2019

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 730 PM EDT FOR
NORTHEASTERN NORTHAMPTON...NORTHWESTERN HERTFORD...SOUTHEASTERN
GREENSVILLE AND SOUTHWESTERN SOUTHAMPTON COUNTIES...

At 654 PM EDT, tornado producing storms were located along a line
extending from Claresville to near Conway, moving northeast at 55
mph.

HAZARD...Damaging tornado.

SOURCE...Radar confirmed tornado. Multiple Radar confirmed tornadoes
         are indicated on radar throughout the line. All persons in
         this warning should take shelter immediately!

IMPACT...Flying debris will be dangerous to those caught without
         shelter. Mobile homes will be damaged or destroyed. Damage
         to roofs, windows, and vehicles will occur.  Tree damage is
         likely.

These tornadic storms will be near...
  Green Plain around 700 PM EDT.
  Boykins around 705 PM EDT.
  Como around 710 PM EDT.
  Newsoms around 715 PM EDT.

Other locations impacted by these tornadic storms include Adams
Grove, Pendleton, Bryants Corner, Worrell, Severn, Margarettsville,
Branchville, Drewryville, Shiloh and Joyner.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

To repeat, a tornado is on the ground. TAKE COVER NOW! Move to a
basement or an interior room on the lowest floor of a sturdy
building. Avoid windows. If you are outdoors, in a mobile home, or in
a vehicle, move to the closest substantial shelter and protect
yourself from flying debris.

2 minutes ago, PackGrad05 said:

I don't really feel it was a bust, at all, for NC.  There was plenty of wind damage associated with the straight-line winds.  In addition, there were probably over 20 tornado warnings for central NC, some of which have verified on-the-ground tornadoes.  

Yeah no bust for NC, there was plenty of wind damage reports and they are still coming in, add to that a dozen or so at least tornados....I saw at least 6-7 TDS's confirmed tornados....pictures like this popping up all over the web.....this is Willow Springs NC luckily no one was in that room....

5B45E92C-874B-4B88-9607-424ED33492B7.jpeg.f76fa306c18146afcdbc70e65af327cf.jpeg

• Sad 1

WxSouth has turned to the darkside.  The event was definitely overhyped and a bust in that sense.  Sure there were tornadoes and wind damage but the event was supposed to encompass much more than just NC and even there it seemed it was progged to be worse than what was actual reality. 

3 minutes ago, LithiaWx said:

WxSouth has turned to the darkside.  The event was definitely overhyped and a bust in that sense.  Sure there were tornadoes and wind damage but the event was supposed to encompass much more than just NC and even there it seemed it was progged to be worse than what was actual reality. 

It's what we do now. Things that used to be just a bad weather day have become state of emergencies.  The news blares headlines about 80 million people being in the path of severe weather or a bomb cyclone is about to rake the nation.  I can't find a local TV news outlet where the anchor just gives the news instead of delivering a dramatic reading. There is no doubt we have magnitudes of  information above a generation ago. Too bad 90% of it is bullshit and hype.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PackGrad05 said:

I don't really feel it was a bust, at all, for NC.  There was plenty of wind damage associated with the straight-line winds.  In addition, there were probably over 20 tornado warnings for central NC, some of which have verified on-the-ground tornadoes.  

Agreed this lived up to the Moderate risk that the SPC forecasted, at least for NC.

25 minutes ago, jburns said:

It's what we do now. Things that used to be just a bad weather day have become state of emergencies.  The news blares headlines about 80 million people being in the path of severe weather or a bomb cyclone is about to rake the nation.  I can't find a local TV news outlet where the anchor just gives the news instead of delivering a dramatic reading. There is no doubt we have magnitudes of  information above a generation ago. Too bad 90% of it is bullshit and hype.

Leave it to teach to eloquently sum up what I was trying to convey. 

Here is the definition for moderate from SPC.  I'd say it fit the bill.

• 4-MDT (red) - Moderate risk - An area where widespread severe weather with several tornadoes and/or numerous severe thunderstorms is likely, some of which should be intense. This risk is usually reserved for days with several supercells producing intense tornadoes and/or very large hail, or an intense squall line with widespread damaging winds.

2 minutes ago, PackGrad05 said:

Here is the definition for moderate from SPC.  I'd say it fit the bill.

100% met the first part of that statement.  The second half is prefaced with (usually reserved for) probably can be debated if there were widespread damaging winds.  Didn’t see reports of intense tornadoes (I believe this is EF2+) but if there were widespread damaging winds then you don’t need that part.  Since it’s prefaced with (usually reserved for) probably don’t need the widespread damaging winds either.  

13 minutes ago, jburns said:

FYI, Reporting John Wow in a storm thread probably is a waste of time. Even more than once.

When someone has an opinion I don’t like my first reaction is to report them in hopes of censoring the voice.  I can’t just read and move on I must make sure I do everything possible to make sure nobody can see it.

Deep thoughts by Jack Handey