Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

6 hours ago, weathafella said:

HBO rocks.  

Also, I was wrong-winter wolf was right-they let idiots go to Everest.  I blame (mostly) the Nepali government for not regulating the traffic but seriously doesn’t anyone realize that being on Everest is like going outside at cruising altitude of a jet?

Blistering heat here in FL this week.

Lol...thanks Jerry.  

And yes, Technically it's not as hard a climb as some of the other high peaks in the world, but the shear size/altitude set it apart from the rest.  And unfortunately lots of idiots were allowed to go this year...

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

Science Channel's Impossible Engineering showed a repeat last night of construction and installation of a gigantic cover for the reactor building - think Quonset hut times 1,000, the thing is nearly 400' tall, weighs over 40,000 tons and cost $2 billion.  Show was just as fascinating the 2nd time.  The structure came together next to the building and was then sloooooowwly moved above it on Teflon-covered rails.  The cover's interior framing includes robotic tools on tracks that will be used remotely to take the building apart, estimated time 100 years.  Chernobyl - the gift that keeps on giving (though the cover should greatly reduce the radiation going off-site.)

Yes...awesome show.  I saw it last year...incredible engineering feat that's for sure.  I'd love to watch it again myself.   The conditions the construction crew had to work in was amazing too...winter is very harsh there for Sure!  

9 hours ago, powderfreak said:

People used to spend a half hour setting up a group photo on the summit after carrying a tripod and Camera to the summit.  But someone takes a few selfies and it's embarrassing.  How do you think there are photos of groups on the summit in the 80s and 90s?  

I mean this stuff is laughable when you realize what people are freaking out about. There was a fukkin' IMAX movie filmed up there (was shown in Boston Museum of Science) with a crew of 50 sherpas just to lug camera equipment all over the place to the summit and back.  In addition to multiple other movies but the surround screen footage of IMAX required special cameras.  And worried about selfies...it probably drastically reduced the time they spent on the summit.  

I get why the Sherpas are getting pissed though, their paradise has been discovered.  Just like how any local reacts once they see their slice of the world get crowded.  Ski towns, beach towns, Carribean Islands, anywhere the locals start to hate the visitors when they come in and remained unchecked.  

It's the idiots that don't know how to even put Krampons on...I'm sure they're the ones that were more concerned with taking selfies, than doing what they should have been.  When local Sherpa climbers are saying that about some of the people....that speaks volumes.  

WE get it...camera crews have been going up there for years filming with heavy/bulky equipment....but those folks were experienced Sherpa/ and Pro Mountaineers.  Not weekend warriors like were up there this May.  I think you get the point of all this.  It's not about a person's passion or taking pictures...it's about knowing your stuff and behaving responsibly, and most of all...knowing ones limitations.  That Mountain can and does outclass many people...experienced pros as well.  

4 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Awesome. Did you have this planned for awhile and how long you there for? Enjoy the vaca

3 hours ago, kdxken said:

Enjoy it's beautiful up there. Did you go to Dracula's castle?

I've been to Dracula's Castle... my wife's family is Romanian and her grandparents still live there along with some cousins.  She's got family all over Europe so we travel when we can.  My brother-in-law lives in Germany and so does her uncle, so we've done Munich...also have hit Poland and Hungary in the past 5 years.  I naturally try to visit as many mountain ranges as possible in these areas.

I'm a big fan of Europe and the history.  In Vermont we are like "this covered bridge has been around since 1700" and in Europe they are like "hold my beer, this Church has been around since 500 AD"...like the 13th century is modern history haha.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I've been to Dracula's Castle... my wife's family is Romanian and her grandparents still live there along with some cousins.  She's got family all over Europe so we travel when we can.  My brother-in-law lives in Germany and so does her uncle, so we've done Munich...also have hit Poland and Hungary in the past 5 years.  I naturally try to visit as many mountain ranges as possible in these areas.

I'm a big fan of Europe and the history.  In Vermont we are like "this covered bridge has been around since 1700" and in Europe they are like "hold my beer, this Church has been around since 500 AD"...like the 13th century is modern history haha.  

Nice.  Sounds like a ton of fun, and some great educational experiences for you guys.   Great that you have family there...and can visit/stay with them if you wanted to.  And yes...Europe is Ancient...the U.S. is very young in comparison...the history there and in those areas is nothing short of astounding.

Enjoy!

9 hours ago, powderfreak said:

People used to spend a half hour setting up a group photo on the summit after carrying a tripod and Camera to the summit.  But someone takes a few selfies and it's embarrassing.  How do you think there are photos of groups on the summit in the 80s and 90s?  

I mean this stuff is laughable when you realize what people are freaking out about. There was a fukkin' IMAX movie filmed up there (was shown in Boston Museum of Science) with a crew of 50 sherpas just to lug camera equipment all over the place to the summit and back.  In addition to multiple other movies but the surround screen footage of IMAX required special cameras.  And worried about selfies...it probably drastically reduced the time they spent on the summit.  

I get why the Sherpas are getting pissed though, their paradise has been discovered.  Just like how any local reacts once they see their slice of the world get crowded.  Ski towns, beach towns, Carribean Islands, anywhere the locals start to hate the visitors when they come in and remained unchecked.  

Better yet ... get in a helicopter ... go to the summit, take a photo, get back in helicopter, land in time for lunch.  

I know ... I know... not the same thing, but ...  hypocrisy comes in all different forms.   

Like that social reformist hammering away at a blog rant about the perils of high technology's robbing souls and leaving our youth vapid ... while dumbing down everyone else ... on the internet.  

More than half the self-proclaimed vegans out there .. are unaware, that almost nothing they wear isn't proximal to some form of animal exploitation - and philosophically valid... one can argue that any other person in the greater Kevin Baconism of humanity, those that regularly imbibe cheeseburger when delivering clothing products ...count in that form of hypocrisy.  Oh, rationalized with 'we do what we can' - okay.. 

People want to see film of the atrocity of people stopping to take selfies while the nose of a 110 mph jet max is right on top of them, ... just so they can rebuke the process of stopping to film.  The fun part of this exercise is that these forms of hypocrisy are unwitting ...  Unwitting hypocrisy makes one want to laugh at the other person's 'righteous indignation' ... Until you point it out to them, and they turn flush with shame and go, 'oh,' or, rage on ... at which point hypocrisy transmutes into stupidity.  

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Better yet ... get in a helicopter ... go to the summit, take a photo, get back in helicopter, land in time for lunch.  

I know ... I know... not the same thing, but ...  hypocrisy comes in all different forms.   

Like that social reformist hammering away at a blog rant about the perils of high technology's robbing souls and leaving our youth vapid ... while dumbing down everyone else ... on the internet.  

More than half the self-proclaimed vegans out there .. are unaware, that almost nothing they wear isn't proximal to some form of animal exploitation - and philosophically valid... one can argue that any other person in the greater Kevin Baconism of humanity, those that regularly embibe cheeseburger when delivering clothing products ...count in that form of hypocrisy.  Oh, rationalized with 'we do what we can' - okay.. 

People want to see film of the atrocity of people stopping to take selfies while the nose of a 110 mph jet max is right on top of them, ... just so they can rebuke the process of stopping to film.  The fun part of this exercise is that these forms of hypocrisy are unwitting ...  Unwitting hypocrisy makes one want to laugh at the other person's 'righteous indignation' ... Until you point it out to them, and they turn flush with shame and go, 'oh,' or, rage on ... at which point hypocrisy transmutes into stupidity.  

probably more dangerous to try to land on the summit than trekking up if that is what you meant.

8 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

More than half the self-proclaimed vegans out there .. are unaware, that almost nothing they wear isn't proximal to some form of animal exploitation - and philosophically valid... one can argue that any other person in the greater Kevin Baconism of humanity, those that regularly imbibe cheeseburger when delivering clothing products ...count in that form of hypocrisy.  Oh, rationalized with 'we do what we can' - okay.. 

You got some fancy helicopter that can fly up to 29k feet?  

10 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

probably more dangerous to try to land on the summit than trekking up if that is what you meant.

you and Bob   :unsure:  

the point is, people raise objection and impugn others and their own position is flawed much of the time - helicopters can't fly that high -

1 hour ago, WinterWolf said:

Yes...awesome show.  I saw it last year...incredible engineering feat that's for sure.  I'd love to watch it again myself.   The conditions the construction crew had to work in was amazing too...winter is very harsh there for Sure!  

They had to cycle work crews in and out to limit radiation exposure, further complicating things.  (And a far cry from the Soviet authorities who lied about the danger to firefighters.  I've read that hundreds died soon after combating the fires there.)

39 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

actually it has been done.. maybe once or twice..

A chopper on Everest???  I don't think that's been done.   Some other high peaks that arent almost 30,000ft,  choppers have rescued people...but I don't think a helicopter has ever been to the summit of Everest.   Air is too thin, can't create enough lift at that height.  

17 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

A chopper on Everest???  I don't think that's been done.   Some other high peaks that arent almost 30,000ft,  choppers have rescued people...but I don't think a helicopter has ever been to the summit of Everest.   Air is too thin, can't create enough lift at that height.  

If my memory is serving me well I think the first chopper landing on Everest was in 2004 or 2005.

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

lol...there's parts of the ocean we can't even get to.

unless you're a piece of a sunken ship.

but just think about how many creatures there probably are that haven't been discovered. I bet Atlantis is still a function city and the people have evolved to live under water. 

22 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

If my memory is serving me well I think the first chopper landing on Everest was in 2004 or 2005.

Sure...They've landed on Everest, and 20 thousand plus feet up....but not on the summit.   I'd love to know if any chopper actually landed on the summit??  I'm thinking not? 

1 minute ago, Bostonseminole said:

Look up Didier Delsalle.. 29K feet

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Just looked it up...wow.   Thanks Seminole.   

Problem is...that's a once in a lifetime type of thing(been 12 years since he's done it), and nobody is getting rescued if they're stuck on the summit(or right near the summit) by Helicopter, unless ofcourse you can get Didier to show up with his Eurocopter.