Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

1 minute ago, Angus said:

A little warmth so I can start swimming at the local pond - Walden - would be appreciated. We put dock in this weekend in NH...will be painful. Water temp currently 50. 

Yeah that’s not doable without a wetsuit. The good news is a few sunny warm days with limited wind to prevent mixing and the surface water will be warm enough to swim

In a typical Tropical Tidbits GFS map showing 6-hour precipitation rate, is the rate for the six hours AHEAD of the valid time, or for the 6 hours BEFORE the valid time?
E.g., if the map is valid at 12z, is the forecast for 12z-18z, or 6z-12z? (I help to advise on indoor vs. outdoor graduation ceremonies at the college I work at, Bates, and our graduation is Sunday 10am. Looks like showers exiting by 8am or so.) Thanks.

Screen Shot 2019-05-22 at 5.16.43 PM.jpg

2 hours ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

Lol, Summer warmth. Totally glossing over the current nice stretch of weather.

Meh ... You didn't ask me for this opinion buuut, nah -

Folks certainly appreciate today's weather just fine.  I mean ...are we really expecting five pages about 74 F blue bird quiescence ?

But it goes similar to News media necessity?   If it's not dire, it's not on fire, and you only yell fire in a crowded theater ;)   In other words, what's copasetic isn't news-worth because news is intended to inform of circumstances doing harm, regardless of what form.   Today's weather isn't one of those times ...  It's concomitant with the nature of all things great and small... not threat = no warning = nothing to talk about ...  But it doesn't mean people don't like the day.

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

What bear is he poking?

I know ... seems like collectively at a minimum we employed the trope, 'watch us end up above normal' at one time or the other, and probably meant it more than sarcasm at the time too -

I think he means his Twitter audience - ...which probably doesn't include that many regulars/return users here.  don't know - But I know I mentioned myself that nightly lows were not appreciably cold ...and that diurnal chill was mainly during the day ... giving us a faux impression of how bad it was ( perhaps )..

It's also possible the models are in flux - changing toward warmer solutions ...

I've noticed this in the past with GFSX MOS numbers....when they are substantively warmer (colder) looking than the pattern, ... sometimes the pattern sort of evolves toward ...

It's like history proved that in some scenarios the warmer(cooler) variations were favored.

Here is Newark NJ for sunday through next Wed: 

63  87| 68  86| 66  87| 71  91|

Those high temperatures are a clear 9 to 15 above climatology and we're talking days 4 through 7, a range that is increasingly weighted/mitigating extremes.  So warmer going that far above climo looks like over kill - unless the pattern adjusts more dominating with the ridge perhaps ...etc... and does the evolving thing.   Granted KEWR is not in SNE.... but our regional numbers  but if the warm bulges more... it won't make much difference either. 

36 minutes ago, 1985 Polar Bear said:

In a typical Tropical Tidbits GFS map showing 6-hour precipitation rate, is the rate for the six hours AHEAD of the valid time, or for the 6 hours BEFORE the valid time?
E.g., if the map is valid at 12z, is the forecast for 12z-18z, or 6z-12z? (I help to advise on indoor vs. outdoor graduation ceremonies at the college I work at, Bates, and our graduation is Sunday 10am. Looks like showers exiting by 8am or so.) Thanks.

Screen Shot 2019-05-22 at 5.16.43 PM.jpg

6-12z

38 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Folks certainly appreciate today's weather just fine.  I mean ...are we really expecting five pages about 74 F blue bird quiescence ?

But it goes similar to News media necessity?   If it's not dire, it's not on fire, and you only yell fire in a crowded theater ;)   In other words, what's copasetic isn't news-worth because news is intended to inform of circumstances doing harm, regardless of what form.   Today's weather isn't one of those times ...  It's concomitant with the nature of all things great and small... not threat = no warning = nothing to talk about ...  But it doesn't mean people don't like the day.

It was a fairly nice month. Just not overly sunny 

59 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Hold on...but when it was cold with a snow threat a week or 10 days ago, weren't you arguing that we should all be having more discussion about weather "normal" people want?  

<duck and run> 

;) 

Today was 5-stars all the way.  60-70F with low dews.  Brochure weather for the Chamber of Commerce.

• Like 1

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

In fact I’m fairly certain you posted the EPS for both months and it showed BN. Def Napril you posted. Mayorch not sure . Point being .. BN very unlikely in this regime of SE ridge 

Shitty month of Napril wet cloudy, May sucked , one warm day, beautiful last 2 days . We COC

14dTDeptNRCC.png

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I’ve never seen someone so enamored with charts 

It does back statements up with facts though.  At least someone in the argument can show that they actually looked at something.  

Without a strong reasoning to go BN though, in today's climate if you don't have a strong cold signal the Las Vegas money is on AN.  I think the minimum temps will get it done, plus a couple hot days middle of next week.

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It does back statements up with facts though.  At least someone in the argument can show that they actually looked at something.  

Without a strong reasoning to go BN though, in today's climate if you don't have a strong cold signal the Las Vegas money is on AN.  I think the minimum temps will get it done, plus a couple hot days middle of next week.

That’s what i mean though. Those charts almost always are BN in every season. It’s rare they are AN. They almost always bust low. So I just don’t know how usable they are if  ACATT biased? They kept showing cold cold in winter. We know how that worked out 

13 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That’s what i mean though. Those charts almost always are BN in every season. It’s rare they are AN. They almost always bust low. So I just don’t know how usable they are if  ACATT biased? They kept showing cold cold in winter. We know how that worked out 

Fake news sells in your world.  Say it enough and it will be true I guess. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Just run with AN every day every month.

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I mean without a strong signal either way, we do seem prone to AN compared to BN in the means. I don't really have an opinion on it, it just is what it is.

It’s the way to go for sure but with higher mins, can provide a false sense of ‘warmth’. April was AN yet no one agrees it was a warm nor springlike. 

12 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

It’s the way to go for sure but with higher mins, can provide a false sense of ‘warmth’. April was AN yet no one agrees it was a warm nor springlike. 

Yeah definitely agree there.  But in the means you go AN more often than BN and you'll win the bet.

• Haha 1