• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

One thing I noticed this morning and I love seeing these differences... is just HOW much every tenth of a degree matters in these elevation dependent snowfalls.

Snowfall went from like 0.5-1" around the base area to 3" literally in about the height of two trees.  Sometimes it's hard to wrap your head around just how small a thermal difference can make in accumulations.

If there was like a 5 story building here there would be like a half inch to inch coating at the bottom, and a solid caking 3" on the roof.

What's the temperature difference between the caked trees and the sloppy dripping trees?  Maybe a half a degree?

rTCeHLH.jpg

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

One thing I noticed this morning and I love seeing these differences... is just HOW much every tenth of a degree matters in these elevation dependent snowfalls.

Snowfall went from like 0.5-1" around the base area to 3" literally in about the height of two trees.  Sometimes it's hard to wrap your head around just how small a thermal difference can make in accumulations.

If there was like a 5 story building here there would be like a half inch to inch coating at the bottom, and a solid caking 3" on the roof.

What's the temperature difference between the caked trees and the sloppy dripping trees?  Maybe a half a degree?

rTCeHLH.jpg

Speaking of micro climates I read that the world trade center towers would very often have 8"+ on the roof while the ground was just getting straight rain.

6 minutes ago, 8611Blizz said:

Speaking of micro climates I read that the world trade center towers would very often have 8"+ on the roof while the ground was just getting straight rain.

Given their height a 4C difference was possible if it was well mixed. 

36 minutes ago, 8611Blizz said:

That's pretty awesome.  They were what, 1300ft tall?  I mean that's nuts.  You could easily have a raging elevation snowstorm up there with rain at the bottom.  Like being higher than ORH at the top and near sea level at the base.

1 hour ago, 8611Blizz said:

I was at the top of the world when it was raining on the street and snowing up, building was absolutely massive.

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

Lol..Billerica is immune to back doors now?

To be fair he did say W.MA.  

Anyway, there does seem to be some nice days mixed in the 10-day.  CT especially on the temp progs looks to be most sustained mild weather.  

I'm waiting for the classic over the top style warmth where it's sunny and 70/30 from here to N.NH while ya'll are 50/48 and murky in the coastal plain bowl SE of the mountains.  Seems to happen a couple times every spring.

4 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

We Vegas today for National sales conference thru Fri. 90 today . Can’t wait . And then rain tomorrow. Can’t escape

ughhh terrible time to be in Vegas (wx wise). unsettled and much below-average through the weekend. Looks to be on the windy side too. Maybe you'll see some thunder tomorrow though!!

17 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Looking back at this winter, feel fortunate to get near 50”. This is another winter with a double digit snowfall. Since  2005 only two winters have failed to have a double digit event. That’s really remarkable. 

That's one less such winter than here, surprisingly.  05-06 failed to even have a 6" event (had to go back to 67-68 in NNJ to find another winter I had w/o a 6-incher.)   11-12 and 15-16 also missed the mark. 10-11 didn't reach a double digit storm until April Fool's day, and in 9-10 it took 5 late-Feb days and 2.68" LE to accumulate 10.7" - was 4:1 glop as it fell, with not a single IP in the mess.  Of course, this area more than makes up for that with total snowfall (usually) and pack depth/duration (non-14-15 division.)