Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Will finish May about 4.4° BN here, 2nd (by 1.1°) only to May 2005 and 2° cooler than #3.  Unless there's areal surprise between now and 9 PM, precip will be 4.34".  That's 108% of average and the year is at 111%, thanks to January's 170%.  This month's RA has come in small doses; in fact, we haven't seen an event much over 1" since last December's Grinch storm.  Today looks to make 2 w/o precip for the first time in 2.5 weeks.  If we can squeak out tomorrow as well, would be the first three-peat since the 2nd week of April.  No deluges, just frequent watering. 

Love this car  (except it's front wheel drive and has a low base) and in NNE that is a no go you need a truck or at least all wheel drive.

Drove a state Prius frequently some years back and it was nice seeing 45-55 mpg.  However, our dead-end road and its plow times mitigate against owning one.  Also, I'm getting to the stage where I'd need an elevator to get out of such a low seat and my wife (with 2 artificial knees) is way ahead of me.  Our 2017 Forester and 2011 Ranger are each at a nice height for getting in and out.  They each get about 28 mpg, not earthshaking but the little Ford-plus pickups were always at the top of the EPA mileage chart for non-hybrid PUs.  (I was sad when Ford shuttered the Ranger line - been driving Rangers/Mazdas for 25 years - and was briefly elated to hear of its resurrection.  Then I saw that the new model followed Tacoma in being halfway between the old compact and a standard-size pickup.)

Yeah, the new Rangers are not what I would have liked to see.  I get it that people want bigger, but I always loved compact pickup trucks. We had a little Nissan for a while that was a blast to drive.  So horrible in the snow though...lol

3 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Not to hijack this thread but May is about over.  Speaking of electricity.  I pay 14.7 cents Kwh.  I have a Prius plug hybrid.  First 25 miles pure electric and then the hybrid engine.  Just drove from my house up to Plymouth center NH and back.  25 miles and that uses up a battery worth of electric.  Takes 6 Kwh to recharge.  So that is .88 cents of electricity.  What does the average car get  25miles per gallon, maybe 35?  That would have cost me  $2.79.  Most of my driving is within 25 miles a day but even once I use up the all-electric still getting well over 50mpg.  Love this car  (except it's front wheel drive and has a low base) and in NNE that is a no go you need a truck or at least all wheel drive.

FWIW Toyota put out a AWD Prius for 2019 model.  It gets about 5 mpg less than the FWD but is still over 50 mpg.  Base height would be the only issue.  I only run into needing to take the Subie for my 60 mile (each way) commute through NNE on about 5 days a winter so far.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Yeah, the new Rangers are not what I would have liked to see.  I get it that people want bigger, but I always loved compact pickup trucks. We had a little Nissan for a while that was a blast to drive.  So horrible in the snow though...lol

With decent tires and a couple hundred pounds of firewood in back, my rig goes fairly well.  My commute includes the aptly named Mile Hill, where Route 27 climbs about 300' in 5,000 for an average 6% grade, with 8-9% on an upper pitch.  There's also a sharp turn just before climbing which limits run-up speed.  I've yet to get stuck there, but occasionally have had trouble going up the little hill on our driveway because it's uphill right from where we park.

I find it a bit odd that both Toyota and Ford are marketing their (somewhat) smaller pickups for rugged recreation, while their full-size versions mainly as work trucks.  Toyota as advertised this way for years, so Ford must be the copycat.

Hazy/smokey upper 60s here in Augusta.  dews low 30s nearby, might make another run at 32 overnight though I doubt we'll get there.  Nothing to kill in the garden and the apple blossoms should be hardy unless temps drop into the 20s, which won't happen.

58 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

AN month in New England?  BN just about everywhere.

-4.0 here
Avg max:  58.3   6.1 BN   Highest - 72 on 29-0th, 25th.  Ties 2005 for coolest max, only 4ht of 22 Mays not to reach 80s.
Avg min:  37.6   2.2 BN  Lowest - 23 on 1st, 9th   Low max  45 on 10th, 14th
Avg.   48.0   4.0 BN

Precip:  4.34"   0.33" AN
Greatest one day:  0.95" on 10th

Thunder:  None

Sun:  9.5 days, trailing only 2005 (8) and April-May sun is lowest of any year.