Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

Just now, WinterWolf said:

Just looked it up...wow.   Thanks Seminole.   

Problem is...that's a once in a lifetime type of thing(been 12 years since he's done it), and nobody is getting rescued if they're stuck on the summit(or right near the summit) by Helicopter, unless ofcourse you can get Didier to show up with his Eurocopter.   

oh yeah, agree, not sure if anyone else has tried but has been a long time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I've been to Dracula's Castle... my wife's family is Romanian and her grandparents still live there along with some cousins.  

You wife's grandparents live in Dracula's Castle?  cool!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

yeah... so, if you get those through cable television ... ( which, not saying you 'do' just sayn') get out of it.  

you can get internet service from different providers - you can get satellite internet and it's fine.  and via those sources, you stream Hulu sports packages and it's probably better 

I had free cable for years in RI after it first came out. Lol you ordered a box, disconnected, cancelled and then plugged the box in. They never asked about the box.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I couldn’t live in a world without hbo, showtime, netflix, hulu, prime, and nfl redzone. 

I'm not sure if it's cheaper or if we don't get all it offers, but watch HBO through Amazon.

90% of my viewing is HBO/Netflix/Hulu.  And, I"m loving Chernobyl, though I've only watch half of th elast episode.

20 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

51VIbQ1YjSL._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_

bed bugs???

20 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

For sure. Both shows are on Netflix anyways...even with NCIS still running...if I can't watch the new episode when it airs, it's available on their app the following day. When I get my own place in a few years I likely will not get cable at all...major waste of money. Heck...within a few years things will be much different anyways. Eventually cable companies "go away". My grandmother pays like $160 a month for cable/house phone and doesn't even get most movie channels lol. 

Just down get satellite internet.  It blows.

8 hours ago, ineedsnow said:

We frost! :)

Hopefully people hadn't installed.  At least we'll be able to finish out May without wondering if the heat's going to kick on like it did earlier in the week. 

1 hour ago, moneypitmike said:

I'm not sure if it's cheaper or if we don't get all it offers, but watch HBO through Amazon.

90% of my viewing is HBO/Netflix/Hulu.  And, I"m loving Chernobyl, though I've only watch half of th elast episode.

bed bugs???

Just down get satellite internet.  It blows.

Hopefully people hadn't installed.  At least we'll be able to finish out May without wondering if the heat's going to kick on like it did earlier in the week. 

Most everyone installs before Mem Day weekend. It’s one more thing to check off the list of things to get done and it’s a huge ordeal . Once they’re in , you can relax knowing when the HHH comes you are ready to roll. You get those clowns that install after the house is 80 with high dews and they’re sweating and angry. 

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Most everyone installs before Mem Day weekend. It’s one more thing to check off the list of things to get done and it’s a huge ordeal . Once they’re in , you can relax knowing when the HHH comes you are ready to roll. You get those clowns that install after the house is 80 with high dews and they’re sweating and angry. 

No plans to buy an air conditioner.

8 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I have to agree with you here. Get it done while you don't have to over-exert yourself...especially if you're dealing with big and bulky AC's. Where I used to work they waited one time to install them when it was like 90 and humid. 

Not only is it the work though, but it's the stress on the AC itself...if you wait until its hot and humid inside to start using it, the unit has to work harder and it draws more electricity too. 

I think people just wait util the last second b/c the thought of installing them means $$$$$. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

And then the rest of the day is ruined, they kick their dogs, yell at old ladies walking on the sidewalk, and knock things off the shelves at the grocery store.

My goodness, the adversity one faces in life when faced with HHH.  

• Haha 2

For those still using window units LG now has a inverter window unit on the market. This is the same technology used on ductless mini splits. The compressor output speed is variable unlike a regular unit that is on or off at full output. 

The payback with New Englands insane electric rates would be quick. CT/MA have the higest electricity prices in the US outside of Hawaii. 

LG'S New Room Air Conditioners Blow Away Competition With Advanced Cooling, 40% Increase In Energy Efficiency

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/lgs-new-room-air-conditioners-blow-away-competition-with-advanced-cooling-40-increase-in-energy-efficiency-300684328.html

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Lol. Installs are easy costs nothing and energy efficient AC’s don’t use that much more electricity to cool a hot room down. I guess if you are fat or a weakling it can be difficult picking up a 12k btu unit so I highly recommend strength training and tossing the jogging.

Window ac's are a joke with efficiency. The average seer rating is like 8 or something. Some mini splits have seer ratings of like 40. 

Take a look at what we are paying for electricity in New England. MA is approaching almost 25 cents a kwh. Any energy efficient appliance has a huge quick payback here.

https://www.eia.gov/electricity/monthly/epm_table_grapher.php?t=epmt_5_6_a

22 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Window ac's are a joke with efficiency. The average seer rating is like 8 or something. Some mini splits have seer ratings of like 40. 

Take a look at what we are paying for electricity in New England. MA is approaching almost 25 cents a kwh. Any energy efficient appliance has a huge quick payback here.

https://www.eia.gov/electricity/monthly/epm_table_grapher.php?t=epmt_5_6_a

The point was directed at the notion a unit takes up so much more electricity if you install during a hot day. It doesn’t. 

Maybe I’m somehow stealing kwh’s because my electricity bill went up a whopping $30 last summer when I had 3 units cranking 24/7. In fact, it’s more expensive to leave my driveway lights on overnight then to cool the crib. 

Too much neuroticism over window units and electricity. Get a good one, it’s fine. Install when you want, it’s fine.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Seems like you're really afraid to let high dews into your house.