Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

1 minute ago, wxmanmitch said:

74.2° F max here. It was warm working outside in the sun, but a robust breeze made it comfortable and kept the black flies at bay for a while before the wind slacked off and they picked up again around 5 PM. No deer flies yet, thank god.

Black flies are pretty much done here.  Mosquitoes will be next.  Deer flies near the middle of June through the end of July    Seasons in seasons

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Black flies are pretty much done here.  Mosquitoes will be next.  Deer flies near the middle of June through the end of July    Seasons in seasons

Good to know. Black flies are absolutely insane here right now. Last year they ran from Mother's Day to Father's Day with the peak around Memorial Day. 

Also, this warm and dry May...for who? Could be a good slug of rain Tuesday and then maybe more Thursday. After today's warmth, might get a few days of neg departures. I'm not sure what has gotten into some mets lately on TV...but people have been quick to try and be a maverick. 

88.5 here yesterday.  Not quite 90 but felt great.  Looks active with multiple fronts/ frontal waves with the big heat dome squashed with heigher heights developing out west.  My father is up in Central Maine for the weekend and put up a couple of pictures on Facebook looks like the leaves are about a month behind here.  

9 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Also, this warm and dry May...for who? Could be a good slug of rain Tuesday and then maybe more Thursday. After today's warmth, might get a few days of neg departures. I'm not sure what has gotten into some mets lately on TV...but people have been quick to try and be a maverick. 

Fisher was talking drought the other day...oof

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

How long have you been in Maine?  Where in NNJ were you?  I lived in Morris County for a couple years 20 some-odd years ago.

Where in Morris?

We moved to BGR on 1/23/73 after I was accepted as a transfer to U. Maine on my 2nd try.  After graduation we moved to Fort Kent on 1/1/76 and found the change in climate from that 200-mile move was twice that of the earlier 400-mile move.  Grew up in Morris, small town named Kinnelon (named by/for Albert Kinney, who made his fortune selling Sweet Caporal cigarettes) in the north part of the county and eastern edge of the Jersey Highlands.

Topped out at 71 yesterday, but it was steamy after the brief shower about 12:30 PM.  Got some drier air by late afternoon.  All sun and dry today, will see if the pike are hungry at North Pond.  GYX has a freeze watch for central Franklin but not outhern - likely we'll flirt with frost here.  Not uncommon, as median last frost is 5/24.  Black flies out and hungry, mosquitos arriving.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Where in Morris?

We moved to BGR on 1/23/73 after I was accepted as a transfer to U. Maine on my 2nd try.  After graduation we moved to Fort Kent on 1/1/76 and found the change in climate from that 200-mile move was twice that of the earlier 400-mile move.  Grew up in Morris, small town named Kinnelon (named by/for Albert Kinney, who made his fortune selling Sweet Caporal cigarettes) in the north part of the county and eastern edge of the Jersey Highlands.

I know Kinnelon--right by Butler/Route 23??

I was in Boonton Twsp.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Kinda funny how badly Wednesday failed. 95° in SNE a few days ago and now it’s doored practically down to BWI. Can’t wait for my 40s tomorrow. 

I tried to warn 'em ... 

The funny thing is, even when GFSX MOS was already cutting huge numbers as an obvious response to synoptic markers ... posts still hitting the convection sauce hard for Wednesday.  I mean...not that MOS is perfunctorily correct or nothin'.. but synoptic raged for a BD correction ... and here comes the heat and thunder, eee haw! 

You mentioned this yourself a couple weeks or ago ...and I see it as still happening.  The NAM's solutions off 00z and 06z really illustrate nicely.  There is a vortex over the lower Maritimes means days like yesterday are not the norm. But more importantly means... if there is ever a west east extended frontal structure on the mid range charts near NE latitudes, ...duh

That feature is there some frustratingly huge percentage of all times since April ... and the flow around it is confluent with the ridge in S/SE ... or, confluent with westerlies in general, at equal frequency.  You can directly see that circumstance mechanically effect the lower tropospheric pressure pattern on the NAM runs. When the mid week warm push attempts to thrust in...  Can't do it.  The confluence slabs the region with a giant coffer dammed atmosphere of thermodynamically dense air, and if anything, that only aggravates the BD boundary and entices to move even farther south into the M/A