Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

30 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

We pool, open for the grandkids, 63 degrees was cold but had to go in to tighten some screws and clean surface debris. We summer 

20190525_141318.jpg

Looks great!  Kids love the pool so much.  I remember how much I loved it too when I was a kid..at my Grandparents house too!!  Nice to see Ginx..Enjoy with them :-). 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Must mean fall starts after July 4th?

Weaker trees already changing in West Chesterfield.

4 hours ago, Hoth said:

Wasn't there a February tornado up in Mass a couple years ago? 

I was less than 5 miles from the Thanksgiving tornado in Maine a decade or so ago.  What a torch of a turkey day that was!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

We pool, open for the grandkids, 63 degrees was cold but had to go in to tighten some screws and clean surface debris. We summer 

20190525_141318.jpg

Opened mine today.. it looks about the same going to run the filter for awhile and dive in tomorrow :)

1 minute ago, Hoth said:

My swimming pool is the ocean. Sadly it is still frightened-turtle level cold. And there was a great white sighting recently to boot. We'll wait.

That was my folks' attitude growing up.  They saw no need for a pool when you could walk to the beach.

The fact we had no money with 9 kids contributed to their thinking.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

That was my folks' attitude growing up.  They saw no need for a pool when you could walk to the beach.

The fact we had no money with 9 kids contributed to their thinking.

Ocean is where my heart is but as it was my cayonnes were somewhere north of my tonsils at 63 degrees 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

Weaker trees already changing in West Chesterfield.

I was less than 5 miles from the Thanksgiving tornado in Maine a decade or so ago.  What a torch of a turkey day that was!

There were 2, an EF-1 and  EF-0, during one of the better snowstorms of that little-snow winter of 05-06 - only one since my NNJ days in which I never got even a 6" event.

Googly-eyed metric perhaps but ... in some outre intuitive sense I still can't help getting the feeling it won't ever be truly summer this year until we stop seeing these chart characteristics on D 10's regardless of what it happens to feel like today and later this week...

image.thumb.png.1fb24ece2e7f42a818899b80ea954537.png

Having said that ... NCEP's monthly "state of the climate" publication for April was basically like Global Warming clock-punching ..  Every notable of their annotated graphic is either top 10 ... if not 5, warmest this, or as such lowest sea-ice level that ...

It's been like 120 straight months of it.   I haven't been too too anal about keeping ledger of this but it seems like > 50 % of those months by a substantial margin ... we here over eastern North America are, somehow by the vagaries of all things great and small, resulting either in a colder than normal, or proximal to a region that is at minimum colder than everyone else relative to that ongoing inferno... 

interesting bias -

Wednesday got a little more interesting for convection in the operational model types, overnight...

This is fascinating when this happens - people post ideas that have 0 plausibility and 0 reason to even conjure them up... and, what happens?  The models start inching and morphing their way toward those distinctions, utilizing 0 physical causality too - fascinating..  (that's sarcasm)

In the peregrinations of the life and times as we wend through, we call this luck -  ...be that as it may, the warm frontal wave is trended weaker. It is less closed off Wednesday 06z to 12z that morning, and with less backside BD "lobing" of the pressure pattern into ( yes ..even western ) New England... the region gets closer to warm sectoring.

If if if that can really continue to modulate just a little bit north with those structures/features, than we most certainly would end up equatorial side of a warm front at max heating .. which would imply CAPE production in a helicity saturated environment.  Not a bad couple of parametrics to paint on a canvas for convective enthusiasts...

So we'll see...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

There were 2, an EF-1 and  EF-0, during one of the better snowstorms of that little-snow winter of 05-06 - only one since my NNJ days in which I never got even a 6" event.

How long have you been in Maine?  Where in NNJ were you?  I lived in Morris County for a couple years 20 some-odd years ago.

8 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

How long have you been in Maine?  Where in NNJ were you?  I lived in Morris County for a couple years 20 some-odd years ago.

I'm a Bergen County transplant from 2 years ago.

There are a ton of us from NNJ in NE now and on this board. A lot of posters been here a lot longer than me but I find it interesting that there are so many transplants from NNJ. Is it the fact that it's only a 3.5-4 hour drive and we desire snowier winters?

If it's going to rain, this is the way to do it.  Beautiful day yesterday, then 1.25" of rain overnight, now beautiful day today.

At 7.75" of rain for the month in town, should clear 8" by the end of May.  Sneaky very wet month with 19 of 26 days seeing rainfall.

12 hours ago, powderfreak said:

The lower Hellbrook drainage seen today from the top of Spruce Peak.

Someday it will be green... leaves starting to break out on the most subtly south facing direction mid-slope locations.

This is like 700 vertical foot series of waterfalls.

Is that the only snow left on the mountain