Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

55 minutes ago, radarman said:

The forcing was more in question yesterday.  Shear and instability were present, it was just a matter of initiation.  Mesomodels started hinting that cells would form only about 18-24 hrs in advance. The high risk day they knew they'd have a lot of action, although the open warm sector may have underproduced compared with what was being advertised in the morning especially by the HRRR.

I was noticing the morning 'dirt' in that barotropic swath and thought to was a modest mitigator ... I wonder if cloud contamination was greater, say, than under bias in said Meso's .. causing them to over-evaluate diabatic heat/SB CAPE -  interesting... 

There's also the conditionalizing of society issue... 

Don't be shocked if we encounter a headline or two in the coming days, pertaining to NWS' missing the boat on one day versus the other - which would be infuriating because in reality, they didn't miss any boats.  But society folk don't care about facts ... they only care about what affects them ... Should said facts fit inside that experiential envelope ...they are fine to extend credit where credit is due.  Otherwise, their hair is on fire -

Missouri was particularly hard hit yesterday ... from personal perspective to commerce and in between, considerably more so note-worthy in the "affects them" compared to the OMG warnings the day or so before verified.  Even though both days provided impressive results ... it's going to register a partial failure.   It may be hard to draw the line between failure and perception -

6 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

The amount of flooding going on is insane. The media can't cover it all but with 162 tornados this week, super high wind lines, and historical flooding it certainly has been a crazy week.

It seems like despite the historical appeal of all of this, we have become almost immune to all of these headlines since it seems like something historical is happening every week anymore...thank you climate change. Globally,  between heat, flooding, typhoons/hurricanes, and other weather related phenomenon history is rewriting itself on a daily basis rather than ever once in a while.

16 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

It seems like despite the historical appeal of all of this, we have become almost immune to all of these headlines since it seems like something historical is happening every week anymore...thank you climate change. Globally,  between heat, flooding, typhoons/hurricanes, and other weather related phenomenon history is rewriting itself on a daily basis rather than ever once in a while.

Don’t forget about the devastating landphoons and small pecker lows. 

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

I forgot where i saw this but I saw something that smoke from Mexico may have advected into the region which yielded the H7 cap and temp rises which were not modeled. 

During the "bust" outbreak I watched KONO out of Oklahoma City.  The on air Met was talking about how smoky it was over Oklahoma from the Mexico fires.  He did not connect it to the forecasted severe weather outbreak and I didn't think about it till I read this thread.  I also noticed the smoke over New England the other day.

2 hours ago, WinterWolf said:

And it was supposed to be a rocking/snowy/cold winter too....that was wrong by most everybody as well.   I'm not thinking all that hot this year, nothing like last years Heat and Humidity duration at least.  We'll have our hot days, and Humid ones too, but I'm not thinking anything extraordinary.   It's all a guess anyways.

Remember-correlation does not imply causation.

42 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

Not going to get into Global Warming and that stuff here, But you have to remember that climate is a "big long time thing".  We have such a small historical record size, that ofcourse there are going to be times where the weather breaks the small amount of record time that we have recorded.  And the media is just full of complete hyperbole and downright nonsense a lot of times.  Not downplaying any of what has happened in the midwest at all. It's been super impressive and aww inspiring.   But be sure of one thing....things like this have happened before!  Before there were people here to write it down....or people who cared about writing it down.  And they will happen again.   Everything is record breaking and unprecedented lately with the media.   You know...like POLAR VORTEX, BOMB CYCLONE etc etc...   Just some food for thought.

31 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Not going to get into Global Warming and that stuff here, But you have to remember that climate is a "big long time thing".  We have such a small historical record size, that ofcourse there are going to be times where the weather breaks the small amount of record time that we have recorded.  And the media is just full of complete hyperbole and downright nonsense a lot of times.  Not downplaying any of what has happened in the midwest at all. It's been super impressive and aww inspiring.   But be sure of one thing....things like this have happened before!  Before there were people here to write it down....or people who cared about writing it down.  And they will happen again.   Everything is record breaking and unprecedented lately with the media.   You know...like POLAR VORTEX, BOMB CYCLONE etc etc...   Just some food for thought.

Or one of my favorites "Severe Weather Outbreak to Effect 85 Million"

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

Exactly....LMAO!!!

Social media and the quest for ratings has caused actual reporting to be a lost art. And that applies to both print and on air reporting.   Take a look at a newspaper from 20-25 years ago and compare it to a current newspaper. 

Another favorite" Hurricane Season to Effect Millions, What You Need to Know Now"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I was at a yard party on Saturday and there were two distinct consensus' when the season/climate stuff came up as it inevitably does in those social settings around circles of paper plates and draft beers ... Some thought the difference between this year's 'spring' and the last few is that this year we actually had one. Others complained like we seemed to do so in here, about plaguing chill and wet.

One's view probably hinges on both location and perception.  Spring (so far) at my place fits the "chill and wet" best. April was 2° BN, tied with 2007 for least sunshine, and while total precip was barely AN the month had more days with measurable than any of the other 20 Aprils here.  Thru the 22nd, this month is running -4.6°, precip 120% of average (minor departure), and sunshine is headed for the bottom quartile.  Days like yesterday have been rather uncommon, less so than cold and rainy ones.

26 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Social media and the quest for ratings has caused actual reporting to be a lost art. And that applies to both print and on air reporting.   Take a look at a newspaper from 20-25 years ago and compare it to a current newspaper. 

Another favorite" Hurricane Season to Effect Millions, What You Need to Know Now"

So so True.   It's sickening really how low/ridiculous it(reporting) has become.   Everything is Sensationalized/exaggerated to the endth degree.  Sad.

24 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

It is what people seem to want though...  just sucks

I think that people want it...but they don't. People drive the hype up and then get let down by their own hype. People complain so much that weather gets hyped and some will even go as far as naming the individuals who said hype the weather, but what to those people do...they go right back to those sources. 

People are so sucked into hype that they need it. As long as the news and media keeps doing what they're doing and as long as they continue to get the ratings they do hype will continue to get out of control. 

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

One's view probably hinges on both location and perception.  Spring (so far) at my place fits the "chill and wet" best. April was 2° BN, tied with 2007 for least sunshine, and while total precip was barely AN the month had more days with measurable than any of the other 20 Aprils here.  Thru the 22nd, this month is running -4.6°, precip 120% of average (minor departure), and sunshine is headed for the bottom quartile.  Days like yesterday have been rather uncommon, less so than cold and rainy ones.

Yeah agree ...  

Personally, I wouldn't try to argue against the empirical data.  I don't necessarily agree with that half of the yard-party consensus, no.

I mean ... setting the 'total number of days with the cd up the bum shoot' record ...?  Regardless of any yard-party consensi, that justifies my impression of this being annoying.  I was just trying to play a bit of d-advocate.  They could've just said springs suck here, and this was therefore typical - that might have been a fair way to put it too. 

God I f'n hate this sewage catch basin of a geography in the spring.  There's acceptance of norms... fine.  we get it... But, that doesn't make it something one wants to necessarily go through, either.  "How was the spring in new england this year?   Oh ...it was awesome - we got 21 out of 30 days with no sun in drizzle.  

you know ..it's interesting.  I was watching the overhead on the 'mill at the gym the other day and a local Met was discussing how the region was above normal rainfall since March.  The most above was 1.42"  

1.42? ?!?  whaaa ... 

As face smack butt bang nasty as the weather has been, it coulda been a foot above normal. 

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Media is all garbage all the time . All Spin for ratings . It’s by law entertainment 

Weather reporting After the damage and sports is exception.

70 in Nashua . Beautiful warmish feeling 

'tis true my milf hunting friend, but at the same time the sh*t spewed by the news media can create false narratives (pick any topic du jour), easily swaying the minds of the sheep.  I think that the next, looming threat to the U.S. will come in the form of a civil war of some kind, aided by an over sensationalized news media.  

8 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

'tis true my milf hunting friend, but at the same time the sh*t spewed by the news media can create false narratives (pick any topic du jour), easily swaying the minds of the sheep.  I think that the next, looming threat to the U.S. will come in the form of a civil war of some kind, aided by an over sensationalized news media.  

People are easily fooled , duped and led to believe things that aren’t true. Doesn’t matter your education level , people have weaknesses and biases and comfort zone beliefs that will not be easily swayed as well. Emotional beings easily divided by Race/ Gender / Nationality if those buttons are pushed and the media does it daily for ratings....and today there is such an unbelievable amount social media to record and spread news They will find the story to continue the agenda and it will be spun or eggagerated or made to represent the “norm” and intelligent people  will believe it and form opinions based on spin.

Nashua 71 , mostly cloudy 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

People are easily fooled , duped and led to believe things that aren’t true. Doesn’t matter your education level , people have weaknesses and biases and comfort zone beliefs that will not be easily swayed as well. Emotional beings easily divided by Race/ Gender / Nationality if those buttons are pushed and the media does it daily for ratings....and today there is such an unbelievable amount social media to record and spread news They will find the story to continue the agenda and it will be spun or eggagerated or made to represent the “norm” and intelligent people  will believe it and form opinions based on spin.

Nashua 71 , mostly cloudy 

Our friend and Freuds nephew from Cambridge

Edward Bernays - 1991: When I came back to the United States I decided that if you could use propaganda for war you could certainly use it for peace. And propaganda got to be a bad word because of the Germans using it. So what I did is try to find some other words so we found the word Council on Public Relations

how's that wx related?  I dunno

Anyway, pattern sure looks like a scorcher through the latter ranges of most guidance. Hopefully we get a few cool days in there, too. We need severe and soon.