Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

Just now, Dr. Dews said:

Spc chucking out supercell wording

Definitely not out of the question given WNW mid-level flow and a sfc flow which should have more of a S component to it. There may even be a plume of steeper lapse rates which could really help boost stronger CAPE values. I'm not just entirely impressed with the s/w though.

However, to sort of add onto Tip's ideas I think we could see some elevated nocturnal convection as MUCAPE's increase and some s/w energy dives SE out of Canada. 

8 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

Spc chucking out supercell wording

Yeah I noticed that ... 

Though I mentioned bow segments; I was really just short-handing the discussion point. The dial is rotated around in the vectors.

Typically.. .you get that WSW 700 mb with over stressed WNW at 500 mb and a surface vector of 180 ... and that more or less is what we think of as far as the Plains climo.. But in this situation, you take those vectors and pivot.  Such that the surface winds may be 210 or 220 ( 190 in the valleys), with 700 mbe more WNW and 500 mb NW and accelerating..  You end up with the same bulk shear but relative storm motion is SE as opposed NE.  

But yeah... SC structures would be plausible back over PA ... My point is that it's trend closer to us and I wonder if that trend isn't finished.. 

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

There is an EML lurking on Thursday night. While inverted, hail and good LTG certainly are possible for SNE. 

Quite intrigued with the overnight look across VT/NH and into ME...even down here...especially if that area of steep lapse rates works out. S/w timing is solid too. All in all...may actually be a better overall look here at night than it is for the day across NY/PA 

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Last EML a few weeks ago generated that TOL TOR warning and that huge ping pong / tennis ball hail from UConn up thru TOL to Stafford to s Central Mass all with temps near 50

I don't recall an EML with that. Was there one?

I recall a major surge of MUCAPE coupled with very strong effective shear values.

27 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

There is an EML lurking on Thursday night. While inverted, hail and good LTG certainly are possible for SNE. 

I mean that's actually not a bad look for nocturnal elevated severe convection even east of the slight risk. CON is like 1500 J/kg MUCAPE and effective shear approaching 40 knots. I'd hit that.

15 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I don't recall an EML with that. Was there one?

I recall a major surge of MUCAPE coupled with very strong effective shear values.

Meh on the EML there, but the elevated CAPE was all nicely situated in the hail growth zone and shear was more than sufficient for supercells. 

58 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Struggling to get above 50F up here.  Snow virga up at Cu level.  Mt Washington is 25F with snow showers.  Surprised PF isn't posting flurry pictures at Stowe.  Would guess its cold enough?  

It feels like it should be snowing.  

It is frigid.

1pm and sitting in my car outside the Mountain Operations office as gusty NW winds rip sheet rain sideways down the lot.  Feels like a late October nor'easter.

Car says 42F...at 1pm on May 20th.  Fuk this.  From dews in the 60s to ambient temp in the low 40s the next day on a late May afternoon.

IMG_3255.PNG.052bf2462d2122e909eb6f6aee7b7107.PNG