• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

At least it's good for snow preservation in the upper 30s in the mountains. 

This is pretty absurd at this point.  

You can see JSpin's photos in the NNE thread showing a 5-foot depth the other day after the snowstorm.  

The 65-year average depth is 21" and it's still sitting near 5 feet on Mansfield at 3,700ft.  That's getting impressive.

IMG_3221.PNG.94ab74739e366e8be3184ad49c8ca31b.PNG

11 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

At least it's good for snow preservation in the upper 30s in the mountains. 

This is pretty absurd at this point.  

You can see JSpin's photos in the NNE thread showing a 5-foot depth the other day after the snowstorm.  

The 65-year average depth is 21" and it's still sitting near 5 feet on Mansfield at 3,700ft.  That's getting impressive.

IMG_3221.PNG.94ab74739e366e8be3184ad49c8ca31b.PNG

Crazy how max depth occurred exactly on the multi year average 

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Beautiful sunrise this morning. Couple of showers today, then weekend looks nice. 80s Monday.

No sunrise to see thanks to clouds, and now showers.  P&C forecast has low 70s here for Monday.  We'll see whether/how long we warm sector - could be 60s, could sniff 80.  At least it's not like early April when we were driving home from WVL in upper 20s SN while the grandkids in SNJ were getting out summer clothes for sunny upper 70s. 

3 hours ago, dendrite said:

Just when you think we’re done with rain and 40s...

we rain and 40s

We both may bust ...but your bust is a bit more modest ( by magnitude ...) at 59 and 64, NAM and GFS respectively ...plausibility nonetheless.  Right now ...WPC analyzes the warm from roughly mid-state NY to SW CT... I'm not seeing it as interested in moving NE given to obs and satellite trajectories and so forth.   And speaking of sat... back building gunk ceilings after this swath of warm frontal rains ... seems this is a failed WAA push that only augments the llv cold resistance - part of the 'tuck curse' we enjoy for winter storms in the winter but loathe when wanting heat in the summer.  Ha, as an aside, it's like penance for our cold lusty sins -

Anyway, 72 to 69s across the SNE board and that looks unlikely at this hour ... buuuuut...heh, days are long now.  Sun is high enough to even add some diurnal heating if it were to say ...clear out between 3 and 5 pm and we can bootleg highs that cheat and make the day look like it musta been sooo awesome for everybody  :axe:

15 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Crazy how max depth occurred exactly on the multi year average 

Yeah it follows the average graph pretty well but just way above.  

Definitely the best mountain snowpack year I've ever experienced here.  I mean look at that, we set record November depth of 40" and then it never looked back.  Start to finish well above normal.  

The one thing this year is there was no mid-winter thaw that wrecked like feet of snow.  I think that's what stands out at home too in the valley, solid snow cover from Nov 12 into April.  

For Mansfield, two years stand out for May 17th... 1969 that we chased all season (only crossed its snow depth twice, once in November and once in January) had 68" today vs 57" this season.  

Also 1997 had that obscene late season snow when MWN got blasted and that depth was 69" right now on Mansfield.  

4 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Hopefully the evening is pleasant. Have to head to Newtown tonight. ughhhhhhhh

Nothing wrong with Newtown! Besides the taxes and the drive to get here, on a Friday.....Clouding up nicely now, but the air has that summer smell to it along with a nice breeze. 

3 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

You can’t want severe 24/7 but then hope for pleasant when it suits you. Stick to stroking one weenie and one weenie only.

I meant pleasant temperatures....but yes I can.

2 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

Nothing wrong with Newtown! Besides the taxes and the drive to get here, on a Friday.....Clouding up nicely now, but the air has that summer smell to it along with a nice breeze. 

I like Newtown...although I HATE driving through there when I go to Danbury or Newtown from Branford. Like 95% of the ride is going through Newtown lol. It legit takes about 40 minutes from the end of 25 to Danbury which is only like 22 miles. 

I didn't even realize I had to go to Newtown tonight until like 9 last night so I'm just going back to West Hartford after work, taking a nap, and doing a few other things. I'd much rather the 84 drive than the Branford to Newtown crap