Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

26 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I'm not judging...  not now anyway -

"To me" the logic of purchasing extra charts escapes...  Seems futile.  You've seen X  ...  X's derivative isn't changing X 

But then again, I don't by scratch tickets either ... using your metaphor about gambling.  Not sure it's the same thing..but we'll go with it  :) 

Yeah...like I said, I don't immediately ascertain why anyone would subscribe to see the same stuff.  It's just painted a different way and or delivered a little bit earlier... In struggling to understand why, I come up with reasons/information that seems related/relevant ...   If that's touching nerves - sorry... 

Yeah gambling wasn't really a good example except to say people throw their money at a variety of things I'll never understand but I don't judge them for it.  There's almost always another option for something, like why do some stop daily at a Dunkin for coffee when they could just make it at home and save themselves the $2? 

And it wasn't the question that touched a nerve, just the daily psych analysis that seems to offer this opinion that if you are doing it for the learning, great...but if you follow and discuss weather/graphics/snow/etc for pleasure then there's some issue with it (plug into the pleasure circut as you call it).

47 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Maybe I misread your tone bou really are hung up on this psych stuff these days, man.  Everyone rationalizes parting with their money, but who is here to judge why someone buys some scratch off tickets, a daily cup of coffee, an afternoon coka cola, etc... but not sure what the point you keep trying to make about pleasure though.  

Seems everyday there's a veiled shot at folks who get pleasure or enjoyment from different weather or looking at products.  I guess I'm addicted to snow.  I literally shaped my life around it and enjoy skiing 130 days a year.  Maybe that's a bad thing and I need help :lol:.

We know plenty of meteorologists also seem to get their rocks off on big progs when they come out.  You don't think NWS doesn't text their friends when a huge stemwinder shows up on a day 3 prog?

Yeah. Myself as well as others addressed that a few months back. I never understood the subtle bashing of people who enjoy snow, especially on a weather forum. I guess we are all guilty of it (calling others out for their passions) ...For me it's busting on the one HHH lover, Kevin.  Mainly because I don't really think anyone truly likes wicked high temps and dews, but instead they like the reaction from people for touting the love of such horrid conditions. 

I suppose if I had more time to truly delve into meteorology, and the nuances , I might enjoy paying a fee for weather data.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I don't know why y'all even 'subscribe' to those sources...  

You're not missing out on anything using free data.  One can get just as charged/neurotic rocks off ... by BUFKIT in convection season, or snow growth season ... or what's available of the Euro.. and of course, the GFS suite is pretty much an open book to the public anyway. 

You gotta get the charts two hours before general consumption or you missed out?   seems a bit irrational...and I'm not really sure seeing 'tweener sigma level details really changes a general synoptic understanding and intuitively derived interpretation of atmospheric events nearly enough to sweat those two hours.  

But, people have money to part company with it I guess... 

If anyone has money to part with, i will gladly take good care of it

The 12z gefs continues with the discontinuous for timing day to day sensible weather in the longer range but you can see an evolution to lower heights across the west and Pac nw and a more zonal flow across the N tier of the US and also Canada. Reminds me of a few of our biggie svr events.. :D

21 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah gambling wasn't really a good example except to say people throw their money at a variety of things I'll never understand but I don't judge them for it.  There's almost always another option for something, like why do some stop daily at a Dunkin for coffee when they could just make it at home and save themselves the $2? 

And it wasn't the question that touched a nerve, just the daily psych analysis that seems to offer this opinion that if you are doing it for the learning, great...but if you follow and discuss weather/graphics/snow/etc for pleasure then there's some issue with it (plug into the pleasure circut as you call it).

If it is addictive behavior ... there's a problem. It may only be harming one's self - but ...to each his own.  I'm not going to quibble over semantics when what I just said is right ....

you should read about the smart phone addiction stuff - it's real man... This chart lust and storm seeking thing is a pleasure circuitry, and that's how addictive behavior works ...a device whether the thought of that is offensive or not.  just sayn' 

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

Yeah the only time I buy lottery tickets is when there’s a huge payoff and I understand I’m throwing away my $$ ($20 maybe) once a year on average 

Have never bought one - in fact, last time I made a bet with money involved was with a friend in 1973 when we disagreed whether Aaron would pass the Babe that season.  (He came up one short, giving me the win.)  Every time a lottery/gambling question has come to an electorate vote, I've checked "no", even for the Maine Outdoor Heritage Fund while knowing that our agency would be (and frequently has been) in line for grants from that fund.  It's a personal conviction only, not a crusade.  I did play two tickets that first year (1974?), given me by friends.  It would've been impolite not to.

GFS giveth and taketh away - 12z run sniffs 80 for central Maine on Monday, while the holiday weekend struggles to reach 70 (after showing mid-80s for several runs.)  Mostly cloudy here, but about 10F milder than yesterday's high of 48.

2 hours ago, Cyclone-68 said:

This is probably a silly question but I’ll ask it here anyway, has Boston ever had a severe thunderstorm move from E to W into the city from the ocean? Excluding hurricanes I guess? 

I know in 1987 there was an ULL stalled nearby where strong convection came in from the NNE. I heard stories of strong onshore flow in Salisbury causing damage there. Pretty wild. 1987 was a top tstm # of days season for these parts. 

• Thanks 1

Just quickly reading this thread.  I don't mind paying $$ for a service.  This is my hobby and fortunately, I can afford $250 a year.  PF was the one that told me about Weatherbell and I have really like their EZ click where you can quickly compare parameters from prior model runs.  I was tired of asking "how much in my backyard" questions.  Now Weatherbell is changing the format and doing away with EZ click, hate the new layout. .  Tried WXUS but don't like that and tropical tidbits doesn't have enough info.  Dryslot said something about SV.  What is that?  Can any of you suggest other paysites I might look at.  I'm not renewing Weatherbell if they take down their legacy site.  Thanks..  Gene

2 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Just quickly reading this thread.  I don't mind paying $$ for a service.  This is my hobby and fortunately, I can afford $250 a year.  PF was the one that told me about Weatherbell and I have really like their EZ click where you can quickly compare parameters from prior model runs.  I was tired of asking "how much in my backyard" questions.  Now Weatherbell is changing the format and doing away with EZ click, hate the new layout. .  Tried WXUS but don't like that and tropical tidbits doesn't have enough info.  Dryslot said something about SV.  What is that?  Can any of you suggest other paysites I might look at.  I'm not renewing Weatherbell if they take down their legacy site.  Thanks..  Gene

https://www.stormvistawxmodels.com/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weathafella said:

I pay because:

1.  It makes no difference in my standard of living and I enjoy the information.

2.  The older I get, the more inclined Ian to buy whatever the fuk I want 

Yep and when I was running a facility the micro regional stuff was invaluable. In 25 years, not one unwarranted outdoor function or building closing . 10 bucks a month, shit Tip spends that on Christine's Valentine present.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

If it is addictive behavior ... there's a problem. It may only be harming one's self - but ...to each his own.  I'm not going to quibble over semantics when what I just said is right ....

you should read about the smart phone addiction stuff - it's real man... This chart lust and storm seeking thing is a pleasure circuitry, and that's how addictive behavior works ...a device whether the thought of that is offensive or not.  just sayn' 

I won't argue with you on weather being a pleasure circut to most on here (myself included), and I know most pro mets are the same way.  Addicted to a physical science and snow, tornados, hurricanes, etc... could be worse.  

Anyone telling themselves otherwise on here is lying to themselves.  But hobby and addiction can co-mingle.  My dad is addicted to golf, or is it a hobby he likes to do a lot?  I would never shame him for it though :lol:.

Anyway, beautiful day out there.  Quick hike after work had calm wind and partly sunny skies with sharp flat Cu bases floating by.  

2 hours ago, weathafella said:

Yeah the only time I buy lottery tickets is when there’s a huge payoff and I understand I’m throwing away my $$ ($20 maybe) once a year on average 

You're saying $20 million isn't a huge payoff? ;)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Fisher has 86 and humid in BOS Monday 

The day's got bust potential written all over it... One of those deals where 20 miles N of that extended warm front/statonary boundary may be 53 with on-off strata mank, while 20 miles S of wherever it aligns sits at 84 with laze faire flags wobbling and even a crackle of thunder from a TCU that's probably developed because said boundary is turning BD... usual shenanigans for this time of year.... 

The trick is naturally ...where does that front situate.

Haven't seen this 18z coming out as we type just yet but up through the 12z cycle ... models had been edging the boundary N like 25 miles per run... So no hurry to adjust it.  That, and climo... heh...hard to count on a N position with that sort of feature at this time of year.  The eastern end of that will likely sag back some...  I'd feel better about that if the models would up and knock on PF /Drylot doors

• Like 1

3 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

If anyone has money to part with, i will gladly take good care of it

Lol... 

We used to do speed chess marathons on this site called 'Gamecolony' ... you could play for money on those...  So (brilliant I know...) when people wouldn't play - we came up with "TakeMyMoney" as a user name... You'd be surprised how often that worked... suckers - we play chess ....          well

People and money - ...it's funny too. Because economics and money is the ultimate human contrivance/delusion. It's really ultimately meaningless - it only has value because we think so... But it's empty. Whenever en masse a decision could ever be made, or gosh forbid ... forcibly made ( and you can bet ur a panties that time is coming...) guess what?  no value, instantly. 

It's not like a fundamental low of the Universe, without which matter as we know it disassociates into its constituent sub-atomic fermionic particles ..then evaporates into Plank length theoretic quantum foam.  Oh my god, without this dollar bill....

It's hysterical ... perhaps for the other definition of what that word means to hear /read about people jumping outta windows during stock market crashes... They're emptied ... by emptiness its self.  Fascinating. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, weathafella said:

I pay because:

1.  It makes no difference in my standard of living and I enjoy the information.

2.  The older I get, the more inclined Ian to buy whatever the fuk I want 

That’s right muthafuka.

4 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Just a fantastic day in the CRV!

Just awesome, weenies out.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I won't argue with you on weather being a pleasure circut to most on here (myself included), and I know most pro mets are the same way.  Addicted to a physical science and snow, tornados, hurricanes, etc... could be worse.  

Anyone telling themselves otherwise on here is lying to themselves.  But hobby and addiction can co-mingle.  My dad is addicted to golf, or is it a hobby he likes to do a lot?  I would never shame him for it though :lol:.

Anyway, beautiful day out there.  Quick hike after work had calm wind and partly sunny skies with sharp flat Cu bases floating by.  

Agree. What people do with their money and time is all good. That’s what makes the world unique. I don’t understand nor will I ever spend my time watching the end of a fishing pole nibble once every 6 hours but if anyone else wants to...go for it.

15 hours ago, Cyclone-68 said:

This is probably a silly question but I’ll ask it here anyway, has Boston ever had a severe thunderstorm move from E to W into the city from the ocean? Excluding hurricanes I guess? 

I am quite certain it has happened. Maybe not due E to W but certainly with an E component. 

• Thanks 1