Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

33 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The lack of sun this May is 2005-esque....not quite on the level of that 3 week shitstorm with only a few days off between reloads....but it's in the same solar system anyway. So many days of slate overcast and light precip intermixed with an occasional bluebird day.

yeah it's funny you mentioned that 2005 shitshow ... 

I was thinking that this cannot compare.   Like you mentioned... having 1 day in 5 that approaches dandy destroyed the shit average ... leaving that in first place - haha.    

Folks need to appreciate just how bad that was ...  20 someodd days < 50 F with mist in between nor-easter reloads.   You can't write that tortured fiction ...  I'm pretty sure there were noodles and bouncers with the rain in the worcester hills during one or two of those coastal accelerations, too -

Augusta up to 42° at 3 PM - woohoo! 
Prior to this year, latest date for first 70+ at my place was 5/10 in 2014; got to 67 on 5/6 for this year's mildest.  12z GFS has Augusta reaching 75 on Monday, but the temp that day has to climb 30° in 6 hours with 60-90% cloud cover, and light NE winds for at least the first half.  I don't think it works that way... 

Same run has nice upper 80s at BDL late month, if one can trust days 12-14.   :weenie:

21 minutes ago, dendrite said:

May 05 sucked, but I’m glad I wasn’t alive for May 67. I’ll add that May 05 only had 3 days with a max temp under 50° at ORH. I’m sure there were a few cheap midnighters in there, but still.

May '67 had 2 separate snow events in the interior hills. May 6-7 and then May 25th....the latter had 6-8 inches in the Monadnocks. Incredible for almost June.

31 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

May '67 had 2 separate snow events in the interior hills. May 6-7 and then May 25th....the latter had 6-8 inches in the Monadnocks. Incredible for almost June.

Memorable winter where I then lived in NNJ, 2nd only to 60-61.  1st thundersnow experience in the 12-15" dump on Christmas eve, about 100" total despite a totally lost January, then a 1.5" surprise on 4/24, latest I'd seen accumulation.  That mark lasted 3 days, with 3" coming overnight to the morning of the 27th.  Co-workers trying to trout fish in N. PA on the 6th had to deal with 1-2" of IP/SN, then on the 25th gales toppled newly-leafed oaks while NYC had a high of 46, about 30F BN for the date.

I doubt it topped 40 at my place this afternoon, though the day's high will be 45, set last evening at my 9 PM obs.  Lots and lots of cheapo highs like that since the first one on Nov 15 - afternoon 17 (would've set a new mini-max for my records) scotched by the 33 observed the evening before.

37 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

PWM has 6 May measurable snow events I believe, and 3 were 1967.

2 hours ago, Dr. Dews said:

we have a full five months of summer wx and discussion still to come, it's awesome.

In 5 weeks the daylight starts getting shorter again.  How's that for a soul-crushing thought?  

lol, I love this daylight, never want it to end.

It snowed with a July 28th sun angle today in the high mountains.

18 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Looking back at this winter, feel fortunate to get near 50”. This is another winter with a double digit snowfall. Since  2005 only two winters have failed to have a double digit event. That’s really remarkable. 

You guys have been nuts with snow.  When the winter tenor flat out sucks but you still get 50" there with a fun 16-18" event...still a great run.  It really is hard to fathom a series of winters there where 6-8" is a huge event.  

20 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

You guys have been nuts with snow.  When the winter tenor flat out sucks but you still get 50" there with a fun 16-18" event...still a great run.  It really is hard to fathom a series of winters there where 6-8" is a huge event.  

This was strange. While the pattern sucked most of the time, each event sort of did better than I hoped. The November event dropped over 5”, January flash freeze, late Feb snow event and then 3/2. Most of those events were like 4-5.5” instead of 3.5” but still...all relative. 3/4 was ultimate. Just a dumpage at 31.8F. I was worried I would rot at like 32.5 and have more trouble accumulating. 

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Feels silly talking snow to PF :lol: 

I'll talk snow all day long.  Luckily we have climo to compare to so everyone is on even ground.  I'm always jealous of your windy snowstorms at home.  I can't get a 15mph breeze in the valley when it snows :lol:.