Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Models trended the wrong way in the final 24 hours or so. The sfc low shunted east while the ULL was way back NW in the adirondacks...we wanted a tighter system with a longer period of deeper lift. 

Still impresive for mid May though even as is. Looks like ORH prob had some mixing as they reported UP overnight at 36F. 

This winter's tenor continues right into the afterlife.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

It's been raining, a lot lately.

And I can't express how pissed I am that I can no longer get any access to historical data for KTAN.  I love to see daily's and monthlies, but those pages don't want to load anymore.  It pushes the page to KEWB.

Now data on the NWS Boston web page

10 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Nothing is going to beat the Memorial Day weekend snows.  Not sure if that was ever remotely in the cards with this one...

5/26/67 must've been close - same date as 2013 though prior to the holiday weekend.

Looks like Maine was too far east for best banding and cold air.  Same thing happened 3 years ago, Rangeley/Jackman with cold RA while N VT (and Aroostook) got 3-5".  That pre-dawn radar loop suggests the Maine mts might've gotten a bit this time.

11 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Crazy how it's still 48F at 1250ft in Jackman, ME.  

Wet bulbing is real.

They have some snow there on the grassy surfaces but meh.

11 hours ago, Whineminster said:

Ya I had like a period of heavy snow in that lol ....I remember because I hadn't even been out here a year...and I be like wow this would never happen back in Natick. 

So my call of 3 flakes there busted................:(

22 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Looks like water droplets to me. No way they had ice. 

Agreed on both counts...that's def water. The temps obviously didn't support ice, but you can also see a total lack of deformation in the appearance of the water...if it was ice, I'd expect to see some stretching/distortion of the droplets as it accretes/freezes.

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Agreed on both counts...that's def water. The temps obviously didn't support ice, but you can also see a total lack of deformation in the appearance of the water...if it was ice, I'd expect to see some stretching/distortion of the droplets as it accretes/freezes.

Colder water has a higher surface tension too so you can get good sized droplets keeping form. 

Keep in mind ...there are other elevations missing out on this anomaly. 

There is an actual cold pocket of air rattling around inside this slow moving trough...and if a 1,500+ ele pokes into they're going over... 

Overall ..pretty well handled by most guidance I saw -

6 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

oh man...I shouldn't have posted that 1730z day 2 outlook from last year earlier...should have just did the day 1 and did the day 2 and 1730 and relieve the moment

Hit the packy, close the shades, and set the alarm for 6/20. 

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Hit the packy, close the shades, and set the alarm for 6/20. 

I remember one time (think it was 2008) I stayed up all night b/c we had a chance for severe in the AM and it was like 6:30 and I decided to take a quick nap before the storms came...I had headphones on, slept through the alarm, and missed hail.