Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

Just now, dendrite said:

Feeling pretty good about some light accums even at my place. Maybe C-1" here and 2-5" for Gene? If we could really pound at 33F maybe we squeak out a sloppy 1-2"?

Wish we had a moon-shiner in stoddard-Nelson-Washington area at 2K that logged in. 

Looks like outages there 

11 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

Yesterday I drove through the Berkshires on I-90 and there was several inches of snow at the peak, particularly just east of the I-90 high point.  I'm surprised the reports only show 0.5".

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=ALY&product=PNS&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

DSCN8575.JPG

That pic looks like maybe an inch.

5 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

That pic looks like maybe an inch.

I think it was 1-2" but we're splitting hairs.  That's still more than 0.5". That grass was pretty thick.  At the rest area there were people making snowmen pretty easily so definitely more than and inch from what I could see.  My point was that the official reports weren't reflective of ground observations.

Besides, it was neat to see on Mothers Day!

4 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

That doesn’t look like half foot to you.

babe I swear ..it’s 6”

lol...still better than 0".

5 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

I think it was 1-2" but we're splitting hairs.  That's still more than 0.5". That grass was pretty thick.  At the rest area there were people making snowmen pretty easily so definitely more than and inch from what I could see.  My point was that the official reports weren't reflective of ground observations.

Besides, it was neat to see on Mothers Day!

lol...still better than 0".

Did you make a snow weenie?

38 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Feeling pretty good about some light accums even at my place. Maybe C-1" here and 2-5" for Gene? If we could really pound at 33F maybe we squeak out a sloppy 1-2"?

Lower elevations it will come down to rates, But i could see some getting into 1-2" with good rates and more up in elevation of course.

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Looks a hair warmer in the BL than 6z.

Yeah, although I wonder if a fluctuation of like 1F could be driven by model forecasted VVs too. If that sharp area of vorticity can generate some convective precip like some soundings show, that will paste you guys. Seems like maybe a burst after 6-9z there. 

20 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Wish the ULL was about 100-200 miles south. Then this whole thing would be a lot more interesting. 

But, even a few flakes in mid-May is pretty rare. 

Will if you had day off Tuesday and were chasing snow on this one , where would you go tues am. 

Monads, or Kanc?

22 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Will if you had day off Tuesday and were chasing snow on this one , where would you go tues am. 

Monads, or Kanc?

Most of the dynamics are well north by Tuesday. You'll want to go way north. At least it the whites but Maine is probably even better. 

For tonight, monadnocks are a good spots. Like that stoddard/Washington zone. Lots of road access to 1700+ feet in that area. 

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Most of the dynamics are well north by Tuesday. You'll want to go way north. At least it the whites but Maine is probably even better. 

For tonight, monadnocks are a good spots. Like that stoddard/Washington zone. Lots of road access to 1700+ feet in that area. 

Def not going to Maine , I don’t necessarily need it to be snowing , just arriving to a plastering 

was really wondering where you beleive there will be best shot of high totals 

not driving tonight to Stoddard and getting stuck in 5 inches of mashed taters at 2am lol

1 minute ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Def not going to Maine , I don’t necessarily need it to be snowing , just arriving to a plastering 

This time of the year you pretty much need it to still be snowing to view a plastering on the trees still. The temps will be like 40-50F when the system is over so melting will be pretty fast...exception might be really high up like above 2k feet. So your best chance is prob Kank in those 2500+ spots. They are gonna get some good snows.

But if you can get out tonight between 9pm and 2am for a slightly shorter drive, I think monads are pretty good. Not confident in big snows there though. I'm a little worried about residence time of best lift...I'd like to see it last a bit longer than current guidance shows. Maybe it will...yesterday certainly over performed. 

Thanks Will , my only concern with a 9pm drive is being in such a remote area (western monads) where there will certainly not be plows out and if this did go to town down to 1500’ ...I’d be stuck ..huddling by the side of the road next to Jebediah Springfield’s house dodging falling branches and moon-shiners...But we shall see .  I’m looking for roads in around 2K .

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Thanks Will , my only concern with a 9pm drive is being in such a remote area (western monads) where there will certainly not be plows out and if this did go to town down to 1500’ ...I’d be stuck ..huddling by the side of the road next to Jebediah Springfield’s house dodging falling branches and moon-shiners...But we shall see .  I’m looking for roads in around 2K .

Get yourself a truck and 4 wheel drive for heavens sake...and you'd be fine..especially in May.