Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

My dad used to disconnect the belt to the AC to get better mileage. lol

Years back many did the exact same thing rather then spin the compressor as it had a separate belt before the serpentine belts took over, Those Ford Crown Vics, Caddilac Sedan De Ville's and Buick Lesabre's like to guzzle gas back in the day, Those 460cu and 454cu engines were not fuel efficient ..........lol

52 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Years back many did the exact same thing rather then spin the compressor as it had a separate belt before the serpentine belts took over, Those Ford Crown Vics, Caddilac Sedan De Ville's and Buick Lesabre's like to guzzle gas back in the day, Those 460cu and 454cu engines were not fuel efficient ..........lol

Had a 1970 Olds Toronado back in the day. Those took a back seat to none in terms of gas guzzling and exhaust system destruction. Front wheel drive I believe as well.

9 minutes ago, scoob40 said:

Had a 1970 Olds Toronado back in the day. Those took a back seat to none in terms of gas guzzling and exhaust system destruction. Front wheel drive I believe as well.

Yup, Front wheel drive, And great in the snow,  I had a 1968 Toranado, Same as one as below, 454/385 hp, I use to love the speedometer in those as they were a cylinder, That was a real good cruising car that use to go like a MOFO, I remember hitting 120 mph on the ME Tpke with that car and it felt like you were going 50 mph.............lol

Toronado_69(101).jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

Yup, Front wheel drive, And great in the snow,  I had a 1968 Toranado, Same as one as below, 454/385 hp, I use to love the speedometer in those as they were a cylinder, That was a real good cruising car that use to go like a MOFO, I remember hitting 120 mph on the ME Tpke with that car and it felt like you were going 50 mph.............lol

Toronado_69(101).jpg

Sweet ride:clap:

18 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Just saw that Midwest storm we were talking about last night brought 10.9" to Duluth, MN.  Holy crap that's a solid May snowstorm.  Obviously breaking all May records since records started in 1884.  

Nothing like M1/4 +SN in May.

18 plus in New Mexico  8 to 12 in Colorado 

IMG_20190509_190043.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It’s amazing but I just have no interest or excitement about those snowfalls in Mayorch. In the winter I’d be be so upset we didn’t get that. But I’m so into warm and summer mode , no interest and no thanks. 

I'm pretty sure you'd be all in over another May '77.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It’s amazing but I just have no interest or excitement about those snowfalls in Mayorch. In the winter I’d be be so upset we didn’t get that. But I’m so into warm and summer mode , no interest and no thanks. 

Now take the model runs next week... Euro and GFS have 30s and rain up this way.  I would root for snow if the alternative is 38F steady rain.  Probably my threshold is anything under 45F and rain might as well be snow.  I'd rather 70F and sun or a humid rain with thunder...but there's not much worse than upper 30s and rain.  That's when you might as well root for catpaws or something interesting.  

18 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Now take the model runs next week... Euro and GFS have 30s and rain up this way.  I would root for snow if the alternative is 38F steady rain.  Probably my threshold is anything under 45F and rain might as well be snow.  I'd rather 70F and sun or a humid rain with thunder...but there's not much worse than upper 30s and rain.  That's when you might as well root for catpaws or something interesting.  

Obviously snown in May sucks but as weather oddity pretty cool and something to say you witnessed. 

56 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I'm pretty sure you'd be all in over another May '77.

It is surprisingly difficult to find much information on that storm on the internet.  Local library archive stuff.  I remember taking a Polaroid photo from our 2nd floor, back porch in Cambridge of at least 1” of snow on the house next door, which was literally 5’ away. 

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Obviously snown in May sucks but as weather oddity pretty cool and something to say you witnessed. 

Everyone can say what they want but I agree with Dendrite...folks would be sucked in quick.  We'd have an 80-page thread going a mile a minute if models were showing 1-2" QPF with 850s of -6C over ORH or something like that happening tomorrow ;).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

It is surprisingly difficult to find much information on that storm on the internet.  Local library archive stuff.  I remember taking a Polaroid photo from our 2nd floor, back porch in Cambridge of at least 1” of snow on the house next door, which was literally 5’ away. 

From Blue Hills Observatory