Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

40 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yeah half of them occurred during that wet, dewy stretch mid month. Again, it's more about the clouds/rain than the temp itself. People would rather have 55/30 sunny days than 62/48 garbage where it's only near the high for about 2 hours and then it rains and we wetbulb down to 50F for the majority of the time.

Agree but for a very few here it will be considered to be part of a "warm" pattern. 

You know what kind of surprises me (and perhaps it just has to do with the fact that I don't have a full understanding of the entire picture)? That strong/super-strong EL Nino events outweigh strong/super-strong La Nina events...even though the different isn't much...even being similar surprises me. 

La Nina events are virtually just a "glorified" ENSO neutral event...or an ENSO neutral on steroids (so to speak). It is easterlies which predominately dominate the equatorial Pacific. EL Nino events are an anomaly, but in the complete opposite direction...either extremely weak easterlies (or in the case of the stronger episodes) or even reversal of the easterlies...you would think this would be a much more difficult feat to accomplish. 

Back to the opening statement in parenthesis....it's perhaps just not an understanding of something. Is it a climate change/global warming connection...one could make that wager that the oceans are warming, but since 1950 the distribution of the strong events are pretty even. Maybe there is something to do with the GWO and/or Hadley cell disruption.  

It's like when we see an anomaly in the opposite direction there is a higher likelihood for a greater anomaly (the anomaly of course being SSTA's on the warmer side).

It's also interesting b/c the QBO behaves similarly, but it's the easterlies typically end up being stronger...so opposite. 

56 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Sustained summer is far, far away. Of course one or two days tickling 80 past the 15th and the dewy ditty team will be pumping their little man boobs.

What do you mean?  We are in peak summer right now.  With 200% leaf out and window units installed last week.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Cloudless this morning, with the sun trying to melt the frost on car roofs - was chilly enough to freeze the droplets left from yesterday's 0.09" showers.  Glad the leaf-out is a few days behind schedule, as I anticipate low 20s at my place tomorrow morning.  Aspens are greening up, but they can survive that cold.

23 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

I'll be happy with some dry days.  Friday looking fairly dry now-most models have less than .15 especially south coast....

It’s all about dry and not temps. We may start turning the corner slowly by month end. Nobody really wants a repeat of last summer’s monsoon season.

24 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Wiz rap?

gotta make sure to be specific otherwise arguments ensue lol. Someone will post how lovely it is in their area and someone else (assuming that b/c that person it is nice is talking about the entire world) who is not as fortunate will reply back saying the wx is crappy and its not as good as they're making it out to be and a 3 page long argument breaks out. 

4 minutes ago, weathafella said:

How do these temperatures equate to early summer outside of anchorage?   I mean it’s a nice day but still far from summer.

You're right, It doesn't.  It's just Dr. Dew and his twin trying to be funny and slinging nonsense all the time.    We haven't even had our first 80 degree day yet.