• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

Every single model source has all of those stupid freaking pathetic piece of garbage snowfall maps (which are then tailored to just spit out ridiculous snowfall amounts) but the only model sources I can find which provide lightning density forecasts are either from the HRRR or on Ryan Maue's page with the euro. Algorithms and such exists which can be used to forecast potential lightning production BUT ALL THESE MODEL PLACES JUST CARE ABOUT THE DAMN SNOWFALL MAPS. ITS RIDICULOUS. Who gives a flying monkey about some basic calculation to provide a snow output...yeah b/c snowfall totals are dependent on some stupid fixed variables and some basic crap. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Blast from the past, was in his class when the difax printed out the Blizz of 78. URI just was awarded as the NOAA ocean institute with Bob Ballard. Before I retired he was renting out space at the museum for dead sea artifacts. 

Was trying to remember which building that was in.  Was it Washburn or Edwards?  I was doing the forecast one early morning with Steve Cascione when we saw an arctic front with squalls coming in.  Temps dropped about 30 degrees and there was a whiteout across the quad.  Fun times!

Just now, HimoorWx said:

Was trying to remember which building that was in.  Was it Washburn or Edwards?  I was doing the forecast one early morning with Steve Cascione when we saw an arctic front with squalls coming in.  Temps dropped about 30 degrees and there was a whiteout across the quad.  Fun times!

Washburn 3rd floor I think

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Every single model source has all of those stupid freaking pathetic piece of garbage snowfall maps (which are then tailored to just spit out ridiculous snowfall amounts) but the only model sources I can find which provide lightning density forecasts are either from the HRRR or on Ryan Maue's page with the euro. Algorithms and such exists which can be used to forecast potential lightning production BUT ALL THESE MODEL PLACES JUST CARE ABOUT THE DAMN SNOWFALL MAPS. ITS RIDICULOUS. Who gives a flying monkey about some basic calculation to provide a snow output...yeah b/c snowfall totals are dependent on some stupid fixed variables and some basic crap. 

Tell us how you really feel Wiz :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

Who cares about lighting production 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Cloudy, light off and on rain today,  low 50's.  Was hoping for a few hours of warmth before cool air moves in for the rest of the week but that was a fail.  Enjoy the great day southerners

Has been a perfect day, 60s with a cool breeze.  Very enjoyable day spent outside. 

• Like 1

Rained up until about 2-3pm but now a sweet evening with late day sun.  

Some trees just popped with small leaves pretty much overnight.  The beginning has arrived... still looks a lot like stick season but there's some light green on the crowns in spots down in town now.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Rained up until about 2-3pm but now a sweet evening with late day sun.  

Some trees just popped with small leaves pretty much overnight.  The beginning has arrived... still looks a lot like stick season but there's some light green on the crowns in spots down in town now.

Was saying the same thing at work today. Pretty much overnight Bam! Leaves come out. 

Yeah lots of leaves perked up over the last 24hrs. My tulip poplar is leafing out and the shagbark buds are swelling and ready to go. Unfortunately it looks like the wet stretch has taken out 3 of my american chestnut trees....one is definitely dead. Another is showing early signs of blight, but is still trying to leaf out. The 5th one (driest spot) looks the best.

53/50 now and clearing out after 0.06” rain with the front. Should be a nice next 36-48hrs with sun and low dews.

20 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Fisher forgot to say everyone of those 70 degree days had rain at some point.  Yesterday was spectacular but rain fell on the baseball games

Yeah half of them occurred during that wet, dewy stretch mid month. Again, it's more about the clouds/rain than the temp itself. People would rather have 55/30 sunny days than 62/48 garbage where it's only near the high for about 2 hours and then it rains and we wetbulb down to 50F for the majority of the time.

• Haha 1