• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

Today is the first day in probably 15 that really has a chance to maximize irradiance and bust MOS ... maybe a little cool - would be more demonstrative if we didn't suffer the strata deck back east during the 9 to noon hours, but now that its evaporated off we should see some rebounding.  Where it's been more fortunate/earlier in the deeper interior it's gotten 71 at enough Davis'  ... it has that back-patio warm vibe, while only 65 at NWS sites ... A typical distribution sheltered spring high sun days. Light wind is helping that too... 

But, noticing the NAM's MOS is 75 at KFIT tomorrow - ..that's gonna be a sensible oddity compared to the last week of conditioning - 

Even in an overall shitty pattern ...we can scrape by.  This is noooo 2005 -

2 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Passenger in the car today for the 350 mile round robin trip from Central NH to Fall river and back. So nice to see green up in E Mass true spring. Clearing coming SW off ocean should b a great afternoon for most

I've always enjoyed trips with lots of seasonal changes to view.  When our daughter graduated college in upstate SC in 2000, we left (IIRC) on May 4 with conditions about what I expect late week this year.  SNY along I-84 was late spring, with leaves about 3/4 full size.  Saw some retreat in the hills of NE PA, and more driving thru the infertile coal country south of Wilkes-Barre.  Couple dozen miles north of Harrisburg the highway drops about 1000' over 4-5 miles, and at the south end it was full leaf-out, late spring.  That slowly backed off as we gained altitude (and lost latitude) on I-81 thru VA, back to the SNY conditions but with the 4000' ridge to our west looking like S. Maine.  Near the VA-NC line, I-77 drops 1500' in 5 miles, and at the bottom was full-on summer, mid 80s, humid, visibility <5 miles in haze.  Then we got to do it in reverse 3-4 days later.

Sun and low 60s here, best day of spring so far.  (Will pay for it late week.)

2 minutes ago, Sn0waddict said:

Seems like every Friday has been wet/cold for the past month + now.

Lock it in. When I see MOS hitting 29F at CON and precip hot on its heels 24hrs later, I know the next day will be a cold, wedged rain.

• Sad 1

I'd say that's snowin' into the Worcester Hills ... Not like it's -1 ... it's a good -4 at 850 

But...the Euro op. model has been routinely straining credibility by diving the lower troposphere beneath climo or even reasonableness in just about any day coming into D8 thru 10 range... It just seems that the anomalous nature of the -NAO is not something it's state of the art correction schemes is designed to handle ... Sarcasm aside, it's been having to correct D6 to 10 quite often since this anomaly set into the model frames some two weeks ago.  

In other words, easy sell - ...probably it's 57 F and more mist as usual.  Punch clock  -

13 minutes ago, Sn0waddict said:

Would be nice if maybe, just maybe, we could get a half decent Sunday too.

So, are you saying at this point in time, I should reconsider my planned Saturday hike into Tuckerman Ravine on Mt. Washington for some skiing. I've been eyeing doing this for almost every weekend for last month hoping to ski back to Pinkham Notch and avoid the slog out and the weather has been too snowy, cold, icey, rainy, foggy, et cetera. Very frustrating!

32 minutes ago, Angus said:

So, are you saying at this point in time, I should reconsider my planned Saturday hike into Tuckerman Ravine on Mt. Washington for some skiing. I've been eyeing doing this for almost every weekend for last month hoping to ski back to Pinkham Notch and avoid the slog out and the weather has been too snowy, cold, icey, rainy, foggy, et cetera. Very frustrating!

I mean as of now Sunday looks ok, at least the first half,  but that’s almost a week a way. You are better off just waiting a few days and seeing where we are at then..