Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

8 hours ago, mreaves said:

That last paragraph brings up an interesting point. With the advent of large biomass burning power facilities, wood pellet stoves and other uses for lower quality wood and wood chips, there is often a lot less material left behind on logging operations. Wood chippers are brought in to to harvest much of the stuff that used to be left behind. What type of impact, if any, has this practice had on forest regeneration and wildlife habitat?  The legislature here in Vermont had the state Forests and Parks department conduct a study a few years ago but I haven’t seen any report on findings yet. Have you noticed any impact in Maine?

Not much, especially since whole tree harvesting (WTH) doesn't necessarily mean whole stand harvest.  A study of nutrient cycling after a clearcut, with different treatment of limbs and tops, was installed nearly 40 years ago at Weymouth Point, near Chesuncook Lake, perhaps 40 miles NW of MLT.  The thinking had been that WHT clearcuts on infertile soils (like the study area) might result in deficiencies, especially with softwoods which (other than my username here) carry multiple years worth of nutrient-rich foliage.  WTH in hardwoods, which generally are dominant on more fertile sites, were not thought to be problematic, especially with winter cuts.

The study, and follow-up projects there (herbicide and precommercial thinning on a portion, re-measure last year) have not shown much effect, nor much difference in soil nutrient capital from the uncut control watershed adjacent to the clearcut watershed.  A different study will look specifically at forest regeneration over the next few years with/without the slash being left in the woods.  If one is interested in more details, a search for Maine CFRU (Cooperative Forestry Research Unit) can find out more.

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

I can’t wait for a snowy stretch with multiple 32/25 type days strung together so that I can say we’re in a warm pattern and that it’s just the clouds and snow keeping us from 45F. 

All winter long you see warm colors at H5 and it's "luckily it's cold at the surface with CAD and wintry precip" as a response.  The Gypsies start hatching and those same colors at H5 signify a warm pattern. 

Got to 56F here today and it felt downright balmy...shorts weather.  Crazy to say that about mid-50s.

8 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Looks fairy meh unless you’re along the water 

Looks like the 12z run you've got there...

I was looking at the 18z data... didn't check 12z, but I honestly don't care.  Just looked at the latest stuff and it looked juicy.  Who knows what is correct.

This is the latest run of that model you posted.  If it were winter, we know which one would be the favorite ;).

qML0M50.png

Just now, powderfreak said:

Looks like the 12z run you've got there...

I was looking at the 18z data... didn't check 12z, but I honestly don't care.  Just looked at the latest stuff and it looked juicy.  Who knows what is correct.

This is the latest run of that model you posted.

qML0M50.png

Yeah who knows. Scoots made a good point the other day when he said we’re at time of year when you start tossing big coastal qpf events to convective feedback. As they model high amounts too far north when its generally closer to the front and convection 

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You should see a pretty substantial outbreak up there this spring based on the maps of the ground studies they did and ones you had last year 

Crazy how localized they are. I have never seen any around here in the New Haven area. If the fungus doesn't kill them this year there are going to be massive amounts of them. Look at the egg mass increase.

gypsy-moth-grid-poster-2016-print.jpg

2017-2018-egg-mass-survey-results.jpg

14 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yeah who knows. Scoots made a good point the other day when he said we’re at time of year when you start tossing big coastal qpf events to convective feedback. As they model high amounts too far north when its generally closer to the front and convection 

Yeah I agree in the sense that a large uniform precip shield doesn't seem as likely this time of year.  Precip is more convective wherever it ends up.  Winners and losers, ha.

20 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Crazy how localized they are. I have never seen any around here in the New Haven area. If the fungus doesn't kill them this year there are going to be massive amounts of them. Look at the egg mass increase.

Saw a couple crawling around my back porch today..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

We had gypsies here last year. Devastating. July 4th looked like early April. Haven’t noticed them this year yet. Still no foliage yet on the oaks. Hopefully most come back to life. 

Yeah, hopefully they leave some foliage for next season as well.

1 hour ago, BrianW said:

odd.  I have never seen any here in my 30 years here (SW CT) however growing up outside of Philly they were everywhere-stripped whole trees clean

11 hours ago, wxmanmitch said:

83° F/ 77° F here in SW FL off a high of 87° F where I am for the weekend. Absolutely brutal, it's instant sweat on the forehead and sunglasses fogging up when stepping out of the AC into the sauna. Fortunately, I don't think I'll ever experience these kind of dews where I live. 

You do get used to it, and there is always a breeze; like like NE when it's humid and stale with no air movement.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Modfan said:

You do get used to it, and there is always a breeze; like like NE when it's humid and stale with no air movement.

It’s been great. I’m enjoying it. Given the disaster up there, I’ll take this in a heart beat. Looking forward to summer weather soon hopefully. 

12 hours ago, dendrite said:

Looks like the black flies decided to arrive today. Can’t even enjoy the first nice evening. 

They're just checking the menu.  If it's warm next weekend, they'll be out for blood.  Have not even seen the early midges yet here.  Might see a cruising black fly next weekend.

Reached 59 in the clouds yesterday, but humid enough to produce a lot of sweat as I hauled some firewood to the road.